Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlsen vs Karjakin FIDE World Chess Championship 2016 NYC

Options
  • 11-11-2016 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

ck2.jpg

Game 1 of the World Championship starts in under 4 hours! The build-up of anticipation and excitement across this forum over the past few weeks has been scintillating.

Magnus Carlsen has won 6, drawn 14 and lost just 1 game over the past two championships. Whereas this will be Karjakin's first World Chamionship experience. The Norwegian is a heavy favourite, but in a year of Brexit beating Bremain, Ireland beating NZ and Trump beating Hillary, can Sergey beat Magnus? Is this going to be the first of many Carlsen-Karjakin World Championship matches?

Following Agon's failure to secure injunctions to block the transmission of all unofficial match coverage, including the moves themselves, you can follow the event for free on chess24.com. GM Eric Hansen & GM Robin van Kampen have been announced as commentators. https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/carlsen-karjakin-world-chess-championship-2016/1/1/1

You are also welcome to pay $15 to watch it on the official site. http://nyc2016.fide.com/

My prediction: Carlsen 6.5 - 4.5 Karjakin after 11 games.

From what I can gather, this is the playing schedule.

Day |Date|Round|Irish Time|White Pieces
    Friday|11th|
    |19:00|Carlsen
    Saturday|12th|
    |19:00|Karjakin
    Sunday|13th|Rest Day|
    Monday|14th|
    Tuesday|15th|
    Wednesday|16th|Rest Day|
    Thursday|17th|
    Friday|18th|
    Saturday|19th|Rest Day|
    Sunday|20th|
    Monday|21st|
    Tuesday|22nd|Rest Day|
    Wednesday|23rd|
    Thursday|24th|
    Friday|25th|Rest Day|
    Saturday|26th|
    Sunday|27th|Rest Day|
    Monday|28th|
    Tuesday|29th|Rest Day|
    Wednesday|30th|Tie Breaks|

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

So 1-1 after two opening draws. Neither a classic particularly; an interesting nuance in the endgame in the first (20. g4 instead of the played 20. g3), and a curious discussion about Ireland's rugby and football successes in the chess.com comments on the second game.

Obviously with a relatively short and important match, it's a bit much to expect fireworks from the off. But I guess let's see how the next couple of rounds go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Twelve games is far too short for a world championship match and pays little respect to the tradition of such matches.
    Worse still is the possibility of a penalty shoot out at the end of it. It would be much better to have a 21 game match with the challenger getting the extra white then in the event of a tie the champion retains his title.
    I would love to see Karjakin win the title but if I had the choice between Carlsen doing so in normal time or Karjakin winning some meaningless shoot out then I would prefer the former.
    History and tradition seems to mean nothing to people any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

Am i wrong but they don't seem to be the same buzz about this series of games compared to the last.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

I think there would be more buzz if Caruana had won the candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭caissa007

L1m1tless wrote: »
    I think there would be more buzz if Caruana had won the candidates.

I think there would also have been more buzz if big Vlad had got candidates wild card and had got a crack at Carlsen.

• Advertisement

The Kramnik/ Caruana points are very valid. I think too that the world championship lost a lot with Fischer's defection then the farcical Kasparov v Short match and the times we had two "world champions" (some of the FIDE ones I can't even remember , was Ponomariov or Khalifman one of them??). The title is also being devalued by the use of tie breakers in the process. If someone wins by means of blitz or rapid then all it means is that they are better at THAT form of chess. A world championship should purely be about classic chess.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭caissa007

sodacat11 wrote: »
    The Kramnik/ Caruana points are very valid. I think too that the world championship lost a lot with Fischer's defection then the farcical Kasparov v Short match and the times we had two "world champions" (some of the FIDE ones I can't even remember , was Ponomariov or Khalifman one of them??). The title is also being devalued by the use of tie breakers in the process. If someone wins by means of blitz or rapid then all it means is that they are better at THAT form of chess. A world championship should purely be about classic chess.

Personally I'm much more concerned about the shorter matches. I think the FIDE "championships" can be just ignored. Even 16 game matches would avoid the possibility of relative journeymen like Gelfand or Karjakin intruding on the pantheon of greats stretching back to Steinitz. Other than arguably Euwe there have been no flukey world champions. I'd hate to see a "lesser" light join this group

caissa007 wrote: »
    Personally I'm much more concerned about the shorter matches. I think the FIDE "championships" can be just ignored. Even 16 game matches would avoid the possibility of relative journeymen like Gelfand or Karjakin intruding on the pantheon of greats stretching back to Steinitz. Other than arguably Euwe there have been no flukey world champions. I'd hate to see a "lesser" light join this group

I used to share your view of Max Euwe until I read a very interesting article on him in NIC some time ago. He was a much greater talent than we give him credit for. Quite apart from him,I think any player in any era that can get into the top ten or twelve players in the world is worthy of respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Euwe was a worthy world champion though lucky to catch Alekhine when he wasn't entirely sober.

Kasimdzhanov and Ponomariov winning the FIDE world title in knockout tournaments (equivalent to World Cups) was a bad joke, though they were both reasonably strong GMs, and of course chose the right time to peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

caissa007 wrote: »
    sodacat11 wrote: »

Personally I'm much more concerned about the shorter matches.
    I was too. But then I read some remarks from players in the 60's who hated the system of Candidates matches. They felt they were playing far too many games and that FIDE didn't care what they thought. All the players at the top now say that 12 games should be enough.
    I agree that a rapid playoff is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Chance for Magnus to win here in Game 3

At 1115 pm (after 45...Rh3) Magnus looks like he realises he has let Karjakin off, or at least made it much harder for himself.

On Worldchess, Nepo reckons White should have played Rb8 (I think he means at move 42).

So what's happened. Is the game over.

Sound Tim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bombadil10

Some exciting twists and turns at the end of game 3. Karjakin allowed himself to be put in a very difficult position and then made a blunder that Carlsen failed to capitalise on. Can hardly be blamed after 6 hours of play and with so little time on the clock. Great to see such dynamic endgames being played at this level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

Sergey already looks like he'll be manning the battlements for the evening.

Another draw. The tension is building

Another draw yesterday. Very little chatter here on the boards. Shows the level of interest is low.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I was actually a bit surprised to see round 5 had been played already when I checked earlier today!

The games are picking up a bit after the first two quiet draws. But it does need a win soon at this stage I think.

• Advertisement

I watch the games each evening but not much to chat about really. The commentary on Chess24 is pretty funny though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's kinda short for a world champs with just 12 standard format games. A win either way at this point would be huge and require a rethink by the loser. Carlsen came close a couple of times, but Sergey's endgame defence has been faultless. Magnus with black today again, but then the closest game to a result was Magnus with black a few days ago.

Enter our world chpionships comp on the curragh facebook page

L1m1tless wrote: »
    I watch the games each evening but not much to chat about really. The commentary on Chess24 is pretty funny though
    Why is Van Wely even there. He's a miserable git.
    Hansen isn't always my favourite but this is basically a one man show.
    Carlsen has no angles against Sergey at all. Amazing. Could be a template to follow for the others. At least it leaves them in with a chance.

Chess24 say they will have their top team Svidler + Gustafsson for the second half of the match starting Sunday, so the quality of the commentary should drastically improve. And it certainly needs to.
    Let's hope that Magnus Carlsen manages to land a (metaphorical) punch on Putin-loving Karjakin when he next gets White.

D4... who knows, might be interesting...

And the chess24 coverage is very entertaining.

Magnus is lucky his blunder was not fatal. So 7 draws and he has survived "Amen Corner" and can enjoy three Whites in the last five games. At least I hope he enjoys them.

Magnus is sailing close to the wind tonight, with risky 19 Nb5 not being answered by 19...Qg5! as expected by Svidler on chess24. Just when a draw seemed likely it is hotting up and all results are possible.
    Karjakin is having a big think about move 20.

Much better viewing than the last few games. Balanced but with possibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

h5! :pac:

Advertisement