Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Litigation Solicitor

Options
13»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 26 Verified rep I'm a litigation solicitor, AMA

Why don't solicitors ever ring you back. ?

Because we are too busy!

Do you work in a big firm in a fancy office or small practice with the walls caving in?

Are you still using hardcopy files or is everything paperless?

Is there still gross waste of legal resources and as such costs due to out of date admin practices such as photocopying and filing and duplicate reporting?

Did you work in some other career or in some other facet of law prior to your current role?

How are management at the top to deal with? Are they professional or do they have free reign? Are promotion opportunities fair or is it a boys club?

Is there a lot of pressure to hit targets?

Thanks btw

I work in a a mid size firm - I have worked in big offices and small ones over the years

The office is paperless but only recently - so there was a transition - long one at that. Using technology and a good case management system is certainly the way to go.

There can be but not so much where I am

Yes I worked in the property sector before I went into law

In my office the fee earners are left to their own really - nobody is watching others however there are regular meetings to review files and if things aren't progressing it will be noticed and questioned but not in a blame way

No targets where I am but there is an expectation that you will progress files at a reasonable pace

kupus wrote: »
    What your take on the serial suer thats helping to bring many small businesses to their knees re costs of insurance..
    TO clarify Im talking about the small cornershops and not a tesco operation.

Do you see them as a cash cow or a parasite?

I have answered earlier re false/exaggerated claims.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Is it a busy court case that is distracting you from this Q&A?

It's one thing or another - it's making time - time management is probably a skill I lack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

The biggest thing that terrifies me about court is the legal fees. I know its highly subjective, but say somebody landed in the high court with a relatively straight forward civil case, say not paying a large bill or for some breach of contract , what kind of costs could you expect, thousands, tens of thousands ?

I have a concern myself that the courts can be used as a sort of weapon against people, if your a big fish you can threaten or even bring somebody to court on a flimsy case but still potentiall subject them to big legal fees and a whole heap of stress.

Thats no slight on the profession too, any profession is going to look for a hourly rate for there skills, I think solictors get a lot of heat because they are directly hired by the public and usually under unpleasent circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hope everyone enjoyed the AMA. Some very interesting topics covered, plus we've learned that time management is a very important skill to have :)

If you think that you could provide insight into a topic or profession, please apply to do an AMA of your very own right here.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement