Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sirloin Steak, Boulangere Potatoes (delicious,thanks tHB!), Asparagus, Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese.

3-FD71-EC3-6949-496-A-94-AC-81422-F7-DBF90.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I made a quick dish of Schufnudeln and salad for dinner last night.

EeOY5wN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Shenshen wrote: »
    I made a quick dish of Schufnudeln and salad

Lovely. Do you bother with a potato ricer for the spuds?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Shenshen - Would you also class those nudlen as Spaetzel?

They look very like the Spaetzli (boiled, then fried in butter) common in Bern.

The Nal wrote: »
    Lovely. Do you bother with a potato ricer for the spuds?

Nope, all I used was a pair of scissors to open the pack I bought in Lidl.
    I love them, but I've never made them from scratch myself.

• Advertisement

Friday - started losing my cooking mojo when I couldn't be ar$ed cooking at the end of a long week. Mrs B & The Kids did their pizzas & I got by with a chicken salad sambo & a cuppa.

Dinner last night was an unmitigated disaster... Schzuan beef with coconut rice salad. The stir fried beef was tough as old boots, the Schzuan sauce was freaky - numbed mouths all round. Maybe I didn't cook through the spices enough before adding to the sauce. Went into the bin even though the rice was bang on. Mrs B had the rice anyway. The Kids ate the bloody lot. Hungry savages!

Back to basics with a stuffed roast chicken, roast spuds, carrots & parsnips this evening. Got my cooking mojo back. Delicious.

Shenshen - Would you also class those nudlen as Spel?

They look very like the Spli (boiled, then fried in butter) common in Bern.

To be honest, I've never heard of Spel or Spil before. I tried googling, but no luck.

Shenshen wrote: »
    To be honest, I've never heard of Spel or Spil before. I tried googling, but no luck.
    Some weird system-edit when I used an "A" with an umlaut. Post edited.

Some weird system-edit when I used an "A" with an umlaut. Post edited.

OH!!! Ok, no, I wouldn't have guessed that from the auto-corrected words :D

No, these would be more like a cross between Gnocchi and Knoedel. A bit denser than Knoedel, and a bit bigger than Gnocchi.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Friday - started losing my cooking mojo when I couldn't be ar$ed cooking at the end of a long week. Mrs B & The Kids did their pizzas & I got by with a chicken salad sambo & a cuppa.

Dinner last night was an unmitigated disaster... Schzuan beef with coconut rice salad. The stir fried beef was tough as old boots, the Schzuan sauce was freaky - numbed mouths all round. Maybe I didn't cook through the spices enough before adding to the sauce. Went into the bin even though the rice was bang on. Mrs B had the rice anyway. The Kids ate the bloody lot. Hungry savages!

Back to basics with a stuffed roast chicken, roast spuds, carrots & parsnips this evening. Got my cooking mojo back. Delicious.

Good job and letting go and getting your mojo back. In my experience any of the pre cut beef or pork i have bought for stir fries has ended up quite - very tough; irrespective of cooking technique. I then realised that curring chunks / slices myself was always more tender. Now maybe it's just the cuts they use for the pre cut stuff is sh**e...I dunno:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    Good job and letting go and getting your mojo back. In my experience any of the pre cut beef or pork i have bought for stir fries has ended up quite - very tough; irrespective of cooking technique. I then realised that curring chunks / slices myself was always more tender. Now maybe it's just the cuts they use for the pre cut stuff is sh**e...I dunno:confused:

Velvetize the beef. Any cut. Even the cheapest.

Got the urge from last nights posts.

Bulgogi with rice

A Korean recipe. Fire meat. The Chinese takeaways do a version of it, but most are full of gloopy sauce. This version is fairly dry but moist. I tenderised and marinated the beef. The fire part comes from the mixture of soy, sesame oil, garlic and chili flakes over the beef. Veg cooked first. Red and green peppers. Onion and red chilli. Remove from the Wok and then put the beef in. Stirfry and put the veg back in and cook for a couple of minutes. Lash it over the rice and it's good to go. Make sure to have a cold beer to go with it. I managed to find some Tsingtao for the wash down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made a Spanish Lentil and Green Bean Stew. It’s a vegetarian dish but I had some chicken thighs that needed to be used up so I fried them off and chopped them up and threw them in at the end.

Looks a bit like a dogs dinner but it was gorgeous.

475243.jpeg

Made Côte de Boeuf tonight with roasted new potatoes and veg.

I’d never cooked a steak that thick so I followed the instructions rather than my own instincts. Absolutely cremated it. :(
    It was still nice but certainly not the way I like steak.

475346.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

On the plus side the potatoes look class!

cefh17 wrote: »
    On the plus side the potatoes look class!

:) They were rather nice alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Suckler

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Made Côte de Boeuf tonight with roasted new potatoes and veg.

I’d never cooked a steak that thick so I followed the instructions rather than my own instincts. Absolutely cremated it. :(
    It was still nice but certainly not the way I like steak.

The thickness of the steak usually lets you get away with over cooking it a bit. Had a bone in ribeye on the BBQ, it's hard to judge when to lift it!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Instant read narrow probe thermometers are a must for doing these

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Gone fishy this week, yesterday I made a simple fish pie it was so easy but so tastey! Enough for lunches too.

Today breaded and baked some hake with smashed peas, I missed fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

On the subject of fish, I bought The flexible pescatarian by Jo Pratt. It’s a beautiful book and I can see myself returning to it time and time again. Here’s smokes haddock mac n cheese with tomato and red onion salad. Both were delicious.
    2iw3hqc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Looks amazing, I love mac and cheese, my waistline however says no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

Aldi pulled pork with homemade slaw in a brioche bun. Really enjoyed it type of food I don't have often enough as nobody else in the house will eat pork or slaw! :( Had to give them beef burgers.

475604.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Ryath they are missing out that looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Homemade.

Salt and chilli ribs, egg fried rice, Spring Rolls (shop bought) with curry sauce and a Korean dipping sauce that my better half picked up somewhere, was delicious.

IMG-20190316-184906.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Ryath wrote: »
    Aldi pulled pork with homemade slaw in a brioche bun. Really enjoyed it type of food I don't have often enough as nobody else in the house will eat pork or slaw! :( Had to give them beef burgers.

475604.jpg

That looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Slow cooked Lamb Shanks with Gravy, Creamy Garlic Mash, Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli and Tomato Salsa

11-DC113-F-81-ED-44-D1-8-BBE-3-D849-A6-BFEFD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

Went full on Irish for the day with bacon, cabbage(done on the pan with shallots and grated carrot through it) mashed potatoes and parsley sauce. Not my usual fare really, but it was quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Came across fresh tomatillos in superfruit in Cork so it had to be Mexican. Tacos.
    Green salsa. Pickled red onion and beetroot. Fennel and orange salad. Black beans. Sour cream. Small tortillas.
    Beef short ribs slow cooked with chillies and stuff.

There's really nothing quite like fresh, homemade Mexican salsa verde.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Came across fresh tomatillos in superfruit in Cork so it had to be Mexican. Tacos.
    Green salsa. Pickled red onion and beetroot. Fennel and orange salad. Black beans. Sour cream. Small tortillas.
    Beef short ribs slow cooked with chillies and stuff.

There's really nothing quite like fresh, homemade Mexican salsa verde.

You can freeze tomatillos too. I always buy them all. Havent seen them about in Dublin for ages though

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    Went full on Irish for the day with bacon, cabbage(done on the pan with shallots and grated carrot through it) mashed potatoes and parsley sauce. Not my usual fare really, but it was quite nice.

Snap!

I had a few people back to the house yesterday and did the same meal and served it up on a big platter for a help yourself feast. Worked out really well. Not what your normally see buffet style.:D

Advertisement