Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you date someone who didn't speak your language?

Options
  • 27-11-2016 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭

Walking down the street today and saw this gorgeous female coming towards me talking to her girlpal. As she got nearer, I could hear she was speaking in what sounded to me as an east european language and I lost interest. I would need to be able to communicate properly with a love interest. (For all I know, she could have had perfect english and I have nothing against East Europeans). I recall the film where Colin Firth had an affatuation with someone who didn' t speak english. So, you are in a club. You approach an attractive member of the opposite sex and ask them to dance. They nod yes. You continue to dance and the body language between you is hot. During an interval, you realize they don' t speak a word of your language. Do you persist? Give up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

blackcard wrote: »
    Walking down the street today and saw this gorgeous female coming towards me talking to her girlpal. As she got nearer, I could hear she was speaking in what sounded to me as an east european language and I lost interest. I would need to be able to communicate properly with a love interest. (For all I know, she could have had perfect english and I have nothing against East Europeans). I recall the film where Colin Firth had an affatuation with someone who didn' t speak english. So, you are in a club. You approach an attractive member of the opposite sex and ask them to dance. They nod yes. You continue to dance and the body language between you is hot. During an interval, you realize they don' t speak a word of your language. Do you persist? Give up?
    If they had basic English? Sure.

If they had no English? Probably not, it would make communication difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Happily married to an american, does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The nightclub scenario is different though, not a date.

As for actual dates, in my early days in Japan I went out with some girls whose English was no better than my woeful Japanese, and communication was really slow and halting and just painful. Frustrating more than enjoyable, even though we might both have liked each other.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 BlindBoyRB

I can't even get the ones who speak English to go out with me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

What if they gave you a Vegemite sandwich?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Grunting and moaning is the same in any language. :)

I've been with loads of eastern European girls and I have learned a good bit of polish along the way.

I like slim women with small breasts so I kind of have to look east. I'd rather learn another language to talk than try to dance in a nightclub any day of the week! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm German and am married to an Englishman. He doesn't speak a word of German, other than what he thinks he learned from Hollywood films on WW II.
    Yes, I've dated a good few people who didn't speak my language. I even asked one of them to marry me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It would mean dating them purely for what they look like so no, I couldn't. It would be boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭elstingeo

If the person has a good understanding and command of English then yes. Otherwise how could one build a solid relationship without a common means of understandable communication. I am currently seeing a woman whose first language is not English although her understanding and use of English is extremely close to being fluent and I could not imagine dating her if we could not communicate. If believe that if one was to date someone without a common means of communication then how could one form a relationship or even be true intimate bar intimacy of a physical level. I believe a lot of this is common sense and logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I did a few years (a lot of years )ago it was fun and interesting.

No clue when she was giving out to me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My wife is eastern European. She went home after we first met and started English classes. The rest is history.
    I've no interest in learning her language for he sake of 2weeks a year on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Polish girls tend to be very very attractive....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Polish girls tend to be very very attractive....

Oh Jesus aye. I fcuking adore Karolina Kowalkiewicz. A Goddess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm German and am married to an Englishman. He doesn't speak a word of German, other than what he thinks he learned from Hollywood films on WW II.
    Yes, I've dated a good few people who didn't speak my language. I even asked one of them to marry me ;)

"Hollywood films" Schmeckt gut ja

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

No I want an Irish-man. Preferably a Galway man. If he exists! :pac:

(I've just realized there's 2 stickingouttongue smilies and now I'm killed trying to see what's different in the 2 of them! :o ) Can't see anything but I'm not uber observant so it might be past me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Let the language of love speak for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've worked in multinationals for years and dated some initially but I found that aside from the language barrier, the cultures and sense of humor were often very different.

In the end I guess I just prefer our own .. and I don't buy this default notion that "eastern European girls are far better-looking/easier to get on with than Irish". From experience I know that's not true :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Walking down the street today and saw this gorgeous female coming towards me

Female what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I went on a date a while back with a Spanish lad who had very poor English. He found it difficult to understand my rural Irish accent and couldn't really articulate himself very well. ... He'd try and say something, couldn't think of the word so I'd suggest some. My interest waned very quickly, it was a tiring evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I'd get over it to be honest. If she were happy with the stilted, slightly awkward beginnings I'd happily give it a go.

But, I'm in a relationship longer than peanut and butter have been doing the rounds. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I went on a date a while back with a Spanish lad who had very poor English. He found it difficult to understand my rural Irish accent and couldn't really articulate himself very well. ... He'd try and say something, couldn't think of the word so I'd suggest some. My interest waned very quickly, it was a tiring evening.

Exactly.. the idea is to have a enjoyable evening getting to know each other.. not spend the night in an impromptu language class. You'd see how that would get draining after an hour or two.

For me though it wasn't so much language (although things like slang would be a problem) but things like cultural differences (no shared history/common knowledge/references etc), sense of humor etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

So how would they know that you want to dance ;)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    So how would they know that you want to dance ;)

You go up to a girl and do this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT_IiHsZtWg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭tomthetank

Nah I'd get either impatient or bored within a few minutes. Ya need to banter with someone to build the spark. At least I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I'm a male in a heterosexual relationship. Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

I would encourage you to continue to avoid relationships with foreigners in Ireland which leaves more for me.

Eastern European in particular Lithuanians Ukrainians and Poles and South American women are stunning.

I avoid dating Irish women who drink to much eat crap dress badly and have unrealistic expectations.

Foreign women have taste education sophistication and want to improve their English which means they are more open to dating than Irish women who are shrewish deeply insecure and sexually uptight.

I avoid dating Irish women who drink to much eat crap dress badly and have unrealistic expectations.

For a second there I thought you were going to make a sweeping generalisation. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I would encourage you to continue to avoid relationships with foreigners in Ireland which leaves more for me.

Eastern European in particular Lithuanians Ukrainians and Poles and South American women are stunning.

Foreign women have taste education sophistication and want to improve their English which means they are more open to dating than Irish women who are shrewish deeply insecure and sexually uptight.

Irish women also love commas. We can't get enough of them. So probably better that you stick with the Lithuanians Ukranians and Poles and South American women tbh.

Advertisement