Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Puppy German Sheperd Lab Cross

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Google the raw food diet, or BARF diet. There's also a mega thread on it in this forum, will go find it for you.
    Cooked meat is great too.
    I've been feeding the fish, meat and bones to pup since the day I got her at 8 weeks :)

Edited to add: link to megathread... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80681796

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I'm sure it was dbb that mentioned something to me about feeding puppies little bits of different foods as they're then more likely to eat/tolerate different foods/flavours/textures when they're older (sorry if it wasn't you dbb!).

Wish someone had done it with my dog- he'll turn his nose up at organs if they're not chopped finely enough for him. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

So seen pup we're definitely going with him, they are just fab.:D
    So he's 8 wks tomorrow so will get him a wk or two, want to have all prepared for him before arrival. Cant wait. Thanks for all the info re everything, it is a great insight to things for me.
    He will no doubt break hearts :D But he will be well looked after and spoilt rotten. Our little one just thought he was fab so can see the cuddles already:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If the pup is being kept outside and not getting much socialization don't wait another two weeks, get him tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

If the pup is being kept outside and not getting much socialization don't wait another two weeks, get him tomorrow.

I agree. The 8 week to 14 week period is pretty critical for puppies to experience as much good stuff as possible (meeting different people, men, women, children, young, old, disabled, people with beards, hats, glasses, etc!) especially if you get a German Shepherd-type. And that's not including noises and other outside experiences.

A heck of a lot of people don't realise the impact you have on a puppy in those first few weeks, it can last a lifetime.

My first puppy came from a breeder whose litter was mainly kept outside when they were old enough to walk and not wobble around (he wasn't a 'bad' breeder, but I certainly know better now), my first boy was 8 weeks when we got him, he is a wonderful dog, well rounded, loves people, nothing bothers or scares him really. He's unfortunately a dog I will probably compare every future dog to.

However, we picked up his sibling a month later, at roughly 12 weeks of age. A much more nervous pup he was (keep in mind he was mostly reared outside, in a country environment, he didn't get to experience much compared to my other pup). He is nearly five years old now. He doesn't like strangers much, he avoids having anyone touch him that he doesn't know, he is quite jumpy when it comes to sudden sounds and is scared of random things, like a cardboard box, or if you hold a book or something similar in the kitchen, he is afraid of things being dropped on the floor near him or make a sudden loud sound. My two boys, despite being from the same breeder, couldn't be more different. I put it down to him missing out on those crucial few weeks where he would experience new things and the hustle and bustle of a family home.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Can anybody give me advice on this food, the man in the shop told me today that red mills have upgraded their food now and it is a very good one. Seems to have a good meat content compared to some of the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dubjay

not sure never used it i use orijen. 80% meat 20%fruit/veg.id love to use an Irish brand just my dog has a very gassy sensitive stomach and this food is the only one that he thrives on puts weight on and solid poops  unfortunately it is the dearest but check it out on dog food review. all other food was giving him very soft stools

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

dubjay wrote: »
    not sure never used it i use orijen. 80% meat 20%fruit/veg.id love to use an Irish brand just my dog has a very gassy sensitive stomach and this food is the only one that he thrives on puts weight on and solid poops  unfortunately it is the dearest but check it out on dog food review. all other food was giving him very soft stools

There is a new Irish food called Titan, I don't know much about it, just had ads popping up on my FB timeline. Its says 80/20 as well. It is saying it is an Irish food, but is probably made in the UK, however, as an Irish company, it will employ at least some people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dubjay

I will look it up. I tried AATU which is the same 80/20 but it worked out dearer. I get great deals with the same pet shop now but the results are unreal. It's like the dog is been fed steroids muscles and veins popping out also his weight is slowly gaining but I'd love to support Irish. The other dog is on hills metabolic

Advertisement