Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to become more articulate and polished

• 15-10-2016 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Exactly - what can I do to become more articulate and polished in the way I speak English (or in general)? I am not a Native speaker, to add here, but feel I could also improve in my Native language. Aside from joining a debate club, what else can one do day to day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Press_Start

Sounds utterly rubbish, but speaking in the mirror, speaking to yourself, blogging or vlogging.
    Just speak and write, read and research issues that interest you, and don't be afraid to talk about them at any given opportunity.
    Speaking in the mirror working on your diction and phrasing is important also! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DaithiN

Speak up, not ah, eh but: It sounds straightforward enough, but make sure you speak loud enough for people to hear you. The added benefit is that by speaking at little as 20 per cent louder than normal you will reduce the amount of filler words (ah, eh, but) you tend to use. It’s very hard to say “eh” or “em” with this higher than normal tone. This feels strange to do but sounds perfectly normal.

Outside them make a list of the stories you most frequently like to share and become an expert at telling them. Write them out word for word. Cut as many unnecessary words as possible and make sure the main point is at the end of the sentence. Even better if it's the last word.

Hope that helps!

Advertisement