Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Too much sugar

• 20-10-2016 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Jen32

Hi All,
    I made a batch of Dark Ale last night and was supposed to use 1Kg of spraymalt....instead I used 1.7Kg. Is this going to ruin the batch ?
    If so is there anything I can do to save it (it's a double batch 80 bottles)

Thanks

Comments

• It'll be grand, just a bit stronger and heavier than expected.

• Have you the recipe there?

Generally spraymalt and sugar (dextrose) are treated as two different things. Spraymalt being a much higher quality addition.

• BeerNut wrote: »
    It'll be grand, just a bit stronger and heavier than expected.

That's good news thanks. There's a fairly large head on the wort......hope that's not a sign of an eruption of some description :)

• irish_goat wrote: »
    Have you the recipe there?

Generally spraymalt and sugar (dextrose) are treated as two different things. Spraymalt being a much higher quality addition.

Don't have it handy but it recommended exchanging 1kg of sugar for 1kg of spraymalt but I misread it

• Generally it's 1kg of DME for 1 can of kit, so if you're doing a double (i.e. 2 cans of kit) then 1.7kg would be fine.

• Advertisement

• It would be fine...but I used 1.7Kg x 2 :eek:

• Ah I see. It'll be grand, stronger and heavier as The Beer Nut says but still fine. Only real thing you could do to alter it would be to top it up with a bit more water but you're into guessing territory there so you're probably best leaving it be.

• Be grand. Call it a winter warmer and drink it at Xmas.

Did you take a gravity reading?

• I didn't take a gravity reading because I dropped and smashed the hydrometer earlier that night. All in all not one of my better evenings !
    Thanks everyone for the advice....I think i'll just leave it and let it do it's thing

Advertisement