Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advise on TA 215 Energy and Environmental Engineering

• 28-10-2016 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking at going back to college as a mature student and this particular course interests me. There's other similar courses in Cork IT and Waterford IT that appear to be more popular. Tallaght would be closer to me so for that reason I'd like to apply here. Are there any graduates that can shed some light on the course?

What are the modules like?
    Are the lecturers who teach them helpful?
    Is there any work experience at the level 7 or level 8 programme?
    What's the employment rate for graduates like?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

toto14 wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking at going back to college as a mature student and this particular course interests me. There's other similar courses in Cork IT and Waterford IT that appear to be more popular. Tallaght would be closer to me so for that reason I'd like to apply here. Are there any graduates that can shed some light on the course?

Thanks!
    Is the course recognised by Engineers Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

toto14 wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals,

Thanks!

Graduated from the level 7 in 2013. The modules are a bit of a mixed bag, it's half and half electrical and mechanical engineering for the most part. Very little joined up thinking as to how the course should go together, department head wasn't helpful. Lecturers range from very good to atrocious, few in between. There is no work experience, very few colleges do this here. Most of the grads from my year went to do the level 8 and or a master's, a few more went to do a different course before they could get a decent job. The course is not accredited by engineers Ireland and likely will never be. I'd recommend looking at something else, ITT isn't a bad place but there's a good reason why the points are consistently low for this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TwoVersions

Graduated from the level 7 in 2013. The modules are a bit of a mixed bag, it's half and half electrical and mechanical engineering for the most part. Very little joined up thinking as to how the course should go together, department head wasn't helpful. Lecturers range from very good to atrocious, few in between. There is no work experience, very few colleges do this here. Most of the grads from my year went to do the level 8 and or a master's, a few more went to do a different course before they could get a decent job. The course is not accredited by engineers Ireland and likely will never be. I'd recommend looking at something else, ITT isn't a bad place but there's a good reason why the points are consistently low for this course.
    Did you or the other gradutes find it difficult to get a job out of this course and how important is the accreditation by engineers ireland?

Did you or the other gradutes find it difficult to get a job out of this course and how important is the accreditation by engineers ireland?

I went straight into another course. I would estimate (very roughly, it was 3 years ago) that half the class (30ish lads) went on to do the one year add on level 8 (science degree btw), 5 or so got shift jobs in Intel, and the rest went to study elsewhere or got a non engineering related job. Of the ones who did the level 8 I know of 3 who did a masters and then got good jobs, not sure about the others.

If you wish to become a chartered engineer then you must at the very least have an accredited level 8 degree. Whether that is important or not is personal opinion. Mine would be that it shows the course is of a certain standard, that it's easier to get into further study if your course is accredited, and of course that it looks better from an employers perspective.

sugarman wrote: »
    Sounds exactly like the Electro-Mech course which is what this replaced, so no real change there.

Wish I'd known that before putting it on the CAO!

• Advertisement
Advertisement