Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there sufficient protein in eggs and milk ?

Options
  • 28-11-2016 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

I'm vegetarian, well mostly. On an average day I only consume eggs and milk in terms of protein source. I generally add Quinoa to my vegetables but a lot is lost in the 'gravy'. I'm not looking for medical advice,I'm just wondering whether this is enough for a consistent runner?thanks S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Spirogyra wrote: »
    I'm vegetarian, well mostly. On an average day I only consume eggs and milk in terms of protein source. I generally add Quinoa to my vegetables but a lot is lost in the 'gravy'. I'm not looking for medical advice,I'm just wondering whether this is enough for a consistent runner?thanks S

Depends how much you eat of them!

People over complicate protein; just have a decent source with each meal; for you that will mean more plant rich sources.

Can you add a little cheese or yoghurt?

Add a little whey to your porridge in morning?

Another very good contributor here to an excellent website
    http://sigmanutrition.com/episode133/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Based on a very unscientific sample of one (me!): I'm vegetarian, have been for years, and I run 30-40 miles a week. I have milk in my porridge and in my tea and coffee, an egg and a yoghurt for lunch, usually something with beans/ chickpeas, or some nuts for dinner and I always feel fine, don't have any problems with injuries / tiredness etc. (Obviously I eat other food during the day too, but those are my main protein sources.)

I don't think I'm training hard enough to need to worry about extra protein, just my normal food seems fine, so I'd say eggs and milk would be fine for you. Once you're not hungry and running ok, I'd say it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Spirogyra wrote: »
    X = Amount of protein you need (Google it)
    Y = Amount of protein you eat (measure it)

If X < Y, increase Y. It's really not that difficult. Yes, X can have a range of values, but a bit of trial and error is all that's needed

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Cheese, tofu, beans, eggs, lentils & nuts are all packed with protien.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

positron wrote: »
    Cheese, tofu, beans, eggs, lentils & nuts are all packed with protien.

And seeds. Add pumpkin/sunflower/ whatever seeds and nuts to your porridge and it meets most of your protein needs for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Learn to love tofu and cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

OP I'm not veggie but have been trying to cut meat from my diet. I'm 3 weeks off meat now - not long enough to say I am a vegetarian, but I am getting there.

Ways that I have managed to bulk up my protein intake are:

one full egg and the white only of a second egg.
    soya yoghurts with added protein
    protein pancakes
    lentils
    cottage cheese
    protein milk (supervalu and avonmore have versions of this)
    chocolate protein milk
    I also take BCAAs when I train which gives me an extra 5-10g of protein, depending on how much I take

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

WHat happens if you dont eat enough protein ? Does it make any difference running wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

youngrun wrote: »
    WHat happens if you dont eat enough protein ? Does it make any difference running wise?

Constant fatigue is one of the issues with low protein, which can't be good for you running. Apart from that
    The last sign to look for that might indicate a lack of protein in the diet is a feeling of low energy, moodiness, and the inability to handle stress well. Without protein to stabilize the blood sugar, the tendency to experience exhausting highs and lows in mood and energy increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I eat fish about 3 times a week if I did not I would be vegan. I was also worried about protein intake. I find chick peas and black beans along with lentils and peas sufficed when I was using the C25K app.

Im thinking now that I might need to get a protein supplement as my running distance is increasing every week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

pcuser wrote: »
    I eat fish about 3 times a week if I did not I would be vegan. I was also worried about protein intake. I find chick peas and black beans along with lentils and peas sufficed when I was using the C25K app.

Im thinking now that I might need to get a protein supplement as my running distance is increasing every week.

Why would you think you need a supplement? Why can't you just eat more foods which are high in protein? Nuts, seeds and tofu are full of protein along with the beans and peas and lentils which you're currently having, so that is plenty of protein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Ososlo wrote: »
    Why would you think you need a supplement? Why can't you just eat more foods which are high in protein? Nuts, seeds and tofu are full of protein along with the beans and peas and lentils which you're currently having, so that is plenty of protein.

Not all proteins are born equal. There is a problem for vegans in this sense since they can't take fast acting proteins like whey which are extremely useful for recovery after workouts when compared to more slow acting plant based proteins. Also with plant based proteins being weaker than than animal based ones means that you need much more from plants than you do from animal based which can cause a problem when it comes to quantities of food. It's not something I've delved into much but sometimes, supplementation is not as bad as the rep it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Two bananas, half pint of milk, two eggs and a tblspoon of peanut butter into smoothie maker and whizz. Delicious protein shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

dekbhoy wrote: »
    Two bananas, half pint of milk, two eggs and a tblspoon of peanut butter into smoothie maker and whizz. Delicious protein shake.

not for vegans, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

dekbhoy wrote: »
    I dont drink milk or eat eggs, Just soya milk.

Advertisement