Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Yes and Yes.

You have to remember that the Bible is not one book. It is a volume of books, each telling a different story. The volume is split into 2 halves, the Old Testament, and the New Testament.

The Old Testament was basically the collection of books outlining Jewish law at the time, and the New Testament is everything from when Jesus was born (well just before, actually) up to about 400AD. AFAIK Jews still follow the OT, and Christians follow the NT.

Of all the books in the Bible, the 4 Gospels are taken to be factual. These are the books telling the story of Jesus's life. The main events, placenames, rulers of the time etc. can all be corroborated from other historical sources, so the Gospels are taken as fact. Hence the phrase, the Gospel truth.

And Yes, it is soooo worth a read. Its not nearly as hard or as word-y as people think. Each chapter is about one computer screen long, and the longest book I have come across yet was only 25 chapters. Yes, some parts are tedious, but overall, its a good read.

Jesus was a complete revolutionary. If he was around today, he would be disliked / liked the way Paul Murphy is. He didn't give a sh1t whose feathers he ruffled and in the end, it cost him his life. Its refreshing to see that life may have been less technological 2000 years ago, but people had the same problems as today. Jesus was the original hippie and he had the right attitude. The media today has the most completely wrong perception of Jesus / religion imaginable. Read the Bible for yourself and see.

Here's a link to the one I've read. Have a look, and make up your own mind:

http://www.catholic.org/bible/book.php?id=47

I'm fairly sure it didn't cost him his life? Didn't he magically spring back to life? And then floated off to heaven after a short respite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Pray for AH now and in its last agony as the Bible is Fact brigade post another Bring Back Jesus thread. Please send them to Religion where they can discuss these critically important matters in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Birneybau wrote: »
    Best piece of fantasy until Lord Of The Rings came about. And then Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials'.

You need to broaden your taste :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Grayson wrote: »
    I didn't notice that but I probably missed it and can't be bothered reading back.

I don't know if there's much moral knowledge in the bible. If you include the old testament then there's far more nastiness in it.

I do think there is a lot to be gained from it as an understanding of human nature. It's a big part of our history. Probably the most recognisable book in western culture (although harry potter and fifty shades are giving it a run). I'd recommend reading it. I'd say the same for the holy books of most major religions.

The Qu'ran is repetitive nonsense as opposed to the bible which is less repetitive nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The Qu'ran is repetitive nonsense as opposed to the bible which is less repetitive nonsense.

The problem with the Koran/Quran/Qu'ran is that it's composed of a number of books which are not in chronological order. They're ordered longest to shortest. Can you imagine of the boble was like that with stuff all over the place.

It's also supposed to be very lyrical and melodic when read aloud in arabic. Which is useless to us since we don't speak arabic.

Personally I found that Bhagavad Gita to be nuts.

• Advertisement

Lantus wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure it didn't cost him his life? Didn't he magically spring back to life? And then floated off to heaven after a short respite.

There's stories about how he survived the cruxi-fiction. (geddit)

There's a load of different ideas. Some suggest that he just faked dying and then legged it. Supporters of this idea say that people rarely died after a few hours on a cross, they also point towards the body being hidden, the body disappearing and people seeing him afterwards. (btw, it's called the Swoon Theory :))
    http://www.beliefnet.com/faiths/christianity/2006/04/could-jesus-have-survived-the-crucifixion.aspx?

Some people (muslims) say that it was actually a body double that was killed.

Others have this idea that he legged it to the far east. There's even a tomb for him there.

I forgot to mention the mormon theory. After the Crucifixion (in which he died) Jesus legged it to the US. But Mormon beliefs are crazy even by christian standards.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've been tempted to read it for awhile, I mean it probably the most influential book of all time.

Might pick it up at some point and read one book a month or something.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I forgot to mention the mormon theory. After the Crucifixion (in which he died) Jesus legged it to the US. But Mormon beliefs are crazy even by christian standards.
    Others believe he slipped away to a life of peaceful obscurity in Los Angeles, where nobody fcuked with him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Maybe, but the musical is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Birneybau wrote: »
    Best piece of fantasy until Lord Of The Rings came about. And then Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials'.

A bit off topic but, you know The Silmarillion which was written by JRR Tolkien and edited by his son Christopher was influenced by the bible. The story is basically an allegory for the book of Genesis. You have Eru(God) who is the creator, Melkor(Lucifer) the fallen elder god, the creation of middle earth which is like the creation of Earth, and the fall of man which could be attributed to the fall of mankind from god's graces. Of course it's also influenced by the Greek and Norse religions too, so I guess there's a mixture of religious mythology there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Riddle101 wrote: »
    A bit off topic but, you know The Silmarillion which was written by JRR Tolkien and edited by his son Christopher was influenced by the bible.

Was an awful book though.

The Narnia books would also be very heavily based on the bible - creation ressurection talking animals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

Is the Bible classified as factual work?

Also, is it worth a read?

It is a mix of romanticized history legend and poetry.

It is comparable with the legends of ancient Greece and Rome, India, Egypt and Babylon.

For the ancient Romans and Greece the figure of Achilles and Theseus were as real as Jesus is to Christians today.

The story of David and Solomon and the Dravidian dynasty is gripping stuff - the Godfather was heavily influenced by it especially the baptism scene where Michael Corleone wipes out his enemies in the same where Solomon gets rid of his father's old enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Was an awful book though.

