Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12-11-2016 Autumn Internationals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

15 minutes in and France have already lost Guirado from a Samoan cheap shot

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Argentinian lad on BBC wales wearing a poppy. Im sure that will go down well back home.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    15 minutes in and France have already lost Guirado from a Samoan cheap shot

Dave-Kearney.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Basil3 wrote: »
    I think your bar for a red is set too low, especially when there are incidents like SOB's last year which go unpunished (during the match).

For me, a red should really be restricted to the likes of biting, striking, gouging, stamping, spear tackle with downward force etc.

What Skelton did was deliberate. That puts a different spin on things for me. It wasn't over-exuberant rucking, he spotted a chance to nail a prone opponent.

SOB went unpunished because the ref didn't see it so I don't see the relevance. He subsequently got a ban because it was a red card offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I think your bar for a red is set too low, especially when there are incidents like SOB's last year which go unpunished (during the match).

For me, a red should really be restricted to the likes of biting, striking, gouging, stamping, spear tackle with downward force etc.
    I was listening to Newstalk and they were saying that an email had gone out from World Rugby about a referee instruction to red card (what they said on Newstalk was) that very offence. It was issued this week, possibly even yesterday.

• Advertisement

I was listening to Newstalk and they were saying that an email had gone out from World Rugby about a referee instruction to red card (what they said on Newstalk was) that very offence. It was issued this week, possibly even yesterday.

Game has gone soft. To me it's a legal move, illegally executed. If it was to the head, fair enough.

It's also not good for the viewing public when these supposed directives are issued, which leads to inconsistencies in punishments from a spectators point of view.

Game has gone soft. To me it's a legal move, illegally executed. If it was to the head, fair enough.

It's also not good for the viewing public when these supposed directives are issued, which leads to inconsistencies in punishments from a spectators point of view.

He drove his shoulder into a player, connected at the top of his back. It is dangerous. It was also dumb because the whistle had gone for an Aussie penalty and I reckon the scottish lad who foot blocked the pass was getting a YC too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I work in other sports and I could go through each rule in a vey big rule book and tell you what brought it about. Or rather who.

World Rugby have obviously been watching incidents like this and have decided it's not part of the game.

it's tough to cheer for samoa as a neutral when their gameplan is clearly to injure as many opposition players as possible

https://mobile.twitter.com/andymcgeady/status/797471896619143168

He went off his feet and led with his shoulder, into an opponent, making no attempt to bind himself. What part of that is legal?

Anyone who says the game has gone soft has never had 140kg of Will Skelton torpedoing towards them.

• Advertisement

https://mobile.twitter.com/andymcgeady/status/797471896619143168

He went off his feet and led with his shoulder, into an opponent who was not bound to the ruck, making no attempt to bind himself. What part of that is legal?

Anyone who says the game has gone soft has never had 140kg of Will Skelton torpedoing towards them.

It's legal to clear out a player. The way he did it was illegal.

It's legal to clear out a player. The way he did it was illegal.

Exactly. Red card so.

Exactly. Red card so.

By your logic everything in a rugby match that is not legal is a red. :confused:

Goodbye penalties and yellow cards, nice knowing you.

By your logic everything in a rugby match that is not legal is a red. :confused:

Goodbye penalties and yellow cards, nice knowing you.

No. I think what Skelton did was a red card. I hope the citing commissioner agrees.

It's a tough game, and the safety of rugby depends on people respecting their duty of care to their opponents. Skelton deliberately nailed a prone opponent because he was having a temper tantrum.

If you think that's acceptable, then we aren't going to agree here.

No. I think what Skelton did was a red card. I hope the citing commissioner agrees.

It's a tough game, and the safety of rugby depends on people respecting their duty of care to their opponents. Skelton deliberately nailed a prone opponent because he was having a temper tantrum.

If you think that's acceptable, then we aren't going to agree here.

I don't think it's acceptable, I simply think it's a yellow card offence. I don't really have any other examples of that being a red to make me think it is deserving of one.

If it has been set out that it is a red, and the players and refs know that, then fair enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Adbrowne wrote: »
    He drove his shoulder into a player, connected at the top of his back. It is dangerous. It was also dumb because the whistle had gone for an Aussie penalty and I reckon the scottish lad who foot blocked the pass was getting a YC too.

I think Skelton was offside too

Edit: I think it would have been a very harsh red. I didn't think he made contact with the Scottish guys head, more his back.

thats really dumb by wales. Ref telling them to stop and they dont, then they argue it with him

wales v argies is just incompetence after incompetence

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

You're being far too harsh on incompetent people

how many penalties can argentina give away before a card comes out

ah, that many

• Advertisement

Swan Curry wrote: »
    how many penalties can argentina give away before a card comes out

this ref has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Someone's going to have to explain to me how that Welsh try was awarded. Surely there were 3 movements there?

YC for AWJ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It was only Samoa but good to see France playing with a bit of style again. 7 tries tonight l

Adbrowne wrote: »
    YC for AWJ ?

No, some good refereeing there. Didn't faff about with it, just made a good call and got on with it.

Biggar tries to take an argie off the ball, then moans when he still loses the footrace.

Great try. Bigger being a total dick about it. Tried to attempt an off the ball tackle but pulled out and then starts claiming he was being held himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭ongarite

Good try Argentina. No way that was a foul on Biggar

What was Moriarty even thinking he was doing there? Just kicked the ball out from the wrong side for no reason

• Advertisement

did williams knock that on when he flicked it back infield?

Advertisement