Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Exam for Garda with Public Jobs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 adam kearney

ALTHEPAL wrote: »
    Hi Adam ,
    I rang public jobs on that and they said it really comes down too when they have a enough to make an exam feasible ! So there is no really time frame , I hope personally hope the longer the better cause I need as much time as I can for this Irish ! I'm out of school what feels like a long time ha .
    How did you find stage 2 / interview?

Cheers
    Thanks for that. Hoping they give a good bit of notice but also not to long as don't want to be delaying my process to much haha.
    Stage 2 I found handy enough, I'd be fairly decent at aptitude tests.
    Interview was suprising very good. Very relaxed environment. I was really worrying before it as it would be the most difficult part for me.
    What's stage are you at ??

Pm me if you need any help.
    Adam,

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Hello all,

Anybody have any information regarding the Irish Assessment as I'll have to sit it. A bit worried about it as there seems to be no syllabus or any topic areas you can focus in on specifically. No practice answers etc.

I have been following the Irish assessment related threads but a lot of people are failing it because it's to broad. What are you suppose to study if you don't know what you are suppose to be studying.

Please help.

Thanks.

PM me if you like.

Appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 minionpower

hey guys

i need help

i was giving my date for the Irish exam which is only a few weeks away. i have no idea what will be asked as there is no sample info.

has anyone done the Irish exam and can they shed some light PLEASE

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cc thomas

Just wondering if anyone still on this thread has any info on the Irish assessment specifically what I can expect from it sitting it in three weeks and from reading previous posts even flat out studying isn't going to be enough so any help be much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

Not much info on the Irish exam, even though I failed it I'll happily help those who have to face it.

15 minute oral ( two in the room) they will ask you questions about you and your family, expect to be asked about school and university. They will ask you about your social life i.e. Cinema, pubs, night clubs. If you do not understand the question they will ask you in English to help you.

You then have an hour break or so and you are back in for the written exam. Two topics of choice here for the 150-200 word essay. The essay is worth 30 marks.

The second part is the comprehension, this is worth 15 marks and is relatively straight forward, 5 questions. You are asked a question so try and find the key word in the passage in order to find the answer.

The last part (3) is also worth 15 marks and this is where you translate from English to Irish. 5 sentences to translate here and the key thing to study is phrases you might use in the guards.

You need to get 24 marks in order to pass the written exam however you still need to pass both oral and written in order to pass the Irish exam.

I've posted this to help those who have to face the Irish because there is very little help regarding information for the Irish exam.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Cedric87 wrote: »
    Not much info on the Irish exam, even though I failed it I'll happily help those who have to face it.

15 minute oral ( two in the room) they will ask you questions about you and your family, expect to be asked about school and university. They will ask you about your social life i.e. Cinema, pubs, night clubs. If you do not understand the question they will ask you in English to help you.

You then have an hour break or so and you are back in for the written exam. Two topics of choice here for the 150-200 word essay. The essay is worth 30 marks.

The second part is the comprehension, this is worth 15 marks and is relatively straight forward, 5 questions. You are asked a question so try and find the key word in the passage in order to find the answer.

The last part (3) is also worth 15 marks and this is where you translate from English to Irish. 5 sentences to translate here and the key thing to study is phrases you might use in the guards.

You need to get 24 marks in order to pass the written exam however you still need to pass both oral and written in order to pass the Irish exam.

I've posted this to help those who have to face the Irish because there is very little help regarding information for the Irish exam.

Best of luck.

Sorry to hear that you failed it. How do you plan to proceed?

Very kind of you to help others, hope you apply in this newest campaign and get it next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that you failed it. How do you plan to proceed?

Very kind of you to help others, hope you apply in this newest campaign and get it next time!

I'll reapply in the new campaign and I'll just get as many Irish grinds as I can and try and prepare better based on what I know to expect now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 McGDaniel

I did my Irish exam with PAS and passed it. A teacher in Ranelagh in Dublin prepared me for the Irish exam and I found him very very good. He brought me from having zero Irish to passing PAS test in a few months.

His number is 085 807 0896.

I found the exam pretty alright but there is a good bit of study and hard work needed to pass it.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brianscotch

Congrats. When did you do the exam and have you heard anything about the next step?

• Advertisement

hey guys

Has anyone got their date for their Irish Exam in December??

Hey guys is there anyone out there sitting their Irish Exam for the Garda on the 4th December???

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ericoc44

Hey guys is there anyone out there sitting their Irish Exam for the Garda on the 4th December???

Hi I have mine on the 5th any idea how to prepare for it ?

Ericoc44 wrote: »
    Hi I have mine on the 5th any idea how to prepare for it ?

Hey pm me

i need help

Hey guys is there anyone out there sitting their Irish Exam for the Garda on the 4th December????

i was giving my date for the Irish exam which is only a few weeks away. i have no idea what will be asked as there is no sample info.

has anyone done the Irish exam and can they shed some light PLEASE

i need help

Hey guys is there anyone out there sitting their Irish Exam for the Garda on the 4th December today..

I just sat the oral and have the written soon.

Looking for some help on the topics that were given for the essay

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paulmeaney

How was the oral? I have it soon

I hope the Irish assessment went well for people :)

@Emmaemma0613 I cannot send you a private message cause it is saying that your account does not allow private messaging.

Once changed I can send you PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

Have upcoming irish exam, anyone have a heads up on the type of topics on the essay aswek as what's expected in the oral, be greatly appreciated thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lets hope

Hi just wondering can anybody give me advice on the irish test.I will have to do it soon waiting on a date.How difficult is it,i havent done irish since i finished school over 15 years ago.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paulmeaney

There is some confusion here.

1. The Irish exam that CONGUI is referring to is for people who have applied through the Irish stream.

2. The Irish exam the other are talking about is for people who don't have a second European language .

Pm me for any further info

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Deedee27

What was the exam like

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LukeP26

Anyone have any info on the exam please? I have it in a few weeks but got 0 practice material.

Advertisement