Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant access to 5000 newspapers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dunser1

Hi

I was getting access to Indo and Examiner and its now Dropped off Can anyone Advise if I can still get Access ?

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

dunser1 wrote: »
    Hi

I was getting access to Indo and Examiner and its now Dropped off Can anyone Advise if I can still get Access ?

Tks
    read back the last page or so its all covered.

JTMan wrote: »
    I have being using a VPN (Hola) on a desktop pointing towards New Zealand. The Irish Times and Independent are in the Ireland section.

Using my VPN (PIA) I dont even get the Irish Times when I use Australia or NZ VPN. I get the Irish times with through UK VPN.

I have tried about 20 different countries around the world and none will get me the Irish Independent or Examiner. I've tried browser on Mac, browser and app on iphone and browser on iPad.

So for me the Independent and examiner are totally gone regardless of VPN country or method of access (browser, app etc). I can get the Irish Times on some VPNs but it's not a paper I have much interest in reading (they don't even do a farming section) so pressreader is not much use anymore without the Indo and examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Using my VPN (PIA) I dont even get the Irish Times when I use Australia or NZ VPN. I get the Irish times with through UK VPN.

I have tried about 20 different countries around the world and none will get me the Irish Independent or Examiner. I've tried browser on Mac, browser and app on iphone and browser on iPad.

So for me the Independent and examiner are totally gone regardless of VPN country or method of access (browser, app etc). I can get the Irish Times on some VPNs but it's not a paper I have much interest in reading (they don't even do a farming section) so pressreader is not much use anymore without the Indo and examiner.

Using Hola on Google Chrome and setting location to USA I am able to see Indo and Examiner - just checked.

thebiglad wrote: »
    Using Hola on Google Chrome and setting location to USA I am able to see Indo and Examiner - just checked.

You can see them when not logged (and therefore you can't read) but once you sign in then you only see the Times and a few rags (mirror etc).

Tried there on hola (had never used it before as I have a paid VPN) and exact same result as with my own VPN except it appears to kick you out and have to re-sign in every time you change country which doesn't happen with my VPN.

• Advertisement

You can see them when not logged (and therefore you can't read) but once you sign in then you only see the Times and a few rags (mirror etc).

Tried there on hola (had never used it before as I have a paid VPN) and exact same result as with my own VPN except it appears to kick you out and have to re-sign in every time you change country which doesn't happen with my VPN.

I can fully access and read both Indo and Examiner - today's editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Switched to USA using VPN. Opened app, was able to see Irish Times, but not the Indo or Examiner. Was able to read the Times, I'm in Cork City Library... It's all very hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

I don't find it hit and miss at all. I have managed to access the Irish Times and Indo daily for some time via VPN with zero issues.
    I'm in Cork City Library

Did you try 900000000 as your library number (and use a VPN) rather than your Cork City Library number?

I don't find it hit and miss at all. I have managed to access the Irish Times and Indo daily for some time via VPN with zero issues.

Did you try 900000000 as your library number (and use a VPN) rather than your Cork City Library number?

This is what I do with VPN rather than library account - maybe that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Instructions using android.
    Get hola app.
    Open it.
    Click the 3 dots in top corner.
    Go to settings.
    Go to web.
    Change user agent to desktop.
    In the address bar go to https://library.pressdisplay.com/

Once it loads click menu in top right and select login.
    Enter your library number in the barcode box and click sign in in the top right.
    let it load.
    Click "select title" near the top.
    Choose Ireland.

You should now see your newspapers :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Very cool, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭geriatric

Can I use Tunnelbear instead of Hola? Does it matter what vpn I use?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I've tried this too, with the same 900000000 number and VPN set to the US, UK or AUS but no sign of either paper you reference, just the examiner and 34 other mags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

I've tried this too, with the same 900000000 number and VPN set to the US, UK or AUS but no sign of either paper you reference, just the examiner and 34 other mags.

Did you try on a desktop?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I gave it a quick try on desktop with a new zealand vpn and it worked. Only tried the irish times

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TT rainbows

how do you login ? You have to pick some library so it knows where you are from and then enter library card. You cant enter library card number without first picking a library.
    Or else you have to register and sign in with an email ?
    Which are you using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭geriatric

I gave it a quick try on desktop with a new zealand vpn and it worked. Only tried the irish times

Once you have it registered and working on a desktop, can you then login with same username to the pressreader app on an ipad with access to the Indo, etc?

geriatric wrote: »
    Once you have it registered and working on a desktop, can you then login with same username to the pressreader app on an ipad with access to the Indo, etc?

no you have to be connected through a vpn at all times, you don't get an account, you just go on through your vpn in from a country that has free access

how do you login ? You have to pick some library so it knows where you are from and then enter library card. You cant enter library card number without first picking a library.
    Or else you have to register and sign in with an email ?
    Which are you using ?

900000000 or 9999999 can't remember which I used, no email etc. doesn't seem to matter. Just has to be over a vpn in a country that has free access to those papers, I randomly chose NZ and it worked. There are probably other countries that work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

bromley52 wrote: »
    Posting workarounds here might be a bad idea.

It seems a very selective boards policy - allow illegal stuff if it suits

I am pretty sure that using VPNs and fake library card numbers is not exactly legal - again - why not just torrent them or similar?

• Advertisement

kenmm wrote: »
    It seems a very selective boards policy - allow illegal stuff if it suits

I am pretty sure that using VPNs and fake library card numbers is not exactly legal - again - why not just torrent them or similar?

VPNs are completely legal, most people have library card numbers posting here just an odd person using the fake number but since anyone can easily get a Library card for free what difference does it make if they have one or just use the made up one.

Where would you torrent an Irish newspaper, I don’t believe there is any where to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Is Bloomberg businessweek available?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Does this still work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

ampleforth wrote: »
    Does this still work?

Yep. But the number of contributing newspapers have dropped ie Indo.

Then again, it's only the Indo.

ampleforth wrote: »
    Does this still work?

Yep, per instructions at post 311 - was reading Indo on the website today using USA as VPN location in case it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

thebiglad wrote: »
    Yep, per instructions at post 311 - was reading Indo on the website today using USA as VPN location in case it makes any difference.
    Yes it does. No Independent on UK server I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Thank you for sharing,

This is excellent, works fine with VPN via NZ

VPNs are completely legal, most people have library card numbers posting here just an odd person using the fake number but since anyone can easily get a Library card for free what difference does it make if they have one or just use the made up one.

I don't buy that its just the 'odd person'. The opening post encourages using a random number.

The difference is with how the newspapers can track the service users and work out how to monetise. Very few decent newspapers left and violating the terms of service (or content theft) is another (maybe small) blow to journalism.

My point about torrents - If I were to post about how to access usenet trackers or torrents to steal content as a 'bargain alert' - I would probably get banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

There is a difference between accessing geo restricted content and downloading pirated material. Using PressReader to access the newspapers and magazines is legitimate. Using a VPN with the service is more of a grey area, but I’m not aware of any illegality. For example, there are various threads on boards showing people how to bypass geo restricted content (Netflix, Amazon, Nintendo).

Torrents generally come from an unverified source and so it cannot be determined if all of the content is legal.

Advertisement