Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice thread for Novice Woodturners.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

at 350 watts prolly underpowered except for balsa wood?
    What diameter blanks? OP

True, but you would not expect a Union Graduate for 200 euros.

Of course it all depends on what the op is going to make.
    euro budget is ok if you are lucky enough to pick up an old british cast iron machine.But it wont go far on a new branded machine with large capacity.

For a low budget I would source a cast iron second hand one. Rather than a new shiny piece of tin made crap.

They come up fairly regularly on Dung deal and adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hi,
    Im a young wood turned and wang to buy a bandsaw for preparing blanks etc. And have around 700-1000 to spend would anyone recommend a bandsaw around that price range,
    Thanks

OP where are you based.
    I might be able to assist, send me PM just with your location

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0518/1222407-louth-teen-prize-winning-pens/

A 17-year-old entrepreneur from Co Louth says he cannot wait to showcase his prize-winning pens on an international stage.

Tadhg O'Brien from Dunleer won the 2021 Foróige Youth Entrepreneur competition with his business, Monasterboice Scriptorium Pens.

Tadhg beat more than 5,000 young entrepreneurs to clinch the title.

He is now set to represent Ireland at the European Youth Entrepreneur Awards in Switzerland next year.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'll need to have a word with that reporter who claims beech is native.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, that's irritating. was in a bit of a hurry to turn the tenon off the bottom of this bowl and arsed up making sure the bowl was properly cushioned against the jam chuck. so now i've no way of mounting it again.

556531.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Is there a need to mount it again??

wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Hi all,

Thinking of doing a 1 day course with Glenn lucas. Would lovevto get into woodturning. 2 questions which answers might limit me. 1.Cost of initial equipment _ any recommendations for start up packages. 2. I only have a barn a building shed which is plenty big but will it be stable enough. Thanks on advance.

does glenn lucas do beginner courses?

you'd want to spend at least €500 on the lathe (very rough ballpark there) but might get lucky with a secondhand one if you can. you'd easily spend another few hundred on gouges, chucks, sharpening equipment.

if you mean is your shed stable enough, if the lathe is sitting on a wooden floor in a barna shed, it may be a lttle wobbly. if you can put a heavy table in and mount it to that it might make it more stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Have a good sturdy bench i can mount it to. Glenn lucas does 1 day course for 150 euro. Any ideas where to look online for tools. Also whats the best way to source suitable wood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Is the barn closed in? Any good tools will not enjoy being exposed to the elements in winter.

Ronaynes in thurles have a great stick of tools. Would highly recommend Glenn Lucas for a course, and he sells the best of tools also.

Also whats the best way to source suitable wood

join your nearest chapter of the woodturner's guild. the go-ahead has been given to restart meets next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ALAN.N

Hi i am after been asked to turn a few pens for our mens shed , any idea on the best place to buy supplies for pen turning in bulk  

Advertisement