Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Northern Ireland car dealer: no spare keys

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bob_Ireland

Hopefully by next week I'll have some news on this.....watch this space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

May we know who the dealer is? Might save someone else from similar unnecessary grief

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

If all else fails give rex-x €200 to sort it out .

The dealership I bought my car from:
    http://www.prestigemarques.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SJT1

I'm actually finding it very hard to sympathise with you on this, you went to another country, bought a car off some used car fella flogging ex leased stock and left without the 2 keys, just a promise???

My advice to you, call into a dealer here and pay the €300 or whatever it is to get a new key and take your medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Some nice cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

What car is it?

The dealership I bought my car from:
    http://www.prestigemarques.net/

They seem reputable but I checked testimonials on the drop down and there isn't any. Minor I know but be no harm for you to give yours.

What car is it?

I'm guessing Audi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

kay 9 wrote: »
    They seem reputable but I checked testimonials on the drop down and there isn't any. Minor I know but be no harm for you to give yours.

Testimonials... who writes them? Who reads them?

I am sure they will accept op's testimonials as soon as they receive them:rolleyes: And even if they do, nobody would notice them.

I doubt anyone is updating that part of the website tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Mobile only contact details?

kay 9 wrote: »
    I'm guessing Audi :D

Hi Yes it was an a4 :)

SJT1 wrote: »
    I'm actually finding it very hard to sympathise with you on this, you went to another country, bought a car off some used car fella flogging ex leased stock and left without the 2 keys, just a promise???

My advice to you, call into a dealer here and pay the €300 or whatever it is to get a new key and take your medicine.

I was naive, I could understand it happening with a private sale but I didn't expect it from a dealership :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The "missing 2nd key" thing isn't rare.

I'd never buy a car without both keys. The "missing" one could be used by a thief and your new chariot could be gone in seconds.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's not a dealership, it's a used car salesman!
    Their website has been around since April 2nd 2015 (http://whois.domaintools.com/prestigemarques.net).
    I don't believe that they've been in business much longer.

The guy who owns the business from what i can see is Maurice Lynn.
    Hopefully not the same guy as this: http://hb.betterregulation.com/external/Maurice%20Lynn%20Motors.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I was naive, I could understand it happening with a private sale but I didn't expect it from a dealership :(

A dealership? Really? :confused:

It's a guy selling a few ex-lease Audis from his back yard with a €300 Website and a makey uppey trading name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If experience is anything to go by, the spare key will be sitting in a drawer in the kitchen of the original driver of the car. If it got passed between a couple of drivers while on lease there's no hope at all that it will ever be found.

If there was only ever one driver then there's still an outside chance that the key will be sent to the leasing company, who'll then send it on to the trader that bought it at the auction, who will then send it on to the dealer. Very slim chance of this happening as that depends on the key arriving at the leasing company tagged with the reg number - if that doesn't happen, it's just another random Audi key to keep in a drawer in the office incase you need a spare battery for an Audi key.

kbannon wrote: »
    It's not a dealership, it's a used car salesman!
    Their website has been around since April 2nd 2015 (http://whois.domaintools.com/prestigemarques.net).
    I don't believe that they've been in business much longer.

The guy who owns the business from what i can see is Maurice Lynn.
    Hopefully not the same guy as this: http://hb.betterregulation.com/external/Maurice%20Lynn%20Motors.pdf

Yes he was the guy who sold me the Audi

Delight to see I helped out Gary. Dealer forward this email on to me today,
    The power of google :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Hi Everyone,

I need advice please I don't know what to do :(

I recently bought car from a dealer in Northern Ireland. The ad said two keys are included with the car. He promised me that the spare key was with the leasing company he imported the car from and he'd send it on to me once he got it from them. 2 months later I'm still trying to get in contact with him. Not replying to calls , emails or texts. When I eventually get through he makes up excuses.

I made sure to keep onto him, so three weeks ago he said he has the keys at home with him. He's been too busy and unwell to send them down. Now he's fed up with me contacting him and he said if I want the keys I will have to drive up and collect them. The drive is 3 hrs for me which he is well aware of. He's being very unreasonable, what can I do, he wont post them in fear that they'll get lost even with registered post. I feel like there's nothing I can do. I know if I call up to him he won't be there. I was quoted 329 for a new set, If anyone has advice please help

Bob.
    Where is he based? Tell him you've friends in Armagh...

In all seriousness, he's being a plonker, threaten him with small claims court perhaps? I'm in the north so that's what my first port of call would be. I'm not sure how that would work with you, but for the sake of €300 it might save you further hassle with him...

Edit: just read the thread.. ill remember the name !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Delight to see I helped out Gary. Dealer forward this email on to me today,
    The power of google :)
    Glad that the thread is working.
    I still believe that he won't cooperate with you or any legal threats that you make but fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

When I went over to Middlesbrough to buy an ex-demo S-Max from a Ford dealer to import into Ireland they were honest enough to admit to me on the day that they'd lost the spare key. It had been driven by a number of the staff, so one of them had misplaced it some time. They told me to just get a key cut myself (which wasn't cheap) and send them the bill, which all worked out fine.

As it happened, when I collected the car I also noticed the luggage area tonneau cover was missing, which they hadn't told me about! After a bit of investigation, they realised one of the staff had removed it and left it in his garage at home! So they said they would send it on to me.

Except that they got a bit of a shock when they found out how much it was going to cost to courier! So we came to a compromise as I had some UK relatives driving over on the ferry to visit us, so the dealer sent the cover to them at greatly reduced cost instead.

It turns out that the S-Max tonneau cover is a bit of a waste of time as you need to remove it when using the 3rd row of seats and there's nowhere in the car to store it. So having eventually got it, it's been in the corner of my garage for the past 7 years! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Cool story!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I presume modern Audis are the same as other German brands; if you're getting a new key coded, ask them to uncode all other keys except your current one and the new one, while they're doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I presume modern Audis are the same as other German brands; if you're getting a new key coded, ask them to uncode all other keys except your current one and the new one, while they're doing it.

...not sure of that..... because coding is supposed to be random there is no guarantee you're existing "good key" won't get reassigned. You could end up with a span new key that's fine and your existing ( and all not "not present") keys disabled.

Happened to me, in , yes , a German marquee. ....only way to guarantee it is....to get get 2 new keys....and you might end up with 3.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Was just going by my own experience; BMW unprogrammed an old key (which I never received) from my car's system when supplying me with a new one. Should be as simple as that.

But other brands may vary.

Final today I received my spare key. :D Thanks to this thread and to those people who helped out by contacting the dealership with those lovely emails. ;) The dealer finally gave in and was forced to pay out for my new spare key. He released his reputation was at risk. Cheers everyone, I didn't release the power of a forum... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Fair play to you Bob! Your'e a real terrier. I'd have given up and taken my beating.

Advertisement