Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Radiator recore

Options
  • 07-11-2016 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering can anyone recommend a Dublin ,or reasonably close to Dublin, radiator recore business. I've a 1970s hillman with a HE rad that has seen better days. So the hope is to get it re-cored.

I can get a new HE rad from the uk but it's going to cost about 220 euro. I'm hoping a recore of the one I have would be a better bet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

'Kilcock Radiators' is just down the M4 from Dublin. Long established business and he seems like a nice guy to deal with (spoke with him by phone).

I got a radiator re-cored last week with 'Carlow Radiators' (another long established business). It was a large radiator (for a 3.0 car) and cost €350. In my case a new one was difficult to locate and would have cost the same (or more) when postage was included.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

I have gotten a few large radiators recored in the past few years.
    I would personally go for the new option at €220.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Back in 2007, I got Sercks in Knockmitten Ind Est to recore a radiator for my car and add an extra threaded boss to one of the tanks (for later fitment that never happened of a temperature sensor for an electric fan) and that cost €150 way back then.

I don't go into town much, but is Harbour Radiators still round the back of Guinness's?

I'd recore if:

a) it is cheaper than a new rad or,
    b) you have special requirements (need extra holes, pipes, threads) or,
    c) the rad is unobtainable or,
    d) like to keep someone local in work.

but I get the feeling that a new one is going to be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

+ 1 for kilcock radiators, small business that has been in business a long time. Doesn't treat vintage or oddball radiatiors as a 'nusiance job' that he has no interest in.

Not too expensive, easy to deal with and has a reasonable turn around time.

They re cored (with a standard core) my austin 7 radiator last year think it was arouind 100 euro

(neither my pockets or schedule could afford the ribbon core!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

macplaxton wrote: »
    I don't go into town much, but is Harbour Radiators still round the back of Guinness's?

Yes, they're still there, I used them (at work) about a year ago for a giant radiator for a V8 Mercedes - not a re-core, but to re-solder leaky seams and pressure test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement