Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodybuilding

Options
  • 14-10-2016 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi guys

Is it to late to start bodybuilding at 36?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 WizVigilante

Joe Hill wrote: »
    Hi guys

Is it to late to start bodybuilding at 36?
    Best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the second best time is now.

You're never too old to benefit from strength training of any kind. You'll still look better, feel better and have better mobility as you age. Ask yourself when you're 40 are you going to regret 4 years of training and looking after yourself? I started at 30 and 3 years later I cringe looking at pictures of myself from before I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joe Hill

You're never too old to benefit from strength training of any kind. You'll still look better, feel better and have better mobility as you age. Ask yourself when you're 40 are you going to regret 4 years of training and looking after yourself? I started at 30 and 3 years later I cringe looking at pictures of myself from before I started.

I am back in the gym a month and just feckin love the feeling it gives me. Also I am quite good at the dead lift.

How often a week would I need to go and how important is diet protein etc.

Do not wish to take powder supplements whey etc

How often do you train?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

However often keeps you going consistently. For bodybuilding diet is crucial. The general idea being to get about 1g/lb of bodyweight so a 180lb person would aim for about 180g of protein. You don't need quite that much but it's a nice round number to aim for.

Why are you against protein supplements???

• Advertisement

Your best bet is to pick a program that suits your goals. 3 days a week is a decent place to start but anything is better than nothing.

You'll make progress regardless for the first couple of months but diet is vital for sustainable progress. If you look after the calories and protein you're eating that will cover the basics. For counting calories MyFitnesspal is great. You'll have to work out your calories and protein requirements based on your bodyweight and activity levels.

You don't need powdered supplements if you eat right. Real food is always best, buckets of milk will cover your protein requirements, look to Blacktie's comment for amounts, and the avonmore protein milks that came out in the last year are a cheap solution.

I can't link you to a calorie calculator or programs because of the new account but some quick googling or another helpful user might sort you out. Google Stronglifts or Ice cream fitness for reasonable starter programs.

I train three times a week right now but I have trained up to 5 times a week in the past. 3 times is plenty when you're starting out but after a few years the gains come harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

You don't need powdered supplements if you eat right. Real food is always best, buckets of milk will cover your protein requirements, look to Blacktie's comment for amounts, and the avonmore protein milks that came out in the last year are a cheap solution.

it is in it's ar$e cheap. And what do you think they're adding the extra protein with? Whey and casein. Whats the most popular powders protein? Whey. What does it all come from? Milk

51g protein in Avonmore protein milk @ €1.89 a litre (tesco). That gives us roughly €3.70 per 100g of protein, or €37 per kilo.

Considering we can get 5kg bag of whey from myprotein today for €63.49 before discount (usually 15-25%).

Unflavored myprotein Impact whey is 82g protein per 100g. Giving us €15.48 a kilo.

Today's discount is 25% giving us €11.61 per kilo. Less than a third of the price of protein milk

Cheap in comparison to the protein shakes sold next to them, I was answering the question he asked. If he doesn't want to buy "powder supplements" I was offering a reasonable alternative. I didn't feel like proselytizing on the benefits of whey.

When I'm cutting I lean on impact whey hard to make up protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Cheap in comparison to the protein shakes sold next to them, I was answering the question he asked. If he doesn't want to buy "powder supplements" I was just offering a reasonable alternative. I didn't feel like proselytizing on the benefits of whey.

When I'm cutting I lean on impact whey hard to make up protein.

Sorry - came off a bit zealot-y in my last post.

True - off the shelf why prices can be ridiculous.

Lidl do a protein milk for ~€1.00 a litre. Assuming same protein % that brings us to just under €20/kg

I tried protein milk a few years back and felt like sh1t drinking litre of milk to get an extra 50g of protein in. Impact digests much better for me. Once I did the sums and found it easier on the stomach it was a no-brainer for me.

OP don't look at why like a supplement, it's more of a convenience food. And the Myprotein packaging is discreet - it doesn't have a veiny gurning guy on the pack; in case you're worried you missus is gonna think its 'roids.

No worries, we all get emotional about our supplements, just don't **** talk citrulline and we'll get along fine.

The unflavoured protein milk is horrible, I would happily chug gallons of chocolate Mooju all day but the vanilla Avonmore milk is palatable and doesn't have the extra calories of Mooju. The lidl protein milk is grand but you can't beat the price/convenience ratio of being able to grab 27g of protein in a half litre of milk for a couple euros at basically every shop going.

I buy the 5kg backs of unflavoured Impact Whey and have three or four of the flavdrops to make sure I don't get sick of any one flavour. The single point of failure is how forgetful and disorganised I am so out and about the off the shelf stuff is a lifesaver.

• Advertisement

Hi guys and gals

I have no issue with supplements per Se I just want to do it eating healthy.

However as my journey progresses I may need to go down this road.

Currently doing full body work out 4 days a week.

I would like to get a gym partner to help each other and push each other.

No worries, we all get emotional about our supplements, just don't **** talk citrulline and we'll get along fine.

The unflavoured protein milk is horrible, I would happily chug gallons of chocolate Mooju all day but the vanilla Avonmore milk is palatable and doesn't have the extra calories of Mooju. The lidl protein milk is grand but you can't beat the price/convenience ratio of being able to grab 27g of protein in a half litre of milk for a couple euros at basically every shop going.

I buy the 5kg backs of unflavoured Impact Whey and have three or four of the flavdrops to make sure I don't get sick of any one flavour. The single point of failure is how forgetful and disorganised I am so out and about the off the shelf stuff is a lifesaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Joe Hill wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals

I have no issue with supplements per Se I just want to do it eating healthy.

However as my journey progresses I may need to go down this road.

Currently doing full body work out 4 days a week.

I would like to get a gym partner to help each other and push each other.

Hey Joe Hill.

Would love to hear a progress report on how things are going ?

Advertisement