Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to do LAPLAND on a budget!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Stonebabies

Birdie086 wrote: »
    A friend of mine had it booked for this year but obviously it got cancelled.
    She got tonnes of advice from a Facebook page 'Lapland on a budget'

That's our group! I set it up after being contacted by so many people so I had a central place to help. Thanks

GaryCocs wrote: »
    An old thread but I remembered it and was wondering if any boardsies did similar? Two kids 7 and 4. I reckon the 7 year old is going to be sketchy next year so it’ll be the last chance. Plus the year we’ve all had we might go a bit mad next year. Only live once etc. Etc.

I know very very early days but any advice would be appreciated.

Not early days at all, easyjet now fly from Manchester and Gatwick to Rovaniemi the hometown of Santa Claus and they released their winter 21/22 flights on 15th December.

Last January we flew Belfast-Gatwick-Rovaniemi with easyJet paying €61pp for all flights.

I booked our flights from Gatwick to Rovaniemi on 15th December paying £450/€490 for 2 adults and 7 kids for 10 days in January.

Having been a couple of times in December and in January we prefer January. There's more snow, less people, a little more daylight and flights are cheaper. You can still do everything up until the end of March/April bar SantaPark closes at the end of the first week in January.

I set up a Lapland on a Budget Facebook group to help others book themselves at a fraction of the tour operator prices, come on over and join. I've lots of information and tips in the announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Not early days at all, easyjet now fly from Manchester and Gatwick to Rovaniemi the hometown of Santa Claus and they released their winter 21/22 flights on 15th December.

Last January we flew Belfast-Gatwick-Rovaniemi with easyJet paying €61pp for all flights.

I booked our flights from Gatwick to Rovaniemi on 15th December paying £450/€490 for 2 adults and 7 kids for 10 days in January.

Having been a couple of times in December and in January we prefer January. There's more snow, less people, a little more daylight and flights are cheaper. You can still do everything up until the end of March/April bar SantaPark closes at the end of the first week in January.

I set up a Lapland on a Budget Facebook group to help others book themselves at a fraction of the tour operator prices, come on over and join. I've lots of information and tips in the announcements.

Are you going there Jan 2021?

If you want to see Lapland for yourself I have our last two trips in the highlights on my Instagram, just scroll account to see them.

Last January we flew Belfast-Gatwick-Rovaniemi where we did all of our excursions and saw Santa. We then hired a van and drove to Ranua one day and then drove up to Levi to stay overnight, we dropped into the Ice Village and Ylläs on the way back to Rovaniemi. (With 6 kids)

The trip before we flew Dublin Frankfurt-Helsinki with Lufthansa (one of the best airlines to fly with especially with kids) and got the overnight train to Rovaniemi. We did all of our excursions there, husky, reindeer, snow mobile etc. We then got the train back to Helsinki and the ferry over to Tallinn in Estonia for a couple of days before returning to Helsinki to stay overnight.

We opted for a long layover in Frankfurt on the way back so I could bring my 6 kids to see one of my favourite Christmas markets. Our bags were checked through in Helsinki and they also took our hand luggage free of charge, I just took an empty bag on board for shopping in the markets. I even managed to take home a 3ft nutcracker as hand luggage!

Instagram.com/itscherrystone

Car99 wrote: »
    Are you going there Jan 2021?

Our trip for January 2021 has been cancelled, I've booked January 2022 for 10 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

GaryCocs wrote: »
    An old thread but I remembered it and was wondering if any boardsies did similar? Two kids 7 and 4. I reckon the 7 year old is going to be sketchy next year so it’ll be the last chance. Plus the year we’ve all had we might go a bit mad next year. Only live once etc. Etc.

I know very very early days but any advice would be appreciated.

Wow, your 7 year old is sketchy?
    What is the average age? That seems really really young to me.
    Our youngest is 7 next month and our oldest is 11. All three are fully committed.
    Yea next year could be different of course and I do expect that having older siblings will generally mean the younger ones don’t get as long out of it.

Might try look at a trip next year, looks like we will need a break of some sorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

That's our group! I set it up after being contacted by so many people so I had a central place to help. Thanks

It's a great resource, my friend found it brilliant and I will be hopefully using it in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Seve OB wrote: »
    Our youngest is 7 next month and our oldest is 11. All three are fully committed.
    Yea next year could be different of course and I do expect that having older siblings will generally mean the younger ones don’t get as long out of it.

Might try look at a trip next year, looks like we will need a break of some sorts!

my six year old is asking questions, the neighbours kid is 11 and makes out he believes but he told herself its only because he will miss out otherwise

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JohnDeereIE

Our 7 year old came in and told us that Santa is not real. That parents buy the presents, a child in school told her. We convinced her that we couldn't afford the toys :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JohnDeereIE

Our trip for January 2021 has been cancelled, I've booked January 2022 for 10 days.

Why in Jan? is it the same with Santa already after arriving?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Our 7 year old came in and told us that Santa is not real. That parents buy the presents, a child in school told her. We convinced her that we couldn't afford the toys :p

A colleague’s son was absolutely convinced when Santa brought something his parents would never , ever have bought ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

A colleague’s son was absolutely convinced when Santa brought something his parents would never , ever have bought ...

PS5 for Dad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

Still believes but asking a lot of questions. She’s like a bloody detective. I can’t see it lasting two more years. Her best friend is youngest of three which won’t help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I remember this thread from years ago - were going to plan for this year too but obviously didn't work out. Our eldest is 8 as well so possibly on the brink of it, so might start planning for next year. Interested to know if it's still as magical for the kids in January as well.

Why in Jan? is it the same with Santa already after arriving?

We've been in December and January, we prefer January as there's less people, the days are slightly longer, flights are cheaper, there's more snow and you can still do everything in January that you can do in December.

Santa Park in Rovaniemi closes at the end of the first week in January other than that everything is still open until end of March/ early April. You can also still see Santa.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    I remember this thread from years ago - were going to plan for this year too but obviously didn't work out. Our eldest is 8 as well so possibly on the brink of it, so might start planning for next year. Interested to know if it's still as magical for the kids in January as well.

Honestly my kids still had every bit as good a visit as non believers as they did when they believed. Santa is only a tiny part of the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

Soooo off to Rovanemi, two days there and two days Helsinki.

Top things to do in both?

Have Santa Park booked already, thinking Huskies and Northern lights.

Not sure about helsinki yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

santa village is great. No need to book, just get there and wander around. Visit santa, pop into the post office and send a few cards. Enjoy hot chocolate in the cafe. We didn't go to santa park, as we found the village to be great. Did a dog sleddding half day trip, pricey but really good. i wouldn't do it again due to the cost, but really enjoyed it as an experience. We didn't do northern lights as the weather wasn't playing ball when we were there. Also, my kids just wanted to spend lots of time playing in the deep deep snow around the cabin.

Had a day in helsinki, and it pished rain, biblical rain, so much rain. Was pretty miserable to be honest. Window display of the dept store was well worth a look. There was an indoor food market near the harbour that was good too. Too wet for the christmas markets but they looked interesting.

Advertisement