Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will Dublin's public transport be 10 years from now

Options
  • 23-11-2016 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭

In November 2026, how much different will Dublin's public transport look compared to today? Do you envisage much improvements? If so, what improvements are likely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Luas BXD will be running. There might be a BRT running on the N11 or the N3 corridor. That's about it, to be quite honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What are the big differences since 2006 10 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Maybe we'll be able to get a bus after half 11

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

What are the big differences since 2006 10 years ago?

Extensions on green line to Brides Glen, and on red line to Saggart and the Point. The RTPI for Dublin Bus. Can't think of a lot else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Buses and bikes only in the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

A few weeks trams and a new colour scheme for Dublin Bus. (I'm an optimist)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Chivito550 wrote: »
    In November 2026, how much different will Dublin's public transport look compared to today? Do you envisage much improvements? If so, what improvements are likely?

Well considering that forward development is being reversed to how it was years ago I would hazard a guess that public transport will be the only way in or out of Dublin City unless you are within walking/cycling distance.

College Green, Dublin some time ago...
    https://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.joycesdublin.ie%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2009%2F12%2FCollege-Green-Dublin2b-1023x674.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.skyscrapercity.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1639844&docid=U4KWD3NnF92gNM&tbnid=4OmXXt04rY8GAM%3A&vet=1&w=1023&h=674&bih=331&biw=1022&ved=0ahUKEwjmh8qAib_QAhVJKsAKHUkyCpsQMwg3KBQwFA&iact=mrc&uact=8#h=674&vet=1&w=1023

College Green, Dublin to be...
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=college+green+proposal&rlz=1C1VFKB_enIE663IE663&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwixop7aiL_QAhXFB8AKHQipAKUQ_AUICCgB&biw=1022&bih=331#tbm=isch&q=college+green+pedestrian+proposal&imgrc=zQ5xfhyn-vdbIM%3A

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Maybe some park&ride schemes at the outskirts on N4, N3, N2, M1

Some better PT connecting Sandyford area

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

The metro and interconnector will be announced again, with money assigned to planning and design stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The DB "pay parity with LUAS" strike of 2017 will have ended with a Varadkar government closing Dublin Bus and instructing the NTA to tender for private operators on city services. After significant disruption and a wildcat Irish Rail strike, Dubliners will welcome the new services run to a strict SLA - one of the private operators will lose their franchise on a route because their drivers refuse to operate the middle doors. Metro North and Dart underground will go ahead as part of a crash program to alleviate chronic gridlock - costing twice as much as they would have cost in 2016. The city centre will be largely closed to car traffic, and Dubliners will enjoy sitting out in the evening at cafes on Dame Street, a howling wind whipping through their legs and heavy rain hammering against their heads.

hmmm wrote: »
    The DB "pay parity with LUAS" strike of 2017 will have ended with a Varadkar government closing Dublin Bus and instructing the NTA to tender for private operators on city services. After significant disruption and a wildcat Irish Rail strike, Dubliners will welcome the new services run to a strict SLA - one of the private operators will lose their franchise on a route because their drivers refuse to operate the middle doors. Metro North and Dart underground will go ahead as part of a crash program to alleviate chronic gridlock - costing twice as much as they would have cost in 2016. The city centre will be largely closed to car traffic, and Dubliners will enjoy sitting out in the evening at cafes on Dame Street, a howling wind whipping through their legs and heavy rain hammering against their heads.

you're an optimist aren't you?!

Maybe trains to Maynooth after 9pm on a Sunday

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Some better PT connecting Sandyford area

Sandyford does not have bad public transport. It does not have perfect public transport but it has a high capacity tram running up to every 5 minutes, via a route that has virtually no interaction with traffic taking 20 minutes to/from city centre starting an hour before and finishing an hour later than virtually every other public transport operator in the entire city.

Whilst there may be scope for some orbital route improvements in the area, there are many areas in dire need of proper public transport that are heavily bus dependent or have much poorer frequency and journey times and are suffering overcrowding and a service that starts too late and finishes too early.

Your post reminds me of some guy on the DART a few weeks ago moaning that Dun Laoghairie has terrible transport and too many old buses are on the route. I mean it only has the highest capacity buses in the whole fleet, the highest frequency of any bus service, the highest frequency of any rail service and a direct airport rout and some old dear or guy moans because the bus is not a 162 reg and is a 08.

What we do need is to sort out congestion in the city centre which is only going to get worse in the coming years and to also get some proper transport infrastructure on the northside because else there is going to be a traffic armageddon there soon since the vast majority of people have no choice but to use the bus since the majority of that part of the city don't have anything else.

I believe we should invest in the Southside too though to reduce congestion and expand the benefits of non road transport in these areas as well though, but opening up new services and better transport to areas currently served, rather than blowing a whole load of money to simply reduce journey times by a fraction to areas that are already comparatively well served.

thomasj wrote: »
    Maybe trains to Maynooth after 9pm on a Sunday

I agree. however the Northside isn't glamorous enough for that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I hope more orbital routes to alleviate CC congestion. If I'm to anywhere around Dublin right now, its a 1 and a half hour trip that involves going into the CC and then switching bus to get to another 'burb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Great thread that depends on a bit of recent history. History always helps.:D

2006 - the world was our oyster despite previous form.

2016 - Nothing much has changed.

2026 - I guarantee you that any version of DU or MN will not be under construction.

If they have not done any proper transport infrastructure works in 10 years time we might need another recession to stop the city grinding to total Armageddon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Dublin Bus will be cashless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Self driving cars render other forms of public transport obsolete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Self driving cars won't make any change to the congestion problem,nor will they be allowed into city center most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As someone who lives as far away from Dublin as it's possible to get in this country, I have no doubt that 10 years will see absolutely no improvement in the public transport system in Dublin.

Its a mess, has been for many a year and hearing about how slow it is around the Red Cow will be on AA Roadwatch in 20yrs time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

maninasia wrote: »
    Self driving cars won't make any change to the congestion problem,nor will they be allowed into city center most likely.

If there's enough of them, they will. Self driving cards won't jump red lights, break speed limits, lane hop, make late lane changes, jump into braking distances, pass on the wrong side, drive without lights, make illegal turns, double park, harass cyclists, use bus lanes, drink tea or other refreshments, eat breakfast, apply makeup, read the paper, make phone calls or text, all of which are major factors in contributing to the absurd number of incidents ( I refuse to call them accidents, as the vast majority are forseeable and preventable) that occur on a too regular basis all round the Dublin area.

The biggest problem though will be the passengers that become impatient with the extra time that they think that driving properly is costing them, so they will want to take over from the automation, which will defeat the object, and perpetuate the problems that are the contributors to the delays.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Stuck in a traffic jam !!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maninasia wrote: »
    see point 4.
    http://www.cracked.com/article_24390_5-ways-driverless-cars-will-soon-make-your-life-hell.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If there's enough of them, they will. Self driving cards won't jump red lights, break speed limits, lane hop, make late lane changes, jump into braking distances, pass on the wrong side, drive without lights, make illegal turns, double park, harass cyclists, use bus lanes, drink tea or other refreshments, eat breakfast, apply makeup, read the paper, make phone calls or text, all of which are major factors in contributing to the absurd number of incidents ( I refuse to call them accidents, as the vast majority are forseeable and preventable) that occur on a too regular basis all round the Dublin area.

The biggest problem though will be the passengers that become impatient with the extra time that they think that driving properly is costing them, so they will want to take over from the automation, which will defeat the object, and perpetuate the problems that are the contributors to the delays.

If it comes to a situation where people do not own their cars and instead call them as needed it would be simple to car pool for commuting with little additional time needed.
    Commutes would be cut as you are collected and dropped off at your door.
    Congestion lessened as cars take quickest route available.
    No dreamers at green lights not moving or guys stopped in junctions blocking everyone.
    If trains went self driving (which could be done today imo) the cars could drop people at stations and collect them at the other side thereby further reducing congestion. Walking and cycling would be safer too.
    It will happen. 10 years might be optimistic in Ireland but other parts of the world will have this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Roadhawk wrote: »
    Well considering that forward development is being reversed to how it was years ago I would hazard a guess that public transport will be the only way in or out of Dublin City unless you are within walking/cycling distance.

Lucky there's somewhere between 0.8 million to over 1 million people within cycling distance of the city centre.

And cycling can help expand the reach of Luas, Dart, BRT etc. Some park and ride / cycle units at outer transport hubs would be great too.

Conditions for cycling just need to be improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I think self driving cars on demand will be big as well as car pooling on demand, so yes there's potential to cut down on extra trips and also maximize parking space.
    Self driving cars could have their own lane where they form convoy type lines for optimum speed and fuel efficiency.

Yes this all could help, the problem is that roads have limited space, and if commuters find it nicer and easier to travel by car instead of by bus, you just get jammed up roads again! Plus people may feel more comfortable with longer commutes as they work in the cars or sleep or jump each other :).

I see self driving cars offering no major step change from commuter hell.

Some kind of self driving on demand bus however could offer a medium level step change.

None of these options can compete with proper metros and rail mass transportation for shifting commuters efficiently.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3662/3398936283_9978441a5a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

monument wrote: »
    Lucky there's somewhere between 0.8 million to over 1 million people within cycling distance of the city centre.
    With those figures, you're suggesting the that majority of people in Dublin can cycle based on their location.
    And cycling can help expand the reach of Luas, Dart, BRT etc. Some park and ride / cycle units at outer transport hubs would be great too.
    Ive never used a park and ride so cant comment from experience but I would be inclined to think it would be terribly inconvenient to drive/cycle for 10 to 15+ mins to then wait for another 10 to 15+ mins for a train/bus/luas to arrive and then another 20 to 30+ min trip to the city centre. It usually takes me 1 hour (give or take 15mins) to drive without having to brave the elements and in the comfort of a heated seat and RTE radio 1 ;)
    Conditions for cycling just need to be improved.
    I agree with that...but not with at the expense of private motorist as a specific group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Roadhawk wrote: »
    With those figures, you're suggesting the that majority of people in Dublin can cycle based on their location.

Ive never used a park and ride so cant comment from experience but I would be inclined to think it would be terribly inconvenient to drive/cycle for 10 to 15+ mins to then wait for another 10 to 15+ mins for a train/bus/luas to arrive and then another 20 to 30+ min trip to the city centre. It usually takes me 1 hour (give or take 15mins) to drive without having to brave the elements and in the comfort of a heated seat and RTE radio 1 ;)

I agree with that...but not with at the expense of private motorist as a specific group.

LUAS is every 2-3 minutes in the morning, not 10-15 minutes. For those who live near a Park and Ride and work in town, it is a no brainer to take the LUAS and avoid the horrible gridlock that makes this such an uncomfortable city to move around.

Advertisement