The Narnia books would also be very heavily based on the bible - creation ressurection talking animals etc

Haynes Manuals deal with creation and resurrection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭solodeogloria

Good morning!

Warning - serious post on After Hours coming :)
    Another warning perhaps - I'm an evangelical Christian.

Yes, it is worth reading. It isn't quite like any other book in so far as it is the extensive account of God revealing Himself to humanity from the beginning of creation to revealing Himself most supremely in Jesus.

I know others will disagree but I take the Bible extremely seriously because it tells us about what's most important in this life.

My life is utterly shaped by it.

Much thanks in the Lord Jesus Christ,
    solodeogloria

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Anyone who believes its factual and that all teachings and or stories from it should be applied to modern day life should just go straight back to the caves as theres not much hope for them

Its worth a read if you want to be horrified and reinforce any doubts you have about the church

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

VinLieger wrote: »
    Anyone who believes its factual and that all teachings and or stories from it should be applied to modern day life should just go straight back to the caves as theres not much hope for them

Its worth a read if you want to be horrified and reinforce any doubts you have about the church

What teachings would you like not to apply?
    Maybe, don't murder or don't commit adultery or perhaps love you're neighbour and live at peace with him.!

VinLieger wrote: »

Good morning!

By a cave, do you mean a terraced property on the outskirts of a large city? :pac:

On a serious note - I'm keen to understand others with whom I disagree and if the question is what do you make of the Bible of course saying it is the living Word of God is an answer.

Let's not prejudge one another.

solodeogloria

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Maybe, don't murder or don't commit adultery or perhaps love you're neighbour and live at peace with him.!

Definitely all of the above,

Im fine with being able to sell my daughter into slavery at my whim, in fact im perfectly fine with pretty much all slavery of anyone especially children of anyone who was not born Israel, putting anyone who works on the sabbath to death, putting anyone who sleeps with a person of the other sex to death, encouraging 42 children to be mauled to death by bears for jeering me, not wearing clothing made of 2 materials, not eating eating rabbit, shellfish or pork which the bible strictly forbids for no real reason but hey the bible says not to, treating women who are on their time of the month as virtual pariahs who should not be seen for seven days until they're impurity has finished and consider anything they touched during this time as unclean.

Yeah im fine with all of that I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Good morning!

By a cave, do you mean a terraced property on the outskirts of a large city? :pac:

On a serious note - I'm keen to understand others with whom I disagree and if the question is what do you make of the Bible of course saying it is the living Word of God is an answer.

Let's not prejudge one another.

solodeogloria

I believe the new testament to be a collection of myths passed by oral tradition first, then committed to paper before being continuously translated/mistranslated or deliberately amended over time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Is the Bible classified as factual work? No.

Also, is it worth a read? No.

Did a bloke called Jesus, Emmanuel, Yeshua, Brian exist? More than likely.

Was he the son of God? No.

Did he perform Miracles? No.

Is it the most exaggerated piece of nonsense ever written? Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

There is a passage from the Bible that says if two men are fighting and a woman steps in amd grabs one of the men by the scrotum her hand shall be cut off. There will be no pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Here so...

If we're all god's children, what's so feckin' special about Jebus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭tigger123

There is a passage from the Bible that says if two men are fighting and a woman steps in amd grabs one of the men by the scrotum her hand shall be cut off. There will be no pity.

In fairness, that's hard to argue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Advbrd wrote: »
    Is the Bible classified as factual work? No.

Also, is it worth a read? No.

Did a bloke called Jesus, Emmanuel, Yeshua, Brian exist? More than likely.

Was he the son of God? No.

Did he perform Miracles? No.

Is it the most exaggerated piece of nonsense ever written? Probably.

Pfft. You forgot to add /thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Stoning adulterers, selling your daughters into slavery, killing women when they've been raped, or, you know, just not killing people generally?

Or will we start with the basic ones, like not being allowed to make pictures of what you think god may look like?

Shenshen wrote: »
    Stoning adulterers, selling your daughters into slavery, killing women when they've been raped, or, you know, just not killing people generally?

Or will we start with the basic ones, like not being allowed to make pictures of what you think god may look like?

Good afternoon!

I think this is a misconception of Christianity. Christians read the Old Testament Scriptures in light of Jesus and what He has said and done. All sin is truly deserving of death (Romans 1:32).

Jesus Christ offers mercy to those who believe and if Jesus has done that for me, how could I expect death for someone else without being an utter hypocrite.

Mind you. The Old Testament law is good. (Deuteronomy 4:2). I don't believe that it does encourage death for women who are raped. It is also a category error to conflate slavery in the ancient world to the 17th century slave trade.

We'd love for you to ask more on the Christianity forum.

solodeogloria

Good afternoon!

I think this is a misconception of Christianity. Christians read the Old Testament Scriptures in light of Jesus and what He has said and done. All sin is truly deserving of death (Romans 1:32).

Jesus Christ offers mercy to those who believe and if Jesus has done that for me, how could I expect death for someone else without being an utter hypocrite.

Mind you. The Old Testament law is good. (Deuteronomy 4:2). I don't believe that it does encourage death for women who are raped. It is also a category error to conflate slavery in the ancient world to the 17th century slave trade.

We'd love for you to ask more on the Christianity forum.

solodeogloria

Well, I think that's where our opinions differ greatly - I don't think any sin is deserving of death.

I'm not sure how you would interpret "If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die" (Deuteronomy 22:23, