Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres! Makes/types/price/part worn?

Options
  • 13-10-2016 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

Its that time again where I am due to get 4 new tyres for the car, as it so happens (due to car changes) it has been a very long time since I had to get new tyres on a car.
    I have been doing some research online but seem to be almost more confused than when I started.
    It's a case of cost effectiveness. I do high motorway based mileage at steady speeds (65-70 mph). So looking for slow wearing over soft better handling tyres.
    Have a Passat with 205/55/16 wheels.

1. Part worn v New - The likes of tyreland say they offer 75% thread remaining + checked by some form of scan.
    2. Fulda/General/Maxxis/Nankang etc.. - Is there any standouts among the medium range tyres?
    3. Any good deals around the dublin area at the moment?
    4. Are budget tyres even worth consideration.

I know that there is no easy answer to what tyres to pick but I would long long mileage at reasonable cost (best value for money really). Aiming for approx 85 a tyre (or less if possible).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

It depends what you expect from them really. If you're fine with your car "drifting" at the slightest bend, then any cheap rubber will do. However if you like being safe and want some miles from them you should go with a well respected brand.

For motorway miles, I find Michelin (the energy saver + are robust and cheap enough) to be the ones to go for, mind you it can be down to driving styles and preferences. But you should find them within budget or slightly more + fitting.

Going for "used" ones wouldn't take my fancy, especially if you're going to put miles on them, it would simply shorten the time before fitting new ones anyway.

Make sure every wheel is perfectly balanced aligned and tracked, it makes a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm currently using fulda eco-control, and i find them very good in all conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Getting a brand is good but doesnt mean that the tyre is great.

To simplify it in simple terms,

Samsung is a good brand phone,
    Not all Samsungs Phones are good.

Same goes across board for Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I have seen Fulda eco-control and they seem to generally get good reveiws - safe and relatively fuel efficient and under 80 euro.
    Also General seem to be a brand that are well recieved.

There are so many types of each brand now and some its hard to find info on.
    I was hoping for some specific suggestions like fryup above where people have actual real experience with them.

Think I'll avoid the cheap Chinese tyres altogether. I hear mixed reviews about part worn tyres.

I am going to be doing approx 800km a week so I will be eating tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

I have seen Fulda eco-control and they seem to generally get good reveiws - safe and relatively fuel efficient and under 80 euro.
    Also General seem to be a brand that are well recieved.

There are so many types of each brand now and some its hard to find info on.
    I was hoping for some specific suggestions like fryup above where people have actual real experience with them.

Think I'll avoid the cheap Chinese tyres altogether. I hear mixed reviews about part worn tyres.

I am going to be doing approx 800km a week so I will be eating tyres.

Useful site. mixed reviews for the Funda eco control

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Fulda/EcoControl.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I can never understand people buying part worn tyres. How little value do they put on their life?
    Would you buy second hand shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Gwynplaine wrote: »

or second hand underpants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I can never understand people buying part worn tyres. How little value do they put on their life?

All the tyres on every car on the road are part worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Correct, part worn tyres are a false economy imo.

You should get a good mid-range branded tyre in that size for 85, something like Hankook, Uniroyal or Kumho.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

here are two others i've had in recent years....

Lassa Atracta....good wear, so so grip

Uniroyal Rainexpert......good grip, so so wear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Getting a brand is good but doesnt mean that the tyre is great.

To simplify it in simple terms,

Samsung is a good brand phone,
    Not all Samsungs Phones are good.

Same goes across board for Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear.

To some extend...

If you buy a premium tyre (Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli etc) - you'll not get a complete disaster. Some are better ,some are worse - but in general all premium will be good or better.

The same applies to the other end of the scale - if you buy a budget tyre (cheap chinese one, like Triangle, Goodride, ) - you will not get a good tyre. Some will be okish, but typically it is just a waste of time and complete rubbish. I've read that from those only Nankangs are worth looking at.

But if I was buying the tyres for myself, I'd settle in the middle - Hankook Ventus Prime 3 seems very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Allinall wrote: »
    All the tyres on every car on the road are part worn.

True, however I'd consider my car my responsibility. I would not fit a tyre that have been discarded by another motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If doing 800km per week I wouldn't be skimping on tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Find various brands etc on www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ and have a read of the reviews

Avoiding the cheap budget tyres. Just looking for a harder compound that will last better doing long distance rather than a soft compound that will not last.

Has anyone ordered off eirtyres before? I see they have a list of people who will fit them but it doesn't say if price includes fitting etc.

Will call into a couple of tyre places after work, just like to know some info before I walk in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Will have to visit a couple of garages later and check what they have in stock and recommend.

Has anyone tried eirtyres? Never considered ordering tyres online, but they seem cheap... I suppose the extra cost is in fitting and blancing?

Thanks that looks like a very good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Will have to visit a couple of garages later and check what they have in stock and recommend.

Garage will always recommend something they have in stock and that's not moving...
    Has anyone tried eirtyres? Never considered ordering tyres online, but they seem cheap... I suppose the extra cost is in fitting and blancing?

Make your local guy match the price of the online price+fitting. They usually can to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They will usually try and sell you cheap crap with the line that all the taxi men are using them, wear great, last long, etc.
    Oponeo is a lot better to deal with in my experience than Eiretyres.

• Advertisement

At the moment deciding between Fulda eccontrol HP and Nokian Line. Both seem good value for money and are cheap on oponeo.
    Local garage says 10 euro for fitting and balancing per tyre.

Final decision time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

VeVeX wrote: »
    or second hand underpants.

like tyres, as long as they haven't had a few skids, they would be grand :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Where are you based? If in Dublin it could be worth driving up to Newry now. Looking on the Kwik Fit Website you could get a Continental, Michelin, Dunlop or Goodyear in that Size for around 70 Euro a corner ( 62/ 63), fully fitted.. I have always found Dunlop's to be well wearing.

At Kwik Fit you can buy them online in advance, choose an appointment that suits you and drive up. While they fit the tires you could do some shopping or have a coffee somewhere etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am a big fan of Nokian, tried others in the last few years but keep coming back to Nokian for their quality.
    I rate them higher than many other manufacturers that I have used, a case in point being Michelin Crossclimate Vs Nokian Weatherproof.
    Having used both I think Weatherproof are longer lasting, quieter in use and grip better in standing water than the Michelin.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dermot10

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice please .. Has anyone ever had/used this brand of tyre. Zenises ztyre z1. The tyre label information is quite good. Wet : B rated, performance/fuel consumption: B rated, noise 72db..coming in at a very reasonable price at 55 sterling per tyre fitted..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

They are the same company that make linglong tyres, you get what you pay for with tyres, if its too good to be true then it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

FionnK86 wrote:
    Someone saw 3 lads simply pull the bike and the lock broke (housemate's lock too). They then walked toward Kilmurray and the White House. Security went out there as someone had started a fire on Maguire's pitch (they said could have been same guys). Apparently, UL is so open that it's impossible to have cameras everywhere.

I think Fiachna has done a pretty good job, I like his delivery and quite like the selection of music he plays. It doesn't particularly bother me that he regularly plays his own band's music or that he relentlessly plugged his wife's new business venture the other week, but I find it a bit cheeky at the same time. Not a sackable offence or anything, but still....

Its that time again where I am due to get 4 new tyres for the car, as it so happens (due to car changes) it has been a very long time since I had to get new tyres on a car. I have been doing some research online but seem to be almost more confused than when I started. It's a case of cost effectiveness. I do high motorway based mileage at steady speeds (65-70 mph). So looking for slow wearing over soft better handling tyres. Have a Passat with 205/55/16 wheels.

Nexen Tyres are worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dermot10

After a bit of research I put Uniroyal rainsports on my Toyota avensis, can't believe the improvement over the tyres I had on it(sava tyres). Paid €105 a corner. Really impressed so far with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

dermot10 wrote: »
    After a bit of research I put Uniroyal rainsports on my Toyota avensis, can't believe the improvement over the tyres I had on it(sava tyres). Paid €105 a corner. Really impressed so far with them.

Are they 2 or 3 I have had 2s on and were amazed with the grip but wore quick where have 3s now and last much longer but grip still amazing especially in the wet.

They can be a but floaty but suggest having at around 31 or 32 psi.

Advertisement