Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi's Boyle's gin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

About 20 bottles in Knocknacarra Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Loads in the Aldi in the north Wall Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I just happened to spot this when shopping this evening so picked up a bottle. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow night. My usual additions would be juniper berries, pink peppercorns, cardamom and hibiscus flowers. I have yet to try the pink grapefruit but will buy some tomorrow. All other suggestions are very welcome.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cork Lass wrote: »
    My usual additions would be juniper berries, pink peppercorns, cardamom and hibiscus flowers. I have get to they the pink grapefruit but will buy some tomorrow. .

Is it bad that I have so far drunk it:

1: Neat
    2: With Club Diet tonic

And that's it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I have to admit that I've never drank neat gin :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I had it in a martini. Very refreshing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Malari wrote: »
    I had it in a martini. Very refreshing!

Recipe please?

Recipe please?

I use pretty much equal parts gin and sweet vermouth and add ice and a twist of lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

I use pretty much equal parts gin and sweet vermouth and add ice and a twist of lemon.

Way to much vermouth for my tastes most I'd use is 1part to 4 parts Gin. Or just a drop to wet the glass while chilling it with ice and then discard.

Winston Churchill
    "I would like to observe the vermouth from across the room while I drink my martini"

Forgot to check for when doing my shopping in aldi this week must try and pick up a bottle over the weekend. Wife is partial to a G&T

Ryath wrote: »
    Way to much vermouth for my tastes most I'd use is 1part to 4 parts Gin. Or just a drop to wet the glass while chilling it with ice and then discard.

Winston Churchill
    "I would like to observe the vermouth from across the room while I drink my martini"

Forgot to check for when doing my shopping in aldi this week must try and pick up a bottle over the weekend. Wife is partial to a G&T
    For dry martini yes, for sweet I prefer only slightly more gin to vermouth.

• Advertisement

Is that not rocket fuel?

Is that not rocket fuel?

I don't know what that means? Strong tasting? It's the way I like it, but as you see, others prefer different ratios of gin to vermouth.

I don't know what that means? Strong tasting? It's the way I like it, but as you see, others prefer different ratios of gin to vermouth.

I mean very high in alcohol content.

It's mixing a spirit with something else alcoholic so don't you get a very strong drink that blows your head off?

It's mixing a spirit with something else alcoholic so don't you get a very strong drink that blows your head off?

Oh! Well, vermouth is like 15% so it's not that strong, if you are only sipping one pre-dinner. I'm not drinking a heap of them if that's what you're concerned about :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Very interesting article on martinis and their history here.

http://www.ginfoundry.com/cocktail/sunday-brunch-3-martini-lunch/

That depends entirely on how much you drink of it. It really is that simple.

Just like the way an espresso has no more caffeine in it than an americano despite what many people think.

Oh! Well, vermouth is like 15% so it's not that strong, if you are only sipping one pre-dinner. I'm not drinking a heap of them if that's what you're concerned about :-p

But I might ;)

Ah I get you. I drink G&T before dinner but only 2 (large ones mind you).

I must try the martini, can you recommend a good vermouth?

But I might ;)

Ah I get you. I drink G&T before dinner but only 2 (large ones mind you).

I must try the martini, can you recommend a good vermouth?

Noilly Prat is a decent one, I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Had my Boyles with M&D diet mango n orange. Grand but can't taste the drink....Presume all the flowers and herbs aren't just to hide the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Had my Boyles with M&S diet mango n orange. Grand but can't taste the drink....Presume all the flowers and herbs aren't just to hide the taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Had my Boyles with M&S diet mango n orange. Grand but can't taste the drink....Presume all the flowers and herbs aren't just to hide the taste.
    Is that a fruit juice? If so, that would be closer to a cocktail, and it will certainly mask the flavour of the gin (in which case, you may as well drink the cheapest gin available). The general accompaniment would be a slice of lemon, or a slice of lime (or if you are particular, a piece of peel from a lemon or lime), typically with some tonic. Last night I had a gin and tonic with some lime peel and star anise. Very tasty! Haven't managed to get my hands on Boyle's gin but that may be my project for today. :)

Is that a fruit juice? If so, that would be closer to a cocktail, and it will certainly mask the flavour of the gin (in which case, you may as well drink the cheapest gin available). The general accompaniment would be a slice of lemon, or a slice of lime (or if you are particular, a piece of peel from a lemon or lime), typically with some tonic. Last night I had a gin and tonic with some lime peel and star anise. Very tasty! Haven't managed to get my hands on Boyle's gin but that may be my project for today. :)

Sounds like a great project!

I'm suffering with an ear/nose/throat dose and was utterly miserable yesterday. Thought I'd have some gin last night and it completely broke my dose! Gone is the itching, choking, everything feels soft and on the mend.

So I'll have to be having some more later........medicinal ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mixing spirits is not an additive process. Mixing a 37.5 or 40% gin with a 15% vermouth does not make a 52.5/55% drink...

Mixing a martini also involves using ice, which melts to produce part of the liquid. The end result is going to be in ~20% ABV range usually.

L1011 wrote: »
    Mixing spirits is not an additive process. Mixing a 37.5 or 40% gin with a 15% vermouth does not make a 52.5/55% drink...

Mixing a martini also involves using ice, which melts to produce part of the liquid. The end result is going to be in ~20% ABV range usually.

Eh, it's still going to be stronger than mixing it with tonic! Which also involves using ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Eh, it's still going to be stronger than mixing it with tonic! Which also involves using ice.

It's quite normal to drink whiskey or brandy neat and that would be a lot stronger! It's as always the quantity that matter.

Nowhere near blowing the head off levels though. I drink neat chilled Talisker sometimes - 45.8% - and it has no such affects.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I got a bottle of it yesterday and paired it with Schweppes tonic small cans (on 50% discount) , ice and lemon

It was divine and so smooth to drink, highly recommend:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »
    I see LIDL have launched a competitor - Rabbit Island gin - the bottle is very similar to Drumshanbo but without the ridges.

Its 40% and 25 euro a bottle.

Bought a bottle during the week, havent tried it yet.

I dont live near an ALDI so its difficult for me to get my hands on the Boyles - delicious though it is.

Has anyone seen this on the shelves or just in ads/brochures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Has anyone seen this on the shelves or just in ads/brochures?

I picked up a bottle last week but haven't opened it yet as I'm enjoying the bottle of boyles I got before it.

Advertisement