Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using footvax

Options
  • 16-11-2016 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Anyone having any experience of the footvax vaccine ?

I'm considering using it having difficulty with lameness in ewes.

Was told 1.5 euro per head for vaccine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

cattle man wrote: »
    Anyone having any experience of the footvax vaccine ?

I'm considering using it having difficulty with lameness in ewes.

Was told 1.5 euro per head for vaccine.

Yea used it here, pedigrees used to be housed for about 4 mths and hard to keep right until i used footvax.
    It's a good product, but you have to be scrupulously clean with the vaccination site, it's very prone to causing abscesses on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

rangler1 wrote: »
    Yea used it here, pedigrees used to be housed for about 4 mths and hard to keep right until i used footvax.
    It's a good product, but you have to be scrupulously clean with the vaccination site, it's very prone to causing abscesses on the site

On everything or just the pedigrees.

On everything or just the pedigrees.

Just pedigrees, they used to be housed for a good while with the lambs after lambing and the footbath is on an outfarm, so footvax was most straightforward. eventually used to use an automatic syringe that had the needle going through a disnfectant sponge between sheep to overcome the abscesses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

We actually discussed Health Plans and vaccines last night at our discussion group and footvax was discussed. Only 1 person (a vet) uses it out of about 25 members, however what i didn't find encouraging was that you were still liable to get cases of footrot/codd/shelly hoof even when using it, would still have to footbath and treat with antibiotics and sprays.
    I had (naively) assumed that it was a shot of footvax and that would be nearly all issues with footrot eliminated.
    He said that he gives the injections 1ml 6 weeks apart and then another shot pre-housing, which seems to be a bit much i would have thought.

Rangler did you give them one injection or two?

We actually discussed Health Plans and vaccines last night at our discussion group and footvax was discussed. Only 1 person (a vet) uses it out of about 25 members, however what i didn't find encouraging was that you were still liable to get cases of footrot/codd/shelly hoof even when using it, would still have to footbath and treat with antibiotics and sprays.
    I had (naively) assumed that it was a shot of footvax and that would be nearly all issues with footrot eliminated.
    He said that he gives the injections 1ml 6 weeks apart and then another shot pre-housing, which seems to be a bit much i would have thought.

We just gave one shot prehousing, the fact that their feet didn't get chronic during the winter seemed to help them right through the summer, whereas the couple of years that they got bad in the shed seemed to leave the feet soft in the summer as well, the sheep wouldn't be prone to lameness only for the extended housing period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

My understand was that footvax produced an antibody which help fight against a foo trot infection and also prevent it for up to 6 months.
    I was told 1ml per head a month before the High risk period (housing)

It isn't affective against codd of scald but I have heard farmer by reducing footrot it helped reduce the other.

Ultimately culling is the best solution to lameness I tink

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

I was qouted €106 for 50ml bottle today. anyone able to source it cheaper?

sako 85 wrote: »
    I was qouted €106 for 50ml bottle today. anyone able to source it cheaper?

Looking for prices myself. Ranging from 96 euro to 70 euro.

I will pm you if you like once I'm sure of the 70 euro stuff.

It's amazing the mark up on these products had similar variation with linctospectin two weeks ago one vet (my normal vet ) quoted 140 euro another which I buy dose off etc same product for 70 euro. I told the first vet he was a joke.
    Time to move I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

cattle man wrote: »
    Looking for prices myself. Ranging from 96 euro to 70 euro.

I will pm you if you like once I'm sure of the 70 euro stuff.

It's amazing the mark up on these products had similar variation with linctospectin two weeks ago one vet (my normal vet ) quoted 140 euro another which I buy dose off etc same product for 70 euro. I told the first vet he was a joke.
    Time to move I think.

Brilliant that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We don't have problems with footrot at all maybe 1% of ewes if even but we do have problems with scald in ewes and lambs . would footvax work

• Advertisement

We don't have problems with footrot at all maybe 1% of ewes if even but we do have problems with scald in ewes and lambs . would footvax work

It does help with scald, but that's just an observation not a scientific fact, the footvax treated pedigrees here would have less scald than the untreated crossbreds.

sako 85 wrote: »
    Brilliant that would be great

Just be aware that one of the cydectin doses (1% cydectin I think) can never be given to sheep that have got footvax....it's written on the instructions anyway, a prominent pedigree sheep breeder lost a lot of ewes by making that mistake

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

In defence of your vet, I couldn't buy it off a distributor for €70 for 50ml. The €96 price seems about right for someone who isn't able to get bulk buying discounts.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    In defence of your vet, I couldn't buy it off a distributor for €70 for 50ml. The €96 price seems about right for someone who isn't able to get bulk buying discounts.

Well that's the price I was quoted and I know the msd rep supplying both of the vets is the same person. And I had a similar price different with toxovax and Enzovax in September and again msd supply those products so I'm not sure what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

Do any of ye notice that Co ops and Grain merchants are cheaper for veterinary products than the Vets ?

kk.man wrote: »
    Do any of ye notice that Co ops and Grain merchants are cheaper for veterinary products than the Vets ?

Than some vets,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

kk.man wrote: »

Probably as greysides said it's to do with bulk buying discounts.
    Take a co-op with say even 10 stores over a province compared to a vet with a catchment area of around 1 town.
    The vet will never have as many potential customers. Then the co-op is cheaper so more people go there and the vet sells less again. The co-op will be able to buy the stuff less to begin with and then because they are selling more can afford a lower mark up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

one thing i was appalled to hear about was a vet refusing to call to a farmer because he wasn't buying stuff off him.
    i hope there was more to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

how long before roughly does it take to work after injecting ewes with footrot

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

I was just about to head into the vets for the Footvax when I read your post about the Cydectin. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mayoireland

I have used footvax the last 3 years on year one there was 40/50 out of 250 lame sheep within two weeks only 5 were left .I used it only once they say two shots are required but one works for me.i use it around this time of year a month or so before going to the rams.i don't need it this year 🤞🤞🤞 but I do recommend it lameness is a curse .I didn't price it this year but last year was around 80euro for 50 ewes .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

420 euro for 350 doses,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

it's a pity it doesn't come in smaller packs ,50 sheep is the smallest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭DJ98

Is footvax a 1 off injection or does it have to be given every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

footvax recommend giving it twice , 6 weeks I think apart and then once or twice /year depending on severity.

We never had lameness problems like this year so have bit the bullet and footvax'd all the ewes so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭clonagh

When's the best time to give Footvax to breeding ewes? Does it affect ferility?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The only warning I can find is not to give it 8 weeks either side of lambing

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭clonagh

Thanks a mill Wrangler. I text my vet about it last week and I'm still waiting for a reply...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Just vaccinated all the ewes and breeding rams here today before lunch,will be putting the ram out on the 1st of October and will give the ewes their second shot 5 weeks after that when I'm taking the rams away,.will go in with a booster every 6 months after that..had 24 lame ewes out of a batch of 185 so fingers crossed this solves the issue along with the footbath and antibiotics

Advertisement