Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Studies Maynooth University

Options
  • 27-10-2016 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Hoping to apply for Media Studies in Maynooth for 2017 entry. Wondering if anyone can tell me on average/approx how many contact hours a week this involves. I want to combine it with English (and one other arts subject in first year).

On this year's timetable it appears to be 14 hours a week + 2 hours for your extra arts subjects. This seems like a lot to me/a very unequal balance? Is it actually this much or is it less of you're combining it with other subjects?

It's just that I'll be commuting a long way so I need to know roughly how many hours I'd be doing a week.

Also, if you've done it, what are your opinions?

Thank you, any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I did that course and it was always 50/50 in terms of Media and other subject. Or 33/33/33 in first year. I think we only had between 6-8 contact hours, max 10 anyway.

Honestly, as a course it was terrible. But it got me a job after as I only had to have a media or communications degree, they didn't care that the practical side of things was seriously lacking. I remember one day the 'practical' class consisted of us sitting around telling the lecturer our favourite TV show. He just wanted to fill the time.
    Luckily I was in a group of self-motivated students and we taught ourselves a lot of techie things. We only had a weekend of video editing, so we used make our own things and learn from youtube.
    I've seen graduates of other media degrees much better equipped to film and edit pieces. So guess depends what you want. This is a BA so very theoretical whereas an BSc would be more hands on.

Advertisement