Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Bow Street Luas level crossing be closed to motorists

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

If I may repeat myself, the Luas junctions need better signage. It's all very well to say people should respect red lights, but surely it's levelling the playing field a bit to have a sign saying something like

EEEEEK!!! HORRIFYING HUGE TRAM COMING!!!!!! STAY BACK!!!!!!!!! OR YOU RISK YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, yes, red light cameras save lives

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/red-light-cameras-save-lives.htm

though people cause accidents by rear-ending compliant drivers; the rear-endings are less likely to be fatal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Roadhawk wrote: »
    To ban motorist access because of an incident is an absolute joke.

Yes, it would be. But there's a major problem with your post...

Nobody is suggesting banning access (rerouting is not banning) and, more importantly, nobody is suggesting doing so because of an incident, but a long history of problems at this junction. I'd suggest that it should never have been left open once a Luas was planned for both safety and capacity reasons.

Access to Bow Street and Smithfield square etc would be maintained via a number of routes. The closest route for tour buses would add very little extra distance onto routes.

This is my final earring in this:
    Figerty wrote: »
    I think you may have a problem there.... I can't imagine that 1 in 8 people in Dublin are cyclist, yet proportionately, 1 in 8 (12.6% cyclists) are breaking the red light.

This would mean that in reality, cyclist are in proportion to the numbers on the road, are the greatest red light breakers and far in excess of car users.

Correct me if I am wrong.
    Chuchote wrote: »
    As a start, if people would like cyclists to be prosecuted for breaking red lights, perhaps they would like to put pressure on the Gardaí to spend their valuable time contacting Dublin Bikes for data on their tracked and user-tagged bicycles? These already, in effect, have trackers, and so any cyclist riding one who goes through a light could be prosecuted, if the Gardaí wish to divert their resources to it.

Or perhaps traffic lights could have trackers that would immediately issue fines to both Dublin Bikes users and motorists who break the lights? (I should mention that a small study in Kerry found that 67% of lights-breakers were motorists.)

This thread about vehicles of a number of tons colliding with trams is not going to be derailed by off-topic nonsense about cyclists breaking red lights. I'm not the only one fed up with it, more than a few posters have expressed the same.

If you want to discuss cyclists breaking red lights feel free to add to one of the recent threads or start another one if you really think it's needed.

For clarity: Roadhawk has a three day ban for trolling and his main offending post deleted. He was already warned by admins that he will be banned for good if he continues posting as he is.

He/she has been warned about trolling enough and a combo of (1) bringing cycling back into the thread even after a moderator warning, and (2) playing the man and not the ball is enough for me to ban him for a few days even if he was replying to my normal post.

But I am also reporting this post to get the decision reviewed by c-mods and admins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Reviewed by cmod and upheld.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement