Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily million scam

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Bob Z wrote: »
    I never of this before why does it depend on the amount of players?

The probability of the jackpot being won depends on the number of players. Like any lottery in the world, ever.

What is the point of this thread??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Strictly speaking, the probability of a win remains the same. The likelihood however is reduced by low player numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Strictly speaking, the probability of a win remains the same. The likelihood however is reduced by low player numbers.

The probability of YOU winning remains the same regardless of how many others play.

The probability of A win increases.

Again, if this is a scam, then so is the regular Lotto, Euromillions, your local GAA club lottery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

The probability of the jackpot being won depends on the number of players. Like any lottery in the world, ever.

What is the point of this thread??

but your numbers come up or they dont?

sorry im probably being daft here i dont know that much about it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The less players the less combinations of numbers have been bought and the less chance of them matching those drawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Serves me right for being lazy, but everytime i do the main lotto online and pick a 2 line quick pick, one number always appears on both lines. I wouldnt do the lotto weekly but have noticed this over the last couple of years. Seems like an intentional software glitch to reduce your chance of winning / well my chance anyways! :).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that is the probability of YOU winning. those odds are fixed. we are talking about the probability of somebody winning. the probability of that increases with every additional player.

Serves me right for being lazy, but everytime i do the main lotto online and pick a 2 line quick pick, one number always appears on both lines. I wouldnt do the lotto weekly but have noticed this over the last couple of years. Seems like an intentional software glitch to reduce your chance of winning / well my chance anyways! :).

if that number comes up then the "glitch" has increased your chances of winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

They just need to broadcast the draw for this game. A simple web cast will sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

They just need to broadcast the draw for this game. A simple web cast will sort it

How would that change anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

MOH wrote: »
    How would that change anything?

If they broadcast a draw. Ie. Balls being picked from a machine then there is far less chance of it being a scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

it is a scam do you ever notice how its always numbers below 40 that get picked? no higher numbers are ever picked

it is a scam do you ever notice how its always numbers below 40 that get picked? no higher numbers are ever picked

Its an audited draw. Not understanding probability does not make something a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

L1011 wrote: »
    Its an audited draw. Not understanding probability does not make something a scam.

Our banks were also audited before they went belly up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Psychology Study

if a maths person bothered they could look at how much people are winning the other prizes to get an idea of how many people are playing. I wouldn't have a clue how to do that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

That fact that the numbers only go up to 39 might have a bearing on that...

I'm going to assume that your post was sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

If they broadcast a draw. Ie. Balls being picked from a machine then there is far less chance of it being a scam

If someone was going to go to the trouble of running the whole thing as a scam, faking a webcast of a draw would be trivial.

It's not a scam.

I'm going to assume that your post was sarcasm.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I have no idea what you mean by that. i withdraw my previous post. It is clear now it was stupidity and not sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is another factor in play which nobody has mentioned - the set of winning numbers, how they relate to the layout of the lotto form and whether there is a preponderance of 'popular' numbers - corresponding to birthdays etc.

In the early days of the UK Lotto, there was a big jackpot won by one person early on which generated huge publicity. For the next couple of weeks there was no winner so the jackpot rose to some big number like £19m or so. After a draw on a Saturday evening, it was announced that the jackpot had been won so there was massive speculation about how the winner was going to spend the large amount of money that they were soon to collect. However it was then announced that the jackpot was to be shared by about 20 winners so for each winning ticket holder, their 'jackpot' was reduced by 95% from the amount they thought they might have won if they were holding the sole winning ticket.

At first glance, the winning combination of numbers looked pretty random and there was widespread puzzlement as to why there was suddenly a large number of winners when several previous jackpot draws were won by one person or nobody. It turned out that the winning combination was a pattern of numbers that matched a 'random' selection of someone ticking boxes on the lotto ticket from top to bottom in a zig-zag fashion so that combination of numbers was over represented in the draw. The solution to this was that the lotto operators then offered the option of letting their equipment select a random set of numbers - the 'quick pick' as it's called here. Your chances of winning are the same but if you do win with a 'quick pick', chances are that you will share the jackpot with less people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

coylemj wrote: »
    There is another factor in play which nobody has mentioned - the set of winning numbers, how they relate to the layout of the lotto form and whether there is a preponderance of 'popular' numbers - corresponding to birthdays etc.

In the early days of the UK Lotto, there was a big jackpot won by one person early on which generated huge publicity. For the next couple of weeks there was no winner so the jackpot rose to some big number like £19m or so. After a draw on a Saturday evening, it was announced that the jackpot had been won so there was massive speculation about how the winner was going to spend the large amount of money that they were soon to collect. However it was then announced that the jackpot was to be shared by about 20 winners so for each winning ticket holder, their 'jackpot' was reduced by 95% from the amount they thought they might have won if they were holding the sole winning ticket.

At first glance, the winning combination of numbers looked pretty random and there was widespread puzzlement as to why there was suddenly a large number of winners when several previous jackpot draws were won by one person or nobody. It turned out that the winning combination was a pattern of numbers that matched a 'random' selection of someone ticking boxes on the lotto ticket from top to bottom in a zig-zag fashion so that combination of numbers was over represented in the draw. The solution to this was that the lotto operators then offered the option of letting their equipment select a random set of numbers - the 'quick pick' as it's called here. Your chances of winning are the same but if you do win with a 'quick pick', chances are that you will share the jackpot with less people.

I am sure the conspiracy nuts and everything is a scam/ripoff crowd were not subdued by that explanation any more than they are by the answers in this thread.

I have no idea what you mean by that. i withdraw my previous post. It is clear now it was stupidity and not sarcasm.

or was it?

or was it?

You can quit with it, whichever it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

i remember years ago all unclaimed prizemoney went into a special draw around christmas time ,seems they have stopped this so many years ago yet kept adding more numbers in the draws,the daily million has been won once this year despite now haveing 2 draws every day,its been getting more and more like a fix up on the punters and its mostly minor prizes being won weekly, and a lot of consecutive numbers comeing out also 2 and 3 sometimes every week
    Like · Reply · Just now

Advertisement