Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Couldn't comment on Connoisseur blend ( not sure if I remember it) but in general, if you drinking milky drinks then don't waste money on a good coffee, especially if you adding something else too( sugar /Syrup etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks for your comment @alec76. Not adding anything but milk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Does ALDI sell Maxwell House mild blend?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

10% off the Ethiopian Grade 1 Natural at WCC - 10% code: HADESO

https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/hades

Some bank holiday offers

Wexford coffee roasters 15% off 1kg beans COFFEE15

Bell lane 15% AUG15

• Advertisement

19% off at Velo coffee with code "GREATTASTE"

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Doesn't seem to be off everything but there appears to be more than just the 5 mentioned in the email.

CARBONIC MACERATION 200G COFFEE BAG LAOS

The above unfortunately isn't included but looks interesting, can't say I have had coffee from that region before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I was going to order from them, but they dont appear to have a roast date on the bag.I was upset already that Bell Lane sent me beans that had been roasted 6 weeks prior, then when I said it to them, they said it takes that long for them to be gassed, when I pointed out that it should take only 2 weeks, and , regardless, other roasters let me know the best date to use them, and then it's my choice, plus, If I buy 2 bags, one os not going to be used straight away, so theres a wait period anyway.

Personally, I prefer fresh, with a roast date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

This is the type of bull that would put me off ever ordering from Bell Lane, even if it's one person telling the story, it's a person with enough of an interest in coffee to seek out and post in a coffee nerd forum. Bell Lane shouldn't be trying to pawn off their old coffee like this, and I'd question any coffee I'd receive from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Agreed. I generally start using the beans the day after roasting, but they're probably at their best 1-2 weeks after roasting. But a roaster sending 6 week old beans out - using a price-point of freshly roasted beans would be very disappointing. Different if you knowingly order beans that are not freshly roasted. I used to buy beans from roasters when they were discounted - typically 4 weeks after roasting (e.g. 3fe, Coffee Angel, Bailies), but you knew what you were getting. Incidentally, I stopped using Bailies for exactly this reason. I'm sure they would taste just fine, but it's not what you paid for.

• Advertisement

Agree - very disappointing as always rated Bell Lane as top class. I complained once to another roaster about getting 2 week old beans and they gave me the degassing line - 2 weeks was fair enough though I made the point I'd prefer to make the call myself.

6 weeks is not what you are paying for. I am surprised they didn't offer to resend or at the very least a 50% off your next order code or whatever

yeah, i don't like to be taken for a fool, then after numerous excuses, and them 'finally' giving in , telling me I should have told the,-seriously....

Anyway, I put in an order Saturday with Wexford Coffee Roasters, I then followed up with an email, I asked them to send fresh beans or else to wait until they were roasting, and send my order then. I got an email on MOnday morning saying that they roast every monday and ship every tuesday, so I would have my beans on Wednesday, 2 day old beans-no bs about gassing, and 2kg of fresh beans, they have made one customer happy-I havent tried yet, but I got a Brazil and a guatemalan roast.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

I've gone from Artessa back to Dream beans in Louth. They have a new blend called Torero and it is excellent for espresso. Last order was delivered on 29th July and was roasted on the 26th. If you order 3 bags you get a fourth one free. I usually get 4 x 500g bags so it works out at 28€ish per kilo. Highly recommended. I've tried a few of their other blends too but the Torero is definitely my favourite.

I have used dream beans as well, them and cloudpicker would be my favorites.

Rave coffee in the uk were my favourite, but I cant get them since Brexit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,819 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The far bigger rip off than roast dates, IMO, is roasters like Velo selling in 200g bags instead of 250g. Their 'large' bags are only 700g, not even Ikg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Picked up a l'or coffee machine in Dunnes at the weekend as our nespresso bit the dust that morning. It takes nespresso pods as well as l'ors own brand XXL pods for 2 cups of coffee. Made by philips

It cost €70 and used a €15 off €60 voucher so got it for €55. Not bad in a pinch

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭breeno

Can they make a large cup of coffee? I have a nespresso vertuo here as a backup to my aeropress but the cost per cup is fairly high I find. Handy for a 230ml cup though.

A cheaper option would be good if you could make a big cup with the bigger pods.

Any discount codes on beans guys? They seem to have dried up :( Cost of living I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

The highly recommended Lidl /Brady’s coffee has shrunk from 250 ( actually 252) to 240g . I threw them an email and they said it was a mistake but it’s happened with both beans and ground ….Interesting to see how much they weigh next month .

Meanwhile I’m progressing on my coffee ‘journey ‘and particularly enjoying Bear Market Holy Roast ( Filter) with the Clever Dripper using this ‘drip not immersion’ technique

Beans ground with Timemore C2

Orange flavour is awesome , so strong I usually ‘dilute ‘ it with 20-35% cheaper beans ( Brady’s good , ikea Not so much unless you love ‘dark roast ‘)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

interesting technique, and I'd like to try it - but I'd like to know the volumes of water used in each stage - he says "big pour" stages after the bloom and before the final 40g pour with 80-85c water, and a total of 240g of water. This leaves only 200g of water for the bloom, and two pours.

How much water in the bloom phase, and the two pour phases?

What is the volumetric output? Somewhere around 220g is it? may be slightly less?

And finally, have you tried scaling it up from these supplied measurements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yep poss are standard Nespresso size and double size, marked as XXL

17g 40ml bloom at just off the boil /95C then 80ml to follow .Throw in a drop of cold water to the kettle and add another 80 ml . Then take it off the cup and add another drop of cold water to kettle and use 40ml to rinse down filter sides and stir . Add this into cup after 30-60 secs .

More detail in one of comments in video

You pretty much get out what you put in so I guess closer to 240 ml

I don’t bother too much with timings which make it seem a bit frantic

It does scale up but looses a little in finesse .

J think it’s important to not have a pool of water above coffee bed as it’s meant to be a drip not immersion technique by and large

Picked up some of this on your recommendation - pricey but nice, thanks. Agree about the orange! Not a bargain though so sorry for the Off Topic post.

BearMarket usually have deals on either shipping or beans especially for 'first time orders' .I doubt I am letting the genie out of the bottle by suggesting that there are ways and means of getting more than one 'first time order' .Certainly up till now they dont seem to have been sifting through delivery addresses /surnames etc with a fine tooth comb .Seriously though theyre a great bunch but its a bit 2022 that you cant 'walk in' to their shops and pick up a bag for the same or lesser price than online including delivery .

WCC 15% off the new Colombian - a honey processed 89. Looks special!

https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/maria-angela-paz-moreno

15% code: MARIA

.. valid until Sunday 23:59

and if the Colmbian isn't for you

10% code on ALL coffees, until Sunday 23:50.

Code: NEWCOFFEE

For tomorrow!

Cloudpicker

International Coffee Day - 01.10.22

To celebrate we have a fab

24 HOUR DISCOUNT !!!

Use discount code - INTCOFFDAY at checkout.

20% off all Coffee and Choc Lab selections.

12:00am - 11:59pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Last year there were deals for international coffee day (Sat Oct 1st) - anyone notice any others apart from WCC?

Nice offer - 20% off at WCC all weekend!

20% code: JAZZ20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

10% off Ponaire Coffee (everything) till 31st Oct. 3WXPQY87

Post edited by mad m on

Advertisement