Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access (or the lack of it) to broadband in Ireland.

Options
  • 22-11-2016 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

The following article was written by Brian O'Donohoe, the commercial director of broadband provider Imagine.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/national-broadband-plan-will-fail-those-in-our-country-areas-35229984.html
    An upcoming auction of the wireless "spectrum" - the available bandwidth that internet companies can use to provide advanced wireless services - could see mobile operators and larger telecoms companies with a vested interest in being subsidised to rollout fibre, snap up large sections of it, squeezing out wireless suppliers essential to the provision of rural broadband. If this happens, compounded by further delays to the National Broadband Plan, accessing high-speed internet could become even more difficult for thousands of homes and businesses, and those who rely on fixed wireless internet already may actually lose their existing connections. As we stand, thousands of homes and businesses dependent on existing fixed wireless connections are about to be put into limbo by the communications minister.
    Over the past two years, we have advised the Government, the Communications Regulator and Minister for Communications Denis Naughten of the global shift to fixed wireless as a solution to deliver high-speed broadband to rural areas urging them, in the national interest, to safeguard part of the spectrum for fixed wireless, thereby assuring internet access for thousands of people into the future. To date, this has been ignored.

Why doesn't the Government reserve part of the wireless spectrum for small companies that currently provide a wireless internet service? Surely, squeezing them out would be an abuse of power.

Furthermore, why doesn't the Government use satellite transmission to increase access to broadband?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Who's going to pay for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I presume it will be auctioned off for a fraction of what the taxpayer should be getting for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭political analyst

Doesn't the Government own the spectrum? Surely, it could allocate some of the spectrum to small broadband providers so that the big mobile and internet operators cannot abuse the power that comes with their prominent positions in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Squeezing Imagine out would be doing a service. Shambles of a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Broadband here is looking more and more like nuclear fusion; always just a few years away...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Haven't we already paid for fibre to every home in the country already. What happened was Eircom didn't reinvest any of the 50 euro per month for 25 years they were getting from everyone

Wireless is not the answer, it's too short term. But at the same time they shouldn't be selling off our spectrum so cheaply. Because we are not being sold cheap 3g/4g in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Well, for my broadband I have a choice of mobile (Three is the only one of any use) or a fixed wireless provider who have a terrible reputation. Until there is a proper rollout of fibre, I am left between a rock and a hard place.

Could go for satellite but the price is abortive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

FanadMan wrote: »
    Well, for my broadband I have a choice of mobile (Three is the only one of any use) or a fixed wireless provider who have a terrible reputation. Until there is a proper rollout of fibre, I am left between a rock and a hard place.

Could go for satellite but the price is abortive.

You won't get much of a wireless connection between a rock and a hard place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I use Imagine wireless and am happy with it. I don't download music or films.
    Is Denis O'Brien one of the bidders in the auctioning off of the internet or whatever is on offer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Commercial director of wireless internet company opposed to Government sponsored rollout of high speed cabled internet shocker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

diomed wrote: »
    I use Imagine wireless and am happy with it. I don't download music or films.
    Is Denis O'Brien one of the bidders in the auctioning off of the internet or whatever is on offer?

I use Imagine too. I imagine that I have broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

Lack? I have two providers one sending me 360mbps the other sending 80. I see no lack sir.

In all seriousness though the amount of people on sub 10megs is a shambles. In 2016, no one should phone up a provider and be told

1. No supply to your house
    2. You can get less than 10mbps*

*the former never happens they tell you up to 24mpbs and then you get a nasty shock when it's rubbish. They then proceed to waste 14 days of your time by then you're stuck in the contract because you're cooling off period sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

3.13Mbps download
    0.51Mbps upload
    I don't need faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I use about 30GB watching the needle hit the limiter on speedtest.net on my tablet in the arsehole of nowhere, I'm easily amused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Don't even bother reading this article. It's a load of **** coming from someone with a vested interest in wireless broadband solutions. Crooked Independent. SAD.

In all seriousness, we should not take this article seriously. The only consistent solution to rural broadband is FTTH, wireless doesn't scale and doesn't provide the same consistency, other wireless broadband providers would tell you this but Imagine are so far up their arse they won't admit it.

The Independent basically allowed someone to use their paper to lobby the government for something that is not in the best interests of those it would serve. This isn't journalism, it's selling out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

It's all about time management. It takes twice as long to watch . . er . . wildlife documentaries with the buffering, reducing productivity. I'd say the amount of man hours lost to stuttering wildebeest in rural Ireland would be a real eye opener

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I'm on 1mB down 54kB up, doing graphic design / video editing / 3d stuff

I have to turn down a lot of work because sneakernet is the only way I can deliver anything big.

I don't know what you think working from home means but there's a lot more to it than being able to check emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

stuttering wildebeest

:):):)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

We have discussed this article at length in the Broadband forum, and it's a disgrace that it was allowed to be published.

It's an advertisement, full of absolute rubbish, written by one of the directors of a company with a poor track record for providing rural broadband, trying their best to sell their latest product which doesn't live up to its claims and isn't fit for purpose, and trying to derail the National Broadband Plan because they were dropped from the running to get the contract, because the technology they propose to use isn't good enough for what's needed

Wireless was tried for the National Broadband Scheme, and was apparently rolled out to all the areas of the country that didn't have broadband, and yet here we are, EIGHT YEARS LATER, still complaining about the lack of rural broadband after the previous contract was finished.

If we're going to do this, it has to be done right for once and for all. And that means FUTURE PROOFED fibre-to-the-home connections. Nothing less.

We have a discussion ongoing in the forum here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259 both on Imagine's product and the National Broadband Plan. Please give it a read if you have time because articles like this lead to a lot of misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Furthermore, why doesn't the Government use satellite transmission to increase access to broadband?

I won't have that propaganda nonsense in my quote back to you ... utterly shocking and it was disgraceful for the indo to have allowed it to be published.

As @marno21 mentioned, we have this well and truly discussed on the Broadband forum, however to your point about Satellite. If you recall, the last* useless government plan, the National Broadband Scheme (NBS), this subsidised Three with rolling out their transmission network. Using 3G mobile was a bad solution as the coverage was never great in some really rural places in Ireland, but it was done and it's finished, so let's leave it in the past, where it belongs.

Satellite will give you full coverage of the country, YAY! However it is a waaaaaay more retrograde step than using 3G mobile, because (a) the latency will make anything like VPNs, video chat, etc. unusable (b) their data limits are laughable, unless you pay €€€€€ for a little bit more (c) in a rain shower (what do we get a lot of in this country) the signal quality will fall off a cliff and speeds will drop to nothing. BTW - I'm a former satellite broadband user. Never again.

So, please do not suggest Satellite is a suitable solution to our rural broadband needs.

*I refuse to acknowledge the completely impotent Rural Broadband Scheme, as that did absolutely nothing for everybody.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I won't have that propaganda nonsense in my quote back to you ... utterly shocking and it was disgraceful for the indo to have allowed it to be published.

As @marno21 mentioned, we have this well and truly discussed on the Broadband forum, however to your point about Satellite. If you recall, the last* useless government plan, the National Broadband Scheme (NBS), this subsidised Three with rolling out their transmission network. Using 3G mobile was a bad solution as the coverage was never great in some really rural places in Ireland, but it was done and it's finished, so let's leave it in the past, where it belongs.

Satellite will give you full coverage of the country, YAY! However it is a waaaaaay more retrograde step than using 3G mobile, because (a) the latency will make anything like VPNs, video chat, etc. unusable (b) their data limits are laughable, unless you pay €€€€€ for a little bit more (c) in a rain shower (what do we get a lot of in this country) the signal quality will fall off a cliff and speeds will drop to nothing. BTW - I'm a former satellite broadband user. Never again.

So, please do not suggest Satellite is a suitable solution to our rural broadband needs.

*I refuse to acknowledge the completely impotent Rural Broadband Scheme, as that did absolutely nothing for everybody.

So, genuine question, in short, without half an hour of technical language (I'm a bit dumb), what is the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Squeezing Imagine out would be doing a service. Shambles of a company.

Regardless of what you may think of Imagine, they are providing decent BB to a lot of people. I would be devastated if they had to withdraw the service - or any fixed wireless BB for that matter as I would presume any other WISP would be in the same position. FTTH might be the holy grail but until or even IF it ever materialises those WISPs are the only option I and many other rural dwellers have for at least half (in my case very decent) BB.

pilly wrote: »
    So, genuine question, in short, without half an hour of technical language (I'm a bit dumb), what is the answer?

A fibre connection leading from the cabinet to the home. The only answer is

1. Eir 1GB fibre to the home
    2. SIRO

Copper wire is useless in Rural Ireland as houses can stretch for miles and miles and once you pass a KM or so, the signal is too weak to carry anything past 24mbps and go any farther on copper and you may as well not bother. Most people are wired to telephone exchanges miles away from their home in rural areas and therefore copper is worth a ****e. Without fibre cables ran to the house (obviously the rest can be copper once you get it that far) you're at nothing. But eir seem very disinterested in doing that. They promised so many places 100mbps fibre but abandoned them to compete with SIRO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Edups2.0 wrote: »
    A fibre connection leading from the cabinet to the home. The only answer is

1. Eir 1GB fibre to the home
    2. SIRO

Copper wire is useless in Rural Ireland as houses can stretch for miles and miles and once you pass a KM or so, the signal is too weak to carry anything past 24mbps and go any farther on copper and you may as well not bother. Most people are wired to telephone exchanges miles away from their home in rural areas and therefore copper is worth a ****e. Without fibre cables ran to the house (obviously the rest can be copper once you get it that far) you're at nothing. But eir seem very disinterested in doing that. They promised so many places 100mbps fibre but abandoned them to compete with SIRO.

Okay, I understand the cable bit. Don't know what SIRO is. But if cable is the only option I kind of understand why it hasn't been rolled out so. There are so many one off houses around Ireland. Should the government really have to pay for cable to go to these houses? I don't think so. It's a choice you make to live in one.

morgana wrote: »
    Regardless of what you may think of Imagine, they are providing decent BB to a lot of people. I would be devastated if they had to withdraw the service - or any fixed wireless BB for that matter as I would presume any other WISP would be in the same position. FTTH might be the holy grail but until or even IF it ever materialises those WISPs are the only option I and many other rural dwellers have for at least half (in my case very decent) BB.

Most people with Imagine spend their time imagining what proper broadband is like. I had them for a short time in Wexford TOWN and I couldn't even get the 10mbps they promised with a full signal.

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    Okay, I understand the cable bit. Don't know what SIRO is. But if cable is the only option I kind of understand why it hasn't been rolled out so. There are so many one off houses around Ireland. Should the government really have to pay for cable to go to these houses? I don't think so. It's a choice you make to live in one.

Yes they should. I think attitudes like that are disgusting as well and the very reason we have this problem. Not everyone is happy to pack up and leave the house they may have lived in for donkeys years just to get some broadband.

Advertisement