Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the doctor over something small

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Yep, but then youll have to wear the collar or shame....

If it means not going back, i would gladly wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Would you not be better going to a vet?

Doctors have it easy, you can tell them where it hurts, vets have to really investigate. As well as that a doctor treats humans, a vet treats a load of different animals AND theres not too much of a risk of a GP being pissed on (well some risk)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

CaptainR wrote: »
    Doctors have it easy, you can tell them where it hurts, vets have to really investigate. As well as that a doctor treats humans, a vet treats a load of different animals AND theres not too much of a risk of a GP being pissed on (well some risk)

Vets don't deal with the drug fuelled walking dead or aggressive drunks on a nightly basis. Not that easy..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Haven't been to the docs in years, since I was a kid. Anytime anything small is wrong, I'll ignore it and usually goes away, not wanting to be a hypercondriac!! Planning to go the weekend as have been told my friends & family something is up with ribs/chest so fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

One has to put up with a lot of whining, cattiness and bullshít.

The other one's a vet. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Haven't been to the docs in years, since I was a kid. Anytime anything small is wrong, I'll ignore it and usually goes away, not wanting to be a hypercondriac!! Planning to go the weekend as have been told my friends & family something is up with ribs/chest so fingers crossed!!

I'm the same but had a chest pain 2 years ago one weekend and something said I should go. I did and ended out rushed to hospital with a heart attack. Lucky to be typing this now. If you have chest pain go to A & E . NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

Vets and Paediatricians face pretty much the same issues! Neither have patients who can tell them what's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I often do feel like I am wasting their time but you are paying them so they better not complain its nothing.

The mole is a small issue that could be a big one (or nothing). Better to just get it checked.

Normally I would say "wait till you have 2 or 3 issues to bring up with dr so its a worth while visit" but I would not delay seeing your gp so do not do that.

They likely will either numb it and take it off for tests in your gp surgery or if its not available you get sent else where.

Goodluck op and honestly the chances of it being bad is low. But its bad enough to not ignore. I think you know that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just reading this story this morning.. crazy how such a short space of time so much can change for people.

Although in saying that, have had family that did go and get checked out early and it was fcuk all use to them and so maybe it wouldn't be for that woman either, who bloody knows with anything in this God forsaken world, but get it checked out anyway I suppose, sure you might as well, but just don't be surprised if you die anyway is all I'm saying.

Salud!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This is exactly with the GP is for.

People who are dying go to hospitals so you're not taking up any space.

Also, they get well paid for it so I don't see the problem.

Best to get small things checked and give you peace of mind rather than it becoming a bigger issue later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

There's a difference between something small that will be small, and something small that may be serious.

Dislocated a couple of fingers before and people ask what did the doctor say and I'd wonder who would go to a doctor, as if they're gonna perform intricate surgery, I'm not a classical pianist. Had a hernia operation last week and due to my own foolishness I've kinda stretched the stitches and bled a good bit, and a few said to go to the doctor but again, what will they do realistically.

In the other hand a mole changing may not be a small thing at all.

Regarding your fingers, most people go there for a reduction which is where they put them back into place. There's a 'correct' way of doing it. Did you do it yourself or did the fingers go back in by themselves?

You can get arthritis or just pain in future, where you've had a dislocation, so maybe that's what people are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Definitely get it checked out, I ignored a 'spot' under my eye which wasn't healing for 18 months! :eek: I had to have surgery to remove it. So it may be 'something small' but could wind up being serious!
    The surgeon did an awesome job in fairness - you would never know that I'd had 'work done'. The procedure itself took all of 15 minutes. They cut it out and put on a skin graft from the back of my ear!
    There's types of cancerous moles that are contained so usually once they are removed that's it.
    I don't know if you have VHI cover and are anywhere near a VHI clinic they actually remove moles for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Is there anything to be said for just lopping it off with a nail clippers or something? I'm very irresponsible when it comes to these matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

itchy mole = cancer

he'll probably do a small surgery on you, lop it off and send it off for confirmation of the cancer

It doesn't necessarily mean cancer, Jesus are you trying to scare the OP?
    I've had 2 moles removed in the past OP and both were absolutely fine.

They were removed in literally minutes (I had to go to the hospital) and I have no scarring. It was completely painless as well, they numbed the area and I didn't feel a thing. Small plaster for a few days and that was it.
    Results were back within a couple of weeks.

If you don't want to go to your GP (which is silly by the way) you can go to a mole screening clinic, google it - there's one in Dublin.
    You pay for the screening but then if you need the mole removed, you can claim it on your health insurance if you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

You say that you feel bad because there are people dying in the world.

Some of those people would no be dying if they had gone about something small.

Not to scare you, but better to have yourself reassured now and to feel foolish for paying €50 to have a freckle inspected, than to be told a year from now that if you'd just come in when you first thought about, you'd be much better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I wish I went about something small, because it wouldn't have escalated so severely, cost me a fortune, or gave me a leaking brain. I've spent 6 months trying to keep a condition from getting worse not even stabilising it, I have to get a camera shoved down my throat, granted there's been worse shoved down but that's besides the point,when a simple blood test and regular medication this time last year would have been enough for me to not even notice I had it.

Regarding your fingers, most people go there for a reduction which is where they put them back into place. There's a 'correct' way of doing it. Did you do it yourself or did the fingers go back in by themselves?

You can get arthritis or just pain in future, where you've had a dislocation, so maybe that's what people are on about.

Popped back in. The first time it was gross, bent sideways at a perfect right angle, got a shock when I looked down but in a second it snapped back into place. Had to bring wife to hospital a few days later so went for an X-ray while I was waiting in case there was any chipped bone floating around. Second time was a wrench backwards when wedding ring got caught on a rock and I was nearly de fingered, lots of blood as ring went through skin, just left it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

That sounds awful Lexie. What happened to you? You don't have to say if you don't want to. I'm always interested in hearing other people's symptoms that prompted a diagnosis so I have some awareness what I should be looking out for.

That sounds awful Lexie. What happened to you? You don't have to say if you don't want to. I'm always interested in hearing other people's symptoms that prompted a diagnosis so I have some awareness what I should be looking out for.

Just hypothyroidism that went completely untreated and neglected which went into myxodema stage, caused some gland in my brain to swell up and leak, with levels that went 344 over what it should have been. It's actually a very simple condition to treat and look after but an absolute nightmare when it gets to profound hypothyroidism. You need higher meds but they can't move you too fast because it can throw you the other side of it, but not take enough you get swollen up, skin cracks, can't eat, vomit constantly, always feeling on the brink of passing out, eye sight getting so bad but opticians saying they can't helpnyou until they've stabilised it, arthritis in your joints, no periods, no energy. And still, the medication is being risen so slow that it's just not even staying the same it's getting worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

So, i know i have to get this checked out and i should stop wasting time.

However, my doctor has awkward opening times. He's open again on Friday evening. Then more than likely won't start the process of sending me to get it checked out until Monday.

Does anyone know, can i just walk into any doctor's office if i give them money to see me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I once paid €60 to be told that what I thought was appendicitis pain was actually just ovulation cramps.

The Raptor wrote: »

However, my doctor has awkward opening times. He's open again on Friday evening. Then more than likely won't start the process of sending me to get it checked out until Monday.

Does anyone know, can i just walk into any doctor's office if i give them money to see me.

Depends on your doctor. Some docs do a "sit and wait your turn" surgery and some are appointment only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

I've twice been told no more prescription given to me until I see the doctor, hate going to the place. I've asthma but you know when you know your grand but the doctor is like ohhh they could be dying need to get them in and see them stick, Feck off leave me alone gimme my drugs.

Reason for hating the doctors, got changed to appointments, yeah doctor can see you at half eleven, half twelve quarter to one name gets called, all the fecking time.

Go back to first come first served like it was when I was growing up.

The Raptor wrote: »

You could go see the out of hrs dr, and a lot of Drs will see you even if they're not your GP but generally they tell you to go see your GP if something needs more investigations or will send you to a+e if they don't think you can wait

anna080 wrote: »
    I once paid €60 to be told that what I thought was appendicitis pain was actually just ovulation cramps.

Also known as Mittelschmerz.

I get it too, usually mildly but sometimes it's quite bad.

It's 60 worth spending to put your mind at ease though. :)

Candie wrote: »

Never knew it had a name.

I get that quite severely every month. It's crap.

But yeh if you don't know what it is it's you're better off getting it checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Last time I went to the doctor, I had my appendix out that evening.
    The only other time I've seen one, I spent 3 months in hospital with all manner of broken bones and wounds.
    So, no, I've never been that embarrassed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yeah I felt like a tit going to the doctor over a bad headache. Turned out I was having a Brain haemorrhage and was sent to intensive care in Beaumont.

Always take care of your health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

I don't have a medical card or health insurance, so no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Candie wrote: »

I started to get severe pain mid ovulation on my left side - I could really feel when I released an egg, only on my left ovary. Feels like someone stabs you.

Period changed, I was vomiting and passing out from pain in the bathroom - told by GP "its a period its meant to be sore".

Had a MRI for another reason, they spotted a rather nice cyst on my left ovary. :rolleyes:
    I need to get a mild operation some time next year to see if I have endometriosis etc.

If you have any major changes in yourself, maybe its some dumb ass cyst, bring it up if you notice anything else.

Advertisement