Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early 30s first time driver

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

jimgoose wrote: »
    We all understand perfectly well what the insurance game is about. ..............

My belief, in a nutshell, .............

You don't sound like you understand at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don;t really get this, I imagine they should be safer drivers than somebody younger?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Allinall wrote: »
    You don't sound like you understand at all.

Well why don't you correct me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I don;t really get this, I imagine they should be safer drivers than somebody younger?

Most people would. Of course most people are arch criminals, defrauding insurers day in day out, changing identities at the drop of a hat (that's why it took so many decades for insurers to spot all this fraud). So we would say that, wouldn't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

xtraxtra wrote: »
    ...@Sue Pa Key Pa... How are you suggesting people "re-invent" themselves? I would imagine any insurance company can readily trace your motoring history

They can, but it's obviously much more fun to deduce from the tea-leaves that anyone who leaves it a few years later than normal to start the old driving rigmarole is a bigger bastard than Ernst Stavro Blofeld! :pac:

• Advertisement

They can, but it's obviously much more fun to deduce from the tea-leaves that anyone who leaves it a few years later than normal to start the old driving rigmarole is a bigger bastard than Ernst Stavro Blofeld! :pac:

With the age of average Irish car being > 8 years, and FBD refusing (because scumbags) to insure cars >8 years... really the majority of us would appear to be hardened criminal scumbags.

It's a wonder we have time to be posting here at all between the passport forging and dissolving our fingerprints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

It would be a fairly trivial matter for an insurance company to find out if such a thing was indeed going on in any particular case, by collaborating with the RSA/NDLS and the Gardaí. This reads like more bullshit.

So when you go online looking for a quotation, you would be happy for a message to pop up saying "We'll be back to you with a quote as soon as the RSA/NDLS & Gardai respond to our written request for confirmation of your history". The reply will invariably be sorry, Data Protection Act

Without direct access to your background information, insurers will rely on their experience of similar profiles

So when you go online looking for a quotation, you would be happy for a message to pop up saying "We'll be back to you with a quote as soon as the RSA/NDLS & Gardai respond to our written request for confirmation of your history". The reply will invariably be sorry, Data Protection Act

Without direct access to your background information, insurers will rely on their experience of similar profiles

Sooooo if people are going to lie about their history they should make sure to lie about their age too?

If somebody just wants a cheap piece of paper that will pass cursory inspection and allow them access to the crash for cash party this weekend - they should just "be" that 42 year old accountant with full licence? Or a 20 year old learner?

Just charge everybody the one price for TP cover altogether, if ye do ZERO checks and have to pay out the TP no matter what and NEVER recoup any significant amount of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Just charge everybody the one price for TP cover altogether,

By far the easiest option for all concerned, as long as you are happy to pay the same amount as your neighbour who has the expensive accidents, when you've never had a dent in 30 years

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

We all understand perfectly well what the insurance game is about. My belief, in a nutshell, is that most of these insurance companies are losing money due to mismanagement and appalling incompetence, and that they are complacent about it because they have a giant barrel full of fish to shoot at, as 'twere, while feeding us a bunch of whiney, plausible-sounding made-up excuses with the able assistance of various asshole actuaries.

If that were the case there'd be loads of new entrants into the market with ultra lean efficient operations offering really competitive rates.

They'd clean up too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Crikey this thread went quiet in a hurry.

Trying to make sense of any of that, but I'm failing.

We understand that you don't understand btw.
    Go on, is there a particular part of it that's throwing you?

It's a fairly simple post that can be broken down into two main messages.

Is it the "zero explanation is better a makey uppy BS explanation" statement?

Or the "personally I believe that there ARE many decisions made that ARE based on makey uppy BS rather than a grown up analysis of the stats".
    Crikey this thread went quiet in a hurry.

It did.

It did.

I was referring to the real thread content, and not the nonsense part.

Advertisement