Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work experience

Options
  • 13-10-2016 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Such a bad experience today.

20 of us for interviews. The 4th person for interview comes out, gets phone call, he gets the job. So 16 of us left for 1 place. I felt gutted because we were informed of gender balancing and there were 2 girls out of 20 so we all knew one of them would get the job. Ugh!

Just venting but still the job on offer was also giving part time work for 4th year and 99% chance of full time after graduation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Follow up with your lecturer to make sure they're doing their bit in getting the rest of you guys further work exp opportunities & interviews, especially if it's on the course descriptor as being a required module to complete.
    If they are slacking or give you a snappy answer back ie "work to rule" "union tralala" then take it up with the students union immediately.
    Meanwhile try go seeking out the interviews yourself with companies that interest you. Companies & HR people do prefer people with initiative. the worst thing you can do is get a brilliant interview, get offered a placement and then end up hating the work / company and you sticking with it for prestige.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Is the placement part of your course or just a "nice to have" for the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

mrmeindl wrote: »
    Is the placement part of your course or just a "nice to have" for the summer?

Its part of the course. Tbh the organiser who is in charge of all work placements for the department is doing a great job. I sent him an email just to provide feedback of the experience. He said it is rare that companies hire before all interviews are completed and that he cant really stop them.

I am sure future interviews will be fine.

Advertisement