Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too jaded to do anything after work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭openup

I'm a teacher too and I put a lot of effort into developing my life outside of work so that I didn't burn out. My standard work day is up at 6, leave home 6.45. My commute is hour and school doesn't stat til 8.25 so I've sometime to prepare for the day. School finishes at 4.15. I leave anytime from 4.30-7 though it's usually 5.30. It often takes an hour and a half to get home due to traffic. So that in itself is a pretty long day but unlike a lot of teachers I hardly ever take work home and if I do I make a point of doing it with TV/radio on so it doesn't feel like such a chore. So my tips:
    - Try and do something 4/5 nights a week. I usually have Mon or Thurs to myself but I try and do something every other night. The more you do, the more you get done and the more energy you have. So next week on Mon I'm going out for dinner, Tue I have a sports class (near school which forces me to stay late and work), Wed is parents evening, Thurs I get to chill. Doing stuff makes you feel good which in turn encourages you to get out and do more stuff.
    - Use your commutes. Obviously if you drive you can't read but you could listen to a podcast, tedtalk or radio drama? Or try listening to a new artist every week or do something productive other that listening to banal radio chat or depressing news while being annoyed at traffic.
    - I found being confident at improv teaching really helpful. Obviously we want all lessons to be perfectly planned but realising that if I just didn't have the time then I could still knock out something decent on the spot really took th pressure off.
    - I make my personal commitments the concrete thing in my diary and pencil work around it (within reason) so that I actually look forward to my days! Like it's never "If I finish my marking I'll come" it's "the more marking I get done now the better because I'm going out later".
    - Set personal challenges but tell someone. For the past few weeks I've started drawing for 30 mins everyday. I'm so proud of myself, I'e hadn't drawn in almost ten years. I struggled after a few days because work was too much and i was wrecked but then I told my mum and she made me send them to her everyday and I honestly can't believe how much I've gotten out of it. I told a friend who now write for a set time everyday and says she feels so accomplished as a result.
    - And the classic "write down 3 good things about each day". I don't do this consistently, just when I'm feeling a bit sh*t and it's one of the most helpful things.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,257 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There does tend to be a lot of tiredness in autumn and spring, the turn of the year. I have heard so many people complaining of being exhausted recently. There is some good advice in the thread, especially taking a supplement - it isn't necessary all year round but I find its a good idea to have a month of multivitamins in spring and autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

Guessed wrote: »
    As you're a teacher, I'm gonna guess that you typically leave your workplace at 4.30 and you say have the same commute home. Even if you left at 5.30, what you're describing would actually be quite a handy day compared to a lot of people, you still have 4-5 hours a day to spare before you get the head down for a full night's sleep and you have weekends off and plenty of holidays, far more than most.

I leave the house at 6.00 to start a 2 hour journey to work, typically an 8.5 hour day. My girlfriend leaves with me to go to the gym, because she has two businesses to run on top of a full-time job. I find time to head to the gym, study, run, go to the cinema and help out on a farm, all with considerably less time than you. We're not untypical and I know people who manage all that who are parents and really do have a lot to juggle in comparison.

I don't think the length of your working day or your quite easy commute is the issue. Perhaps your diet is poor, or you have bad exercise habits, or bad time management, but your working day and travel aren't the problem, in fact the relative ease and predictable regularity of them is probably your biggest asset in building a healthier life. Alternatively, you may want to think about whether teaching is for you at all if you find quite a short working day to be so taxing.

How? In this day and age with all the understanding that is out there? How is the pervading myth that teachers are somehow overpaid underworked life of riley layabouts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

If the tiredness is really excessive, are you sure there's no medical cause? Have you got your thyroid checked?

What age are you? I dunno, maybe its menopause or something. Get checked by the doctor. Maybe you can get treament if it is.

Give up using all sweet things and use pure honey throughout the day in your porridge , in tea coffee etc.
    Honey will give you energy

Rubbish. Honey is basically just sugar the same as well, sugar. It is about 70% fructose and glucose and it's only nutritional advantage over table sugar is that it has some vitamins and minerals.

From a sugars perspective it will do the same thing to your body as sugar as in it will cause rapid blood sugar elevation and insulin spikes. There is little to no advantage in substituting it for regular sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I work funny shifts. I bring my gym gear to work and go straight to the gym after work and it has done wonders for me physically and mentally. Even if I'm tired, I have a coffee and then work out and I feel pepped up. It also releases pent up tension. Maybe you could go on the boards nutrition forum and post your diet and get advice there?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

unreg9990 wrote: »
    +1 on that, never understood what people waste time being up so soon before they leave (obviously not including those with kids). I'm out the door in 10 to 15 mins after I get up, even less than 10 mins sometimes. Showering the night before is a great time saver and something I always do.

Are you a man? I only ask as as a women, doing hair, makeup and then brushing teeth, getting in breakfast in the mornings etc definitely take more than 15 mins...probably close to an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    Rubbish. Honey is basically just sugar the same as well, sugar. It is about 70% fructose and glucose and it's only nutritional advantage over table sugar is that it has some vitamins and minerals.

From a sugars perspective it will do the same thing to your body as sugar as in it will cause rapid blood sugar elevation and insulin spikes. There is little to no advantage in substituting it for regular sugar.

Honey has a lower GI value than sugar, meaning that it does not raise blood sugar levels as quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm a teacher, overweight and with a toddler to keep me busy at home. Last few years I was constantly wrecked after school, to the point of needing a nap. Obviously some of that is lack of sleep with the toddler but not all.

Five months ago I started walking. Forced myself out of the house three evenings a week. I'm not going to lie, it was absolute torture. Every step. I wanted to be curled on the couch. I wanted to be anywhere but walking.

Similarly I joined a regular Wednesday night meet up. I hated leaving the house, the slightest excuse and I'd want to pull out. However every time once I'd get there or come home I'd have enjoyed myself thoroughly and refreshed my head for the rest of the week.

I decided to take on 8 week challenges. That is, make a positive change then keep it up consistently for at least 8 weeks to try and make it a habit. This has me eating breakfast. Cleaning the house more regularly (less to do when it's not needing a deep clean). Taking 10 minutes for myself. Going out to exercise. So far it's working fairly well.

In the last six months I've dropped a size on bottom and top. I'm cooking better because I have more energy. I get antsy when I can't get to the gym or out for a jog. I'm 10 times happier and I'm not as exhausted in the evenings

You could be doing some/all of that but just my two cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

(for the record, I'm the child of a teacher so I know exactly what the job involves...)

OP, your day isn't any better or worse than anyone else's to be honest. I won't go into my day, there's no point. I've one piece of advice, that kind of echoes someone else's here. You need to be ruthless about getting your work done and going home. Your time management in the afternoons needs to be military strict. It's the only way. I've observed a lot of teachers over the years after school,and I've noticed that many of them have a tendency to just keep going endlessly in an evening, with stuff that might not always be absolutely necessary. Because you're into overtime (essentially) and it's still the afternoon, it tends to drift on for much longer than it should. Whereas if you were doing overtime in an office, it would probably be post 5:30/6pm, and you'd be much more conscious of needing to get home because night would be approaching. Does that make sense? Start being aware of the time and rationing it carefully, rather than the actual work, if that makes sense.

Also you need to pick a couple of nights where you're going to do classes or something like tag rugby. I wouldn't do something every night myself, leave a night free in between to recharge maybe. But "going to the gym" is an easy thing to cop out of for everyone, once you get home. If you have to turn up at something at a specific time, where people are waiting for you, you're less likely to sit at home instead!

Also this time of year is exhausting. I hate it, personally. The change to winter is so, so tough and the clock change was only last weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

There's loads of us here!

I'm terrified of burnout, but worried that it's already happened. Was working 90 hour weeks on average for over a year in a pretty high pressure job (which I do love though - except I hate it now also because of the stress), and, now it's getting to normal, I can't adjust / relax. Work became my life.

Some really good advice on this thread. What scares me is how common this has become.

Give up that 90 hour week job. You're a busy fool working that kind of hours.
    In time, that will have a direct and serious impact on your health. Up to and including cancer from stress and lack of exercise. Mark my words.

Working like that leaves essentially no time to live your life.
    Wouldn't catch me doing it for all the tea in China, that's for sure. Not worth the money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

in general all paye workers are tired and worn out. i work in corporate company 40 + hours margin margin margin thats all i hear . I hate it and look forward to curling up in the evenings. I am now walking away i have no life pay huge rent and all the other sundries to do with living away from home.
    I am walking out on christmas eve and cant wait i am taking a year off to reprogram my life and see what i really want. I am full of fear but the alternative is to die digging the coporate ditch .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

OP, a lot of it is mind over matter. You have to power your way through it especially later in the day.

My alarm is scheduled to go off at 7, but the kids always beat me to it and I am up any time from 6. Get them ready, prepare their breakfast, off to the creche and then to work. Home by 7:30, get them into bed which is always a challenge. Then it's time to start cooking and clean up the house a bit. Usually finished eating by 9:30, and do small tidy up and done by around 10. I then sit for 30 mins to let the food digest. This is the toughest part of the day, I am usually ready to sleep by 10:30, but instead I hit the gym as it's the only time I have available to do it. Once I am warmed up in the gym, the tiredness is quickly gone and I have a surprising amount of energy.

Most days I don't want to go as I just feel wrecked, but I have not once regretted going. It's tough at the start but once you have a routine going it gets much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

It's routine and mentality. If your routine is to do nothing then you are lethargic anyway regardless of work and commuting. Do a rota for a month of things to do after work and stick to it. After a few weeks your in an active routine as opposed to a static one! Unless your ill the body generally is willing and wants activity but the brain can be a lazy pox sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

had to reply to this. "Handy day"= 30 kids all day long with huge and very important needs, the normal lessons 6/7 per day that are planned, prepped, typed into notes , reflected upon. Example: Maths, Science, English, History, Geography, Music, Art, SPHE, P.E., Gaeilge. Do I have video clips collected, have i printed and laninated resources, do I have my materials ready..what do i need to buy, do I know what im teachinh, how will i teach it.
    Then remembering for example in maths these 5 kids need easier work, this child is EAL and needs visual aids, this child is a high achiever so prepare extra work-this happens for your 30 kids.
    After school hours all planning takes place and the following: Write a plan for each 7 lessons 5 days a week. Write another plan: what have you taught. Do assessments: Write checklists, fill them in, evaluate them, Fill in observation forms, collate self assessments, correct tests and fill into record sheets, photocopy kids work and add to assessment folders and so on and so on.
    In class, after class : johnny has a bruise on his arm, (follow huge and very necessary procedure), kate is crying why? Alex is always hungry note is this neglect, two kids have bumped headz get ice packs ring home write report, 2 kids are fighting on yard, doscuss, resolve, create social stories to address this, sarah has special needs ..link in with resource teacher as she is highly anxious today..try ro calm and ease tension, 4 cuts after yard ..this is for EVERY child EVERY minute of the day and a lot of things that are going on stay with you, you take it home (though you shouldnt).
    You are a caregiver, nurse, social worker, educator, and dont forget these little lives are with you all day so you become as inportant as their parents. You build their confidence, self esteem..you help to mold little lives but you also have to teach a full curriculum every day that wont fit into your timetable in reality. You go home feeling miserable that x y and z wasnt taught today on top of all the emotional stuff. You are fighting for kids with any additional needs, how can i get them help/do they need assessment/ what forms do i fill in/keep a huge record to build your case.
    On top of this you correct all 6/7 subjects everyday. Impossible to do in a younger class so you guessed it. ..it all comes home or is done before and after school.
    I am SO TIRED of this "handy number" spiel. I DO NOT propose to know your job..why do you propose to know mine? This is the bare bones of a primary teacher's day. I havent includec meetings, course days, croke park hours, the fact that you cant pee because theres no time..hold it until your 10 minute break and get no break. Big vreak is 20 minutes unless youre on yard or taking extra sports classes that you have to take.
    Parents believing every single word out of their childs mouth..if teachers did that we would believe you went to the moon yesterday in the car..we have to deal with aggressive parents, every week one teacher is crying- this is the norm this is part of the job. Building, developing and maintaining rrlationships with parents lets include that also. Lets not forget Mary is brilliant at everything and the new trend of "change her report card".
    The Op is exhausted because of work life balance on her "handy job" because the op finishes earlier than most ( or do they?)
    Its a full on emotional job OP and so important to make time for yourself..plan something nice at the weekends, meet a friend one evening a week (head straight from work) this will help yiu to start getting your life back.

Tldr: I dont know what you do everyday in your job so how do you know my "handy" job?

Advertisement