Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mate's wife is cheating on him, should I tell him?

Options
  • 18-11-2016 1:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2

Would you tell someone if you knew for certain that their OH was cheating on them? I know a married woman who is cheating on her husband. He is a mate. There's no uncertainty, she is definitely cheating... I've seen her with this other guy. But I don't want to loose a friend, she might deny it and I might be the messenger who gets shot. But then I know that if I was in his shoes , i would want to know. They have young children. Any advice, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'd rather be told. If he's your mate, let him know everything you do and let him make his own decision based on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Say nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

You might as well try bang her as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

md403 wrote: »
    to loose a friend

You certainly do have loose friends.

You could arrange for a third party, who your mate doesn't know to phone him up and give him an anonymous tip off. It will need some piece of detail, like the name of the bloke, to be credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Send him an anonymous email. Can't shoot a messenger that you don't know the identity of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

No uncertainty? So it IS YOU.
    Just let him know so he can at least express his dissatisfaction. That's what a real mate would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I think your mate needs to be told. However you run the risk of ruining your friendship. Why not send an anonymous typed letter to your mate. That way he gets the information and there is no posssibility of any trouble for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Were I in your position OP, I'd like to think I'd put my friend first and tell him. Resorting to subterfuge to maintain your friendship is bad advice. Your concern should be for your friend, not how mad he may get at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

He's going to likely go spare OP, that's fair to say. He'll be mad at you for telling him, maybe. But how would he feel if you didn't tell him? He'll feel like **** he'll be distrustful but the last thing he needs is to doubt your friendship. I can completely see why you wouldn't want to tell him he's your friend and you don't want to say something thats going to cause hurt, but by the same token, you owe it to him BECAUSE he's your friend.

She will deny it. But a quick look at her emails or texts will confirm. If she's not willing to show then it's fairly clear there's something.

And don't go and say to her you know. Fact is he may be suspicious already. Your statement may be confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

md403 wrote: »
    Would you tell someone if you knew for certain that their OH was cheating on them? I know a married woman who is cheating on her husband. He is a mate. There's no uncertainty, she is definitely cheating... I've seen her with this other guy. But I don't want to loose a friend, she might deny it and I might be the messenger who gets shot. But then I know that if I was in his shoes , i would want to know. They have young children. Any advice, thanks.

It feels like the right thing to tell him but it's easy to do that, and wash your hands of it. What about watching their marriage break up? You can't be sure he hasn't done the same or..any number of things.

I'd suggest you tell her you know.

• Advertisement

It feels like the right thing to tell him but it's easy to do that, and wash your hands of it. What about watching their marriage break up? You can't be sure he hasn't done the same or..any number of things.

I'd suggest you tell her you know.

????

So he should be left there possibly thinking everything's golden when his wife is riding someone else? Jesus some people need to get a grip on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Why would the guy get angry with his mate for being told? They're mates...

OP tell him otherwise you're not really a mate.

I've said mate too many times in this one post.

Edups wrote: »
    ????

So he should be left there possibly thinking everything's golden when his wife is riding someone else? Jesus some people need to get a grip on themselves.

If he tells her she might stop. But ultimately it's between the two of them. I used to think it was best to tell the person but I don't think I could bring myself to do it now. People have affairs and survive but it has to be brought into the open by one of them. For all we know she could be planning to come clean and try to make amends.

And no need for the snarky remark. it doesn't make you look particularly smart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

If he tells her she might stop. But ultimately it's between the two of them. I used to think it was best to tell the person but I don't think I could bring myself to do it now. People have affairs and survive but it has to be brought into the open by one of them. For all we know she could be planning to come clean and try to make amends.

I get what you're saying, and it is a valid point.

In this case though, the Op knows... It's likely that other people know. At this stage she's making a fool of him. He needs to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,617 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd tell him straight up if there were no kids, if there were kids I'd likely go to her first and tell her to cop the fook on and see if it can be left at that.

Oh my days.

Hey look I know you've had jonny riding you the last few weeks but stop ye?

Cop on. She is taking the piss. The longer it goes on the worse it gets. When they married they signed a contract to each other and she's broken her end. It's completely out of order to keep that man in the dark about his wife - having an affair. If she does stop anyway then what? He never knows? He'd have been betrayed by his friend and wife.

I doubt he'd be angry with the OP. Just angry and the OP happens to be the one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Maybe it's best to approach the wife and tell her you know the craic. It's a sh1tty position she has put you in so tell her in no uncertain terms that she has to tell him or you'll do it yourself.

Edups wrote: »
    Oh my days.

Hey look I know you've had jonny riding you the last few weeks but stop ye?

Cop on. She is taking the piss. The longer it goes on the worse it gets. When they married they signed a contract to each other and she's broken her end. It's completely out of order to keep that man in the dark about his wife - having an affair. If she does stop anyway then what? He never knows? He'd have been betrayed by his friend and wife.

Don't underestimate the power of shame and guilt..if his friend decides not to tell him it's to avoid breaking his heart. And what the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve.

Also..cop on? quite the yippy little terrier aren't you?

Don't underestimate the power of shame and guilt..if his friend decides not to tell him it's to avoid breaking his heart. And what the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve.

Also..cop on? quite the yippy little terrier aren't you?

That's not the point. He shouldn't be left in a marriage with a woman who did that. Say she stops now... who's to say, 6 months later she's at it again?

Are you trying to be quippy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Send him an anonymous email. Can't shoot a messenger that you don't know the identity of.

Yeah just lash #31# in the subject bar.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Yeah just lash #31# in the subject bar.

... make a throwaway email? :rolleyes: I heard they're free nowadays too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Yes I think we both know I wasn't being entirely serious, don't we.

No one can decide whether you should tell him or not. It's a decision only you can make, much might depend on whether there are kids, just how sure is sure, whether it can be backed up in the likely event that the messenger gets shot...and whatever happens between them, you getting serious flak is the most likely outcome of all, so prepare for that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

If there are young kids his second thought on being told is going to be wondering if the kids are all his.

His first thought is going to be on the betrayal and you might get the brunt of that, but that should be fleeting. If you're friends you should be up for that. As for an anonymous letter/email. That's all the poor bastard needs, he'll be paranoid enough as it is.

AH reply, Any chance of bribe sex?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Potentially because his mate is the one banging her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Ask for advice on an internet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭SteM

Ted111 wrote: »
    You certainly do have loose friends.

You could arrange for a third party, who your mate doesn't know to phone him up and give him an anonymous tip off. It will need some piece of detail, like the name of the bloke, to be credible.

That would be the worst imo. I'd prefer to get this info from a friend that I know than someone anonymously over the phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

He'll get over it. The majority of married women are cheating be it once at the Xmas party or on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭gifted

Has it occurred to anyone here that it could be our wife????....hope I don't get a phone call off me best mate today lol l

Advertisement