Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Drivers:popping off for tea.

Options
  • 14-10-2016 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭

My bus arrives. The driver, hops out and pops into nearby shop for cup of tea. Two minutes later he hops on the bus again. And off we go. Starts drinking his tea while driving.

I get off at my stop and run to catch my connecting bus but it takes off. I have a twenty minute wait for my next one.

Am I angry? Boy am I angry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

And so you should be. Unacceptable behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Gosh forbid the driver gets himself a cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

And maybe spills it when driving, causing him to lose control of the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

sugarman wrote: »

Yeah, on his designated break time, not mid route.
    Look out the window plenty of car drivers drinking coffee especially in morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Would you be okay with a doctor/teacher/taxi driver stopping during their job while performing a service for you for a cuppa?

• Advertisement

In fairness OP, you wouldn't have been late for the other bus, if the other bus driver had also stopped for a cup of tea.

So there's two ways of looking at it, really..

More seriously, I don't mind the idea of a bus driver spending a couple of minutes out of the bus getting tea, using a toilet, stretching the legs, etc. you can't expect him to be a robot because he drives a bus. :)

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Would you be okay with a doctor/teacher/taxi driver stopping during their job while performing a service for you for a cuppa?

I'd be confident they all do. Between appointments etc. the only difference is the taxi driver. If the meter was paused, I wouldn't mind at all. Especially if it was a long journey fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I'd be confident they all do. Between appointments etc. the only difference is the taxi driver. If the meter was paused, I wouldn't mind at all. Especially if it was a long journey fare.

But am not talking about between appointments. If your doctor is examining you I don't think he's going to leave the surgery to get a cup of tea?
    Drinking hot drinks as a professional driver? I am not sure that is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Yes
    He may as well blame traffic lights, passengers getting on/off and other traffic for him missing his connecting bus. They all played a part.

20 mins wait time is acceptable on public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

bobbyss wrote: »
    My bus arrives. The driver, hops out and pops into nearby shop for cup of tea. Two minutes later he hops on the bus again. And off we go. Starts drinking his tea while driving.

I get off at my stop and run to catch my connecting bus but it takes off. I have a twenty minute wait for my next one.

Am I angry? Boy am I angry.

that's not really a connecting bus. Noone should leave themselves only two minutes to connect. Twenty minutes would be far more sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think it's still done now but not on my route as its changed. But on oliver plunkett road there's 2 chippers, drivers used to regularly stop on the way to dun laoghaire for something to eat.. on a busy day you could be 10 mins waiting for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭frankyboy1986

I was the driver and it was a coffee btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Yes. I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

A human bus driver...fair play to him popping in for tea....keep him alert to road dangers to protect his passengers....

And..assuming this was dublin bus....no such thing as a connecting bus...if not DB ignore this comment ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

it could be the case that the bus was 2 minutes early and waiting time so the Driver took his opportunity. Not the end of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭bobbyss

that's not really a connecting bus. Noone should leave themselves only two minutes to connect. Twenty minutes would be far more sensible.

I don't know.

My second bus departs at eg 11:00. Not 10:58.

But I could have been there anytime before departure as per normal without the driver induced delay. It would be irrelevant if I was two minutes early or ten minutes early. The bus still leaves at 12:00. I arrived at 12:02 instead and I saw my bus departing from its stop as I was running towards it.

We lost the two minutes because driver decided to have a cuppa. What about if that was the last connecting bus at night? That's really upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Did the bus leave late because he got a cuppa or did he get a cuppa because he had time to spare? It's all how you tell the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I walk past a driver who does this every morning.

I'd see no problem with it usually, except he parks in the bus lane, causing carnage when all of the buses behind him have to merge into main lane which is already at a standstill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ah, God be with the days (back in the 1970s) when bus crews could be seen hopping in and out of various pubs on the quays during their breaks. I kid you not. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Dont leave yourself only a two minute window to catch connecting buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If it was a procedure as long as a driver's shift, I'd expect them to take a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

If the bus was late leaving according to its time table then passengers have a legitimate complaint with dublin bus.

If the bus leaves at its designated time then what the driver does before hand is nobodies business. Tea and cake. A walk in the park to pick flowers. He can go for a back massage if he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Give that man a pay rise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Little did you know, OP, that if the driver had not stopped for tea he would have been 2 minutes earlier for his route than he should have been. This would have meant an encounter with a speeding motorist, late for a meeting, who broke a red light and would have hit your bus head on, killing himself, the bus driver and 2 passengers, one of whom was just about to make a connecting bus. Count yourself lucky OP, he prevented a terrible catastroph-tea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah, on his designated break time, not mid route.

And maybe his designated break time was an hour earlier while he was still driving in traffic.

Maybe all drivers should just stop the bus in the middle of the road when it gets to their designated break time, instead of finishing the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thread summary: OP missed a bus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

rawn wrote: »
    Count yourself lucky OP, he prevented a terrible catastroph-tea.
    someone coudl have run red lights in front of him, which would have resulted in them being T-boned by the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op suggestion for you if you happen to come across this again ask him could he call control to ask bus to wait the minute for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

#firstworldproblem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Isn't it terrible Joe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement