Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value graphics card for my current PC setup

Options
  • 31-10-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I am looking for some advice and guidance for upgrading my PC graphics card. It would be nice to have something that is future proofed as I may go the 1440p and 100hz+ at some stage but that wont be happening for about a year or two.

Below is my current setup:

HP ENVY 700-311na
    Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (max turbo boost - 4.0 GHz)
    Motherboard: MS-7826 (Kaili)
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    2GB AMD Radeon R9 270 (Max 60hz refresh rate)
    3TB HDD

24" AOC Monitor - G2460VQ6
    HDMI & Display Port Input
    1920x1080@75Hz
    1ms response rate

So currently I can run games at Medium and High settings. Some older games on ultra. It would be nice to get High and Ultra on games like Battlefield 1 and DOOM plus with 75hz fps.

Screen tearing is a bit of an issue at times so having a AOC monitor with FreeSync should I stick with AMD graphics card or maybe consider another monitor as well as a new graphics card?

Budget wise I am looking to spend maximum 400 euro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can get a Nvidia GTX 1070 starting at the €400 mark which would do 1440 and 4k

http://www.mindfactory.de/search_result.php/search_query/1070/page/2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The 1070 as suggested above is an absolute monster of a card at 1440P and at 1080 is just godly with everything maxed out. For what its worth I'm much happier with Nvidia now I'v made the jump from a 280 to 1070 than I was with AMD for my previous two GPU's and am delighted with the results but seeing as you have a Freesync monitor maybe try a RX 480 or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

1070 gives me 144fps 1080p on Overwatch on almost everything ultra. If that's anything to go by. Also I don't see the necessity of a freesync monitor: set the fps max to the refresh rate and you're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭DarraghR

So if I was to go with a 1070 the MSI version looks the best but is it worth the extra cash. They are coming in at €500 which is a bit out of my budget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

what games are you playing?

• Advertisement

what games are you playing?

DOOM runs between 40 - 70 fps on medium settings
    Alien Isolation 60 fps on Ultra
    Tomb Raider 60fps+ on High

Playing a good bit of Battlefield 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

DarraghR wrote: »
    So if I was to go with a 1070 the MSI version looks the best but is it worth the extra cash. They are coming in at €500 which is a bit out of my budget

I went with the MSI Gaming X due to previous good experience with the brand. The cooler is an absolute beast, insanely quite under full load and has scored well in reviews from critics and the general public alike but you are paying extra for its quality. There are other really good 1070's out there but some have really funky color schemes.

Ok so based on the length of time that it will take me to afford a 1440p monitor and graphics card that can handle that resolution above 60 fps I have decided to go with the RX 480 4GB. The 8GB seems like a waste of money. Now to decide where to buy it and what manufacturer.

Can someone please tell me how to find out the exact model and series of my current graphics card. I have tried so many different ways but only know that it is a 200 series ....

When it comes to installing a new graphics card what do I need to be careful about? I know size would be one but what about connections etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

If you go in to device manager and look under display adapter you should be able to see your exact model number.

The connections will be the same as your old card so nothing to worry about.

I cant see the model anywhere :P

KDLhM3m.gif

Untitled.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-rgb-graphics-card-gx-37d-sp.html

I got this 480 and paid a tenner more for it at the time and it was a brilliant upgrade, cruises through BF1 and any other games I've thrown at it!

Would definitely recommend it!

From a lot of the benchmarks I have seen it looks like the 480 is the best choice for me. The 1060 does slightly better performance wise but not enough to justify the extra money. Plus I already have a Freesync monitor.

I am starting to consider getting the RX 480 8GB version now. For an extra 50 euro it might be worth it as future games may use a lot more VRAM. I also do some graphic design work with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ElNino wrote: »
    The connections will be the same as your old card so nothing to worry about.

Actually in this case they are different, the RX470 and 480's are 1xHDMI and 3xDisplay Port usually, no DVI ports available so may affect existing monitors or multi-monitor setups (some monitors would be just DVI/VGA, while other setups would have one connected via DVI and another via HDMI).

I have a very old Dell monitor that is sometimes used as a second display but I could just use a HDMI to VGA adapter or Display Port to VGA

By pure luck I found my graphics card model in Display Adapter Properties :P

Still cant decide on if I should get the 480 4GB or 8GB. I know it would benefit a few games out at the moment but would it be worth it future proof wise? I also do some graphic design work through Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Still cant decide on if I should get the 480 4GB or 8GB. I know it would benefit a few games out at the moment but would it be worth it future proof wise? I also do some graphic design work through Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

You may as well go for the 8GB so.

Can someone please tell me the differences between these two Sapphire Rx 480 8GB models. Ordering off this site tonight so want to make sure I get the right one. Very little price difference.

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEM311314 - €297.02

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEM311309 - €306.87

Only difference I can notice is one is Core Clock 1342 MHz Vs. 1208 MHz

Might there be a better version out there for €300? What does the NITRO+rever to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭xtal191

Would you not order from Overclockers? They have good prices for the 480s

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-480

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-379-sp.html

Thats 270 with delivery which isnt bad. But what about the version of that one? 30 extra with Elara gets you a faster speed by the looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You are not going to notice "speeds" in the same card.

Go with the one that suits your budget they both get the same driver updates.

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-PowerColor-Radeon-RX-480-Red-Devil-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1114628.html

Hmmm ok so I am a bit worried about the measurement of the card

Dimensions (WxDxH) 4.1 cm x 24 cm x 12 cm

The height is the most concerning...

16343566_10155755211729167_387678504_n.jpg

16343839_10155755211759167_194574129_n.jpg

16344042_10155755211664167_2087681009_n.jpg

16358442_10155755211754167_1973509419_n.jpg

Is the RX 480 8GB really that chunky?

Here is my setup - http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04343334

Hacksaw or new case?

Also your power supply is rated to power a 480?

If it supports an R9 270 the RX480 will be fine from a power point of view. Measurements wise, we can't answer that, you just have to measure all dimensions in the case and compare them with the cards you're looking at. The R9 270 is a decent size card though so you will get an RX480 to fit, but not all of them will fit.

There are also mini models of the GTX 1060 6GB if you're really paranoid for the same money, they will definitely fit as they're very small.

I saw that price on Amazon but its sold out and apparently there are added costs that drive the overall price up a good bit

My power supply is 500w. Its just a standard stock HP one

Trying to find out if my computer has a 8 pin PCI Express power connector or would it be standard. I know my r9 270 uses a 6 pin

Trying to find out if my computer has a 8 pin PCI Express power connector or would it be standard. I know my r9 270 uses a 6 pin

Its usually an 8pin with the 2 seperate so it can be 6 or 8.

• Advertisement

I think the R9 270 uses 2x6pin. Worst case scenario get a dual six pin to eight pin adaptor, though one of the connectors on the HP one is likely to be the 6+2 mentioned above.

Advertisement