Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you can't do at 40

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Understand Care about millennials.

Fixed.

Can you still say 'mate' in your 40s?
    I'm not so sure....

your Ma can:D, and regularly does...quick put on your clothes mate, the other half will be home in five mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

As a 40 year I look much younger than my age and I live like that too. 40 is a great age to enjoy life if you have not burdened yourself... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Tick the "Age: 30 - 39" box on market surveys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

You won't be able to recapture an unrecapturable moment when infinite, incandescent, potential shattered into the black spiral of endless shattered dreams.

And you won't be able to join the army.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

Marry your great great grandmother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

harr wrote: »
    Drink...bloody 2-3 days hangovers ��

I still do it though :o

I'm 36 now but feel like I'm 26.
    When I stop and think sometimes that I'll be 40 in 4 years I can't believe it.
    When I was younger 40 seemed ancient!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

You're too old to use Snapchat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Go back in time.

You need to be doing 88 mph.

Be a dickhead and blame it on drink.
    Be as oblivious to how short life is, or to how many more people you know are getting ill/dying/having negative life changes, or how the career things you battled for in your 20s and 30s aren't as important in the big scheme of things now.

It's a nicer, calmer, more meaningful place, frankly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Go back in time.

You need to be doing 88 mph.

and a DeLorean sports car available to convert with a flux capacitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Cant wear jeans.
    Cant drive a convertible without looking like a d1ck
    Cant put up with idiots ....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Comb my hair.

Because it's gone.

Or cope with hangovers, in my 20s I could stagger in the door at 4am and be up for work at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

RobertKK wrote: »
    As a 40 year I look much younger than my age and I live like that too. 40 is a great age to enjoy life if you have not burdened yourself... :P

45! Unburdened myself to a certain degree and life is great. I too look younger than my years. I have less money, but I still managed to keep my missus.:D No more rat race! I see couples in the early 30s looking like they are in their 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

johnty56 wrote: »
    Will be forty soon.. got me thinking about things that I can't do anymore- not physically, but legally for example..

- can't join the army
    -can't join the guards-
    -probably can't get a mortgage

anyone got any others?

And yes, I can still get it up:)

You'll get a mortgage at any age (below 70) but many banks state the max age for paying it back is 70 so you could effectively get a mortgage at 69 for one year so long as you can show you have the means to pay it back within that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Its just a number!!! You can do anything and more.

I'm 41 and fitter now than at any point in my life so far.

Don't sit around believing its to late or not right time .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Grandeeod wrote: »
    45! Unburdened myself to a certain degree and life is great. I too look younger than my years. I have less money, but I still managed to keep my missus.:D No more rat race! I see couples in the early 30s looking like they are in their 60s.
    Never forget.

If you win the rat race you're still a rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Never forget.

If you win the rat race you're still a rat.

Thanks for that. Still happy and content within myself.

Care to explain what you meant??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Not for a typical house in Dublin you can't over 35, banks will just laugh at you unless you have around a 50% deposit.

You can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Age is just a number, I only started growing up when I hit 46 :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Grow a hipster beard, a proper one without looking like Lee Marvin in Paint your wagon, the skinny jeans would be a definite no-go unless you have an Iggy Pop physique.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Jack Nicklaus won the US Masters, his final Major at 46.

There's still hope after 40, please don't give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Op, you will start to become increasingly flattered by any kind of mistaken identity that might imply that you are younger.

I went on a family sun holiday when I was about 18 and my dad must have been about 43/44. My dad and I went out earlier than the rest and ended up in this disco bar playing Connect Four at a bar table. One of the bar staff came over, lit a candle and we were thinking "okay whatever". Then later the bar guy said something that implied that we were actually together...ewww! Ha! Seriously though, that was weird but my dad was still delighted that anyone would think he was young enough to go out with me ha! :)

Also happened my brother one night when he was out with my mam! :/:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I too feel like I'm getting on a bit. Not near the 40 mark but still.

Ahh you know what? I'd rather be old than dead tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Its just a number!!! You can do anything and more.

I'm 41 and fitter now than at any point in my life so far.

Don't sit around believing its to late or not right time .

Me too man, 35 and only getting going. Did 5k fun run in 26 minutes recently.
    Couldn't have done that at 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Meet up with your mates in Odessa for Sunday post hangover brunch & pitchers of cocktails - because they're all tied down with partners & babies :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jack Nicklaus won the US Masters, his final Major at 46.

I won the Irish (Judo) Masters at 50 [+100kgs] ~ Nicklaus won a game of golf and a few quid :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

.....give a fcuk about most things that seem to "news"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Take some yokes and go stone mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I won the Irish (Judo) Masters at 50 [+100kgs] ~ Nicklaus won a game of golf and a few quid :rolleyes:

4 rounds of strokeplay against the best in the world of professional golf. Most of whom were in their prime.

It was a magnificent achievement.

Congratulations to you too for your victory in the Irish Judo Masters.

I was only trying to make the point that age doesn't always matter, the will, the dedication, determination and drive can carry many sportsmen past the prime ages of youth.

Advertisement