Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much sugar

• 20-10-2016 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I made a batch of Dark Ale last night and was supposed to use 1Kg of spraymalt....instead I used 1.7Kg. Is this going to ruin the batch ?
    If so is there anything I can do to save it (it's a double batch 80 bottles)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It'll be grand, just a bit stronger and heavier than expected.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Have you the recipe there?

Generally spraymalt and sugar (dextrose) are treated as two different things. Spraymalt being a much higher quality addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Jen32

BeerNut wrote: »
    It'll be grand, just a bit stronger and heavier than expected.

That's good news thanks. There's a fairly large head on the wort......hope that's not a sign of an eruption of some description :)

irish_goat wrote: »
    Have you the recipe there?

Generally spraymalt and sugar (dextrose) are treated as two different things. Spraymalt being a much higher quality addition.

Don't have it handy but it recommended exchanging 1kg of sugar for 1kg of spraymalt but I misread it

Generally it's 1kg of DME for 1 can of kit, so if you're doing a double (i.e. 2 cans of kit) then 1.7kg would be fine.

• Advertisement

It would be fine...but I used 1.7Kg x 2 :eek:

Ah I see. It'll be grand, stronger and heavier as The Beer Nut says but still fine. Only real thing you could do to alter it would be to top it up with a bit more water but you're into guessing territory there so you're probably best leaving it be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Be grand. Call it a winter warmer and drink it at Xmas.

Did you take a gravity reading?

I didn't take a gravity reading because I dropped and smashed the hydrometer earlier that night. All in all not one of my better evenings !
    Thanks everyone for the advice....I think i'll just leave it and let it do it's thing

Advertisement