Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthony Foley RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

R.I.P.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Last I checked a funeral doesn't just include the burial.

Well to me the funeral is the mass/burial part, the wake/paying respects is separate, and that's why I was confused by the reports about how many people attended. Your first reply sorted that out for me, not sure it needed the second reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some images from the weekend

CveQ3J2WAAA4B0B.jpg

CvXg_B9WEAAvrkv.jpg

CvdMqXkWEAECRH1.jpg

Cvc2AgMWYAQKNew.jpg

Cvc7KQ2XYAAUtwN.jpg

CvZtvHtWgAAHlE1.jpg

CvdgvqNXYAAXNZf.jpg

CvZKp2PXEAEJsHn.jpg

CvdVVALXgAAIBYJ.jpg

CvZM4NoWIAAorHs.jpg

Cvd7-xDWIAAv5RO.jpg

CvXbYnRWgAApOER.jpg

CvXVYr2WgAAI2Uw.jpg

CvXVamyXYAA-4Em.jpg

CvYg-ZmWcAAUnfe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Anyone know if this Facebook campaign is real???

#8masses4no8 ???
    https://www.facebook.com/axelfoleymemorial/

Seems to run by his wife, Olive, on behalf of his son Tony, who came up with the idea on Saturday, the day after he buried his father?

I would hate to think someone is using the family name and the sensitive circumstances for their own gain.

I've emailed Munster Rugby, who may be best placed, and asked for them to look into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Does anyone on here have a contact in Munster Rugby? This is the response I got, from an Admin Assistant in Independent Park
    Many thanks for your email.
    As facebook is a public forum we have no control over what people put up, but I would suggest for any official updates keep an eye on our own website or the MRSC official facebook page.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

flanzer wrote: »
    Does anyone on here have a contact in Munster Rugby? This is the response I got, from an Admin Assistant in Independent Park

Standers wife is fairly active on twitter, I would suggest maybe contact her.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

All contact info for staff in Munster rugby is on the Munster website.
    This is the official branch book for the season. All contact info is listed in that. Contact there if you have issues with this but considering you have already got a response from an admin staff member what else do you want?
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/files/flash/Red_Book_2016-17.pdf

All contact info for staff in Munster rugby is on the Munster website.
    This is the official branch book for the season. All contact info is listed in that. Contact there if you have issues with this but considering you have already got a response from an admin staff member what else do you want?
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/files/flash/Red_Book_2016-17.pdf

The response seemed like a generic response that staff are trained to say, which is fair enough. I can people tagging in his wife already. I wouldn't say she is going near social media at the moment

If it's genuine, fair enough, but some people may have extreme egg on their face

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Met him in a pub in Exeter during the WC last year after the Namibia v Georgia match. I was wearing a Munster jersey so that drew his attention. Had a great chat with him and his wife about the game and the tournament in general. I then asked him if he was at the game. "I was. I was the ref sure" he says. :o I had many shandys in me at this stage and he looks SOOOO different in person than he does on the telebox (thats my excuse anyway). I still cringe :o Lovely people though.

I wonder if you had a Shannon jersey on, would he have been so friendly :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

that facebook campaign has been tweeted by a person i know is friends of the family, and has also been posted by the limerick leader on their twitter account, so while i can't say for sure, it would seem to be legit

Mc Love wrote: »
    I wonder if you had a Shannon jersey on, would he have been so friendly :D

You'd never see me in a Shannon jersey :P

Impeccably observed minutes silence from Blackheath U12 and visitors Bishop Stortford for Anthony Foley. RIP Axel.

14731171_10210874314634502_3714702674392665148_n.jpg?oh=761f6c5db093ca8ea25ff07d99a99b48&oe=588FE1ED

mossym wrote: »
    that facebook campaign has been tweeted by a person i know is friends of the family, and has also been posted by the limerick leader on their twitter account, so while i can't say for sure, it would seem to be legit

I'm beginning to believe it's true now. joe.ie are running with it too and have said the family issued a press release. Where would one find that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Joe.ie running with it just means that Joe.ie have read this page.

The Leader re tweeting it isn't a basis for it's authenticity either.

I dunno, it seems a strange thing for the family to ask.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Joe.ie running with it just means that Joe.ie have read this page.

The Leader re tweeting it isn't a basis for it's authenticity either.

I dunno, it seems a strange thing for the family to ask.

the leader didn't retweet it, they have a whole story about it. as have multiple different sites. all the same quotes which suggests it comes from a press release.

if it turns out to be a hoax, then there are going to be a lot of people with egg on their faces.

given how many news sites are now pushing it i'm finding it hard not to believe it's legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Yerra, if the family want to ask people to go to mass for a few days, they are quite entitled to do so.
    Personally it wouldn't make any difference to me and my personal beliefs, but if they find comfort in the church and religion at this trying time, who are we to say no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I won't be going but if it gives the family some comfort can't see the harm in the request

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Anyone know if this Facebook campaign is real???

#8masses4no8 ???
    https://www.facebook.com/axelfoleymemorial/

Seems to run by his wife, Olive, on behalf of his son Tony, who came up with the idea on Saturday, the day after he buried his father?

I would hate to think someone is using the family name and the sensitive circumstances for their own gain.

I've emailed Munster Rugby, who may be best placed, and asked for them to look into it

I think it's legit. His wife asked for a 'prayerful, reflective silence/moment' (can't remember the exact words) during the eulogy and spoke about the importance of her faith, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they ask people to pray instead of just clapping.
    You'd never see me in a Shannon jersey :P

Now, now! Aren't 2 of the 4 scrum-halves (playing in different positions) in the starting 15 for YM from Shannon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great gesture by Tyler with his MOTM award and giving it to the Foleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The Times are running with it too. Not for me but if it gives the family comfort it does no harm.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Quinlan tweeted about it earlier and the IRFU have RT'd it now too.

It seems like a bit of a weird thing for a kid to think up and yet at the same time seems like exactly the kind of thing a kid would think up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

George Clancy reffing Toulouse V Wasps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Standers wife is fairly active on twitter, I would suggest maybe contact her.

Standers wife why??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

dregin wrote: »
    George Clancy reffing Toulouse V Wasps.

Did I notice the Toulouse players all had 8 on their back also?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭leakyboots

That's a sponsor apparently

sasta le wrote: »
    Standers wife why??

Because she's active on Twitter. Frequents Killaloe/Ballina regularly. Knows the Woods' and Foleys well, and to be fair, she did get back to me. Fair play to her

Because she's active on Twitter. Frequents Killaloe/Ballina regularly. Knows the Woods' and Foleys well, and to be fair, she did get back to me. Fair play to her

Fair play indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

"Anthony Foley commemorative programmes to be reprinted by Munster" http://www.the42.ie/munster-anthony-foley--3045354-Oct2016/?utm_source=twitter_self

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement