Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster (Pro12 runners up) vs Connacht (Pro12 Champions), RDS 29/10 17.15 SKY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yeah there were a couple of posts about him being anonymous or needing to cop on. Really only our second rows seemed to struggle tonight, everyone else did well and put their hand up.

Fair fecks to Cullen, he's really built a squad over the last two years. Clearly looking at how progressive Schmidt has been with bringing in new talent and copied that for Leinster.

I've a few foibles in one or two positions but yeah, he's done a great job.

Leinster were missing from the starting XV tonight: McGrath, Furlong, Toner, VdF, Heaslip, McGrath, Sexton, Henshaw, Ringrose and Kearney. That's 10 players. The coaches deserve immense credit for being able to put out a team that decent and also put in such a coherent performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Reid was cr*p in attack, irrespective of what tackle count he put up. He was totally headless. He was the guy in between two inexperienced players who should have fronted up and taken some ownership in attack but instead he frequently hesitated, and on more than one occasion threw the ball back to JGP like it was a game of touch rugby. Made absolutely no metres and the best pass of the night from him was forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Leinster with the better wingers. :D

Yes. There will be a lot of Connacht supporters tonight arguing for Byrne and Daly to be given a run in green in the Canada game if not in some of the bigger AIs as well. As minimum, Byrne to bench for the NZ games. Not sure I agree, but presume that how they see it down Galway way.

Hagz wrote: »
    Reid was cr*p in attack, irrespective of what tackle count he put up. He was totally headless. He was the guy in between two inexperienced players who should have fronted up and taken some ownership in attack but instead he frequently hesitated, and on more than one occasion threw the ball back to JGP like it was a game of touch rugby. Made absolutely no metres and the best pass of the night from him was forward.

"Noel, we're playing a team tonight that have no carriers in their pack but their midfielders like Robb and Aki can make good yardage and release their backs who will punish us. I want you to tackle hard and high and prevent the ball from going wide. If we do that then they will struggle to score and we win on penalties against or through our superior carriers. Do you think you can manage that?"

Noel Reid "Yes Leo, no hassle boss."

Boards.ie "Noel Reid is shjt"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Leinster are on the brink of something special. Really enjoying watching them play again which is something which dissappeared over the last 3 years. The return to form of Healy, Tracey coming though, Furlong establishing himself as Ireland's number 3, VDF continuing the form of his breakthrough year, Leavy coming through and looking the real deal, the return of SOB, the continued excellence of Heaslip, JGP looking like a quality player and future leader, Carberry's breakthrough, Henshaw fitting right in, Ringrose coming up with BOD like plays when the team need it in Europe, Isa playing some of the best rugby of his career, and Lancaster's experience behind the scenes.. let's just say it's been an excellent start to the season!

• Advertisement

"Noel, we're playing a team tonight that have no carriers in their pack but their midfielders like Robb and Aki can make good yardage and release their backs who will punish us. I want you to tackle hard and high and prevent the ball from going wide. If we do that then they will struggle to score and we win on penalties against or through our superior carriers. Do you think you can manage that?"

Noel Reid "Yes Leo, no hassle boss."

Boards.ie "Noel Reid is shjt"

I know you like to dream up conversations by coaches Venjur, but it isn't really a legitimate way to engage in a debate...

He made 13 tackles. Good for him. Three cheers for Noel Reid. But he was anonymous in attack and it wasn't because he was shut out or he didn't get enough ball. He shied away from it.

Regardless, it's humbling that my opinion is taken as that of Boards.ie.

I know you like to dream up conversations by coaches Venjur, but it isn't really a legitimate way to engage in a debate...

He made 13 tackles. Good for him. Three cheers for Noel Reid. But he was anonymous in attack and it wasn't because he was shut out or he didn't get enough ball. He shied away from it.

Regardless, it's humbling that my opinion is taken as that of Boards.ie.

Ah look, I'm not having a go but it's very common on this forum that a narrative happens and it becomes the "status quo" of a player.

Reid was very clearly working hard to make sure that Connacht got nothing over the gainline in mid field and had absolutely nothing to feed wide after contact.

Going forward is generally where he shines and yet tonight he was one of the most important players in shutting down Connachts attack (an area he is generally considered weak)

He did a specific and not glamorous job tonight but it was clearly effective. Well done Noel Reid, you disrupted Connacht all night but did it in an anonymous way...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I don't remember Reid doing much in attack. He took a beautiful line onto that forward pass by Carbery but other than that, quiet.

And it doesn't matter. We all know he is a great passer, has a killer step and great acceleration. What lets him down is his defence and his propensity for doing stupid things.

If he shows less flair but keeps playing the way he has this season, then that's an OK trade-off for me.

• Administrators Posts: 53,564 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Leinster are decent.

awec wrote: »
    Leinster are decent.

Molloyjh give awec back his phone ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

What did people on here think of Barry Daly? Imo he looks to be a great find.

What did people on here think of Barry Daly? Imo he looks to be a great find.

He didn't look out of place, took his try well and defended well especially on one particular occasion. See how he goes over his next 4 - 5 games and get a better sense then against more varied opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

A question - might Conan have been foot-tripped by O'Halloran (?) just after his exquisite kick-through following the Byrne break?

The TV replays weren't definite, but I thought I saw a foot trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Turnipman wrote: »
    A question - might Conan have been foot-tripped by O'Halloran (?) just after his exquisite kick-through following the Byrne break?

I thought so when I saw it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭typhoony

as poor as we were tonight we fluffed a great chance to score just before half-time, if we had I think the bonus point would have been safe or at least if not the win/

Leavy has been the star performer this year any match I've seen, I think he's better than JVDF

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Certainly looked like it

Ah look, I'm not having a go but it's very common on this forum that a narrative happens and it becomes the "status quo" of a player.

Reid was very clearly working hard to make sure that Connacht got nothing over the gainline in mid field and had absolutely nothing to feed wide after contact.

Going forward is generally where he shines and yet tonight he was one of the most important players in shutting down Connachts attack (an area he is generally considered weak)

He did a specific and not glamorous job tonight but it was clearly effective. Well done Noel Reid, you disrupted Connacht all night but did it in an anonymous way...!

I'm not having a go at you or anything, but I just want the facts out. Having re-watched the game, Noel Reid didn't shut out Connacht's mid-field. In fact, he did very little to cope with the threat of Connacht's mid-field. He made 4 tackles on Connacht's centres. 2 against Ronaldson, 1 against Robb and 1 against Aki. None were high and the one on Aki was at the fringe of a ruck where Aki was already falling over.

In fact, he missed more than he made when it came to trying to take down Aki and Robb. He slipped off Robb twice and Aki twice. The reality is that that 13 tackle count is generous to say the least.

I sound like I have an agenda against him at this stage, but like I said, I just want the facts out. He had very little influence in defence and attack this evening.

typhoony wrote: »
    as poor as we were tonight we fluffed a great chance to score just before half-time, if we had I think the bonus point would have been safe or at least if not the win/

Leavy has been the star performer this year any match I've seen, I think he's better than JVDF

They are both very good. Today was a game that was kind of made for Leavy, he was able to use his physicality to great effect. VDF is an both extremely smart in what he does but also incredibly athletic in terms of his impact. Leavy was eye catching today, but Joe's eyes will be very much more caught by VDFs contributions this season when our pack have struggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Bazzo wrote: »
    Leinster were the better team on the night. Their defence was excellent and their breakdown work was acres ahead of Connacht, but saying Connacht just tried to run the ball all night with their "plan b" being the same with crossfield kicks is patently untrue, I'm not even sure why you'd try to claim that. They started the night off with a strong kicking game, then when they started losing their shape after 20 they reverted to a running game that didn't work too well.

For the first 20 minutes they were revelling in Nacewa's positioning. He was leaving acres of space and it was ruthlessly exploited. I was thinking of the forum's debates on Kearney as I watched it. When Connacht went to their running game Leinster's linespeed denied them the time and space to execute well. A lot of their later kicking was poorly executed but I still thought that they spent too much time trying to get their running game going.

That wasn't Nacewa's positioning. His two wingers were sitting a little too high leaving him with too much ground to cover. Although having said that, you might argue that Kearney would have done a better job at shepherding the young kids, but then again Nacewa is a strong leader himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Was a moment early in the first half that showed what Dan Leavy is all about this season. On around 15 minutes Leinster were just outside the 22. Gibson-Park fizz a flat pass to Leavy who muscled past two tacklers making 10 metres before being brought to ground. But he still had the presence of mind to pop an offload on the deck. It didn't go to hand but that's more because his support wasn't on the same wavelength. His groundwork has always been good. But he's more physical this year and he's really impressing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

after a few dodgy years , leinsters productions line seams back to full service - VdF, Ringrose, Leavy, Byrne, Daly, Tracy, Furlong, McGrath x2 ,Carberry and a few others - very promising for future - great to see a team made up of local talent , unlike say some Fremch teams

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That wasn't Nacewa's positioning. His two wingers were sitting a little too high leaving him with too much ground to cover. Although having said that, you might argue that Kearney would have done a better job at shepherding the young kids, but then again Nacewa is a strong leader himself.

I would imagine looking at it, that was tactical more so than the two young lads drifting up. Nacewa is hardly the sort of guy who would just let them away with it. We were clearly playing that pressing game to nullify the wings and the trade off is the space behind. Carty punished us a few times early on, but as someone earlier pointed out, when Ronaldson went off that changed. It seems like Cartys confidence comes from having Ronaldson there. It may be harsh to criticise Byrne and Daly for the positioning, if that's what was being asked of them.

That's a fair comment. I overlooked that it may have been tactical.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I didn't get a good view of it but it seemed like an accidental collision to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I didn't get a good view of it but it seemed like an accidental collision to me.

Yeah completely accidental. Nothing at all in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Adbrowne wrote: »

Saw Sexton on Rte last night speaking about this little angel who passed away.
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/branch/15376.php#.WBWhziSQHCQ
    RIP Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

clsmooth wrote: »
    Great performance by Leinster.

- Healy truly back to top form
    - SOB rusty but with a few moments of class. Should bench in Chicago
    - Conan, Cronin and especially Leavy excellent
    - Back 3 very good. Nacewa playing as second playmaker from 15 and really taking pressure off Carberry. Adam Byrne with some eye catching moments

Allot to be cheerful about there
    Delighted to see Conan back
    Wud love Isa to play FB in European games again. Still a cut above the rest
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=528HoWAprvo
    Good times!
    ...Are back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭TeoReid

lineout was ****e though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

TeoReid wrote: »
    lineout was ****e though

Yeah it wasn't great. Lost two in attacking positions and never really challenged theirs at all. Had a lot of trouble getting guys up off the ground in defensive lineouts.

Advertisement