Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Radiator recore

• 07-11-2016 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭ FirstIn

I'm wondering can anyone recommend a Dublin ,or reasonably close to Dublin, radiator recore business. I've a 1970s hillman with a HE rad that has seen better days. So the hope is to get it re-cored.

I can get a new HE rad from the uk but it's going to cost about 220 euro. I'm hoping a recore of the one I have would be a better bet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭ Silvera

'Kilcock Radiators' is just down the M4 from Dublin. Long established business and he seems like a nice guy to deal with (spoke with him by phone).

I got a radiator re-cored last week with 'Carlow Radiators' (another long established business). It was a large radiator (for a 3.0 car) and cost €350. In my case a new one was difficult to locate and would have cost the same (or more) when postage was included.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 Kevin_Herron

I have gotten a few large radiators recored in the past few years.
    I would personally go for the new option at €220.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭ macplaxton

Back in 2007, I got Sercks in Knockmitten Ind Est to recore a radiator for my car and add an extra threaded boss to one of the tanks (for later fitment that never happened of a temperature sensor for an electric fan) and that cost €150 way back then.

I don't go into town much, but is Harbour Radiators still round the back of Guinness's?

I'd recore if:

a) it is cheaper than a new rad or,
    b) you have special requirements (need extra holes, pipes, threads) or,
    c) the rad is unobtainable or,
    d) like to keep someone local in work.

but I get the feeling that a new one is going to be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ Testacalda

+ 1 for kilcock radiators, small business that has been in business a long time. Doesn't treat vintage or oddball radiatiors as a 'nusiance job' that he has no interest in.

Not too expensive, easy to deal with and has a reasonable turn around time.

They re cored (with a standard core) my austin 7 radiator last year think it was arouind 100 euro

(neither my pockets or schedule could afford the ribbon core!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭ Type 17

macplaxton wrote: »
    I don't go into town much, but is Harbour Radiators still round the back of Guinness's?

Yes, they're still there, I used them (at work) about a year ago for a giant radiator for a V8 Mercedes - not a re-core, but to re-solder leaky seams and pressure test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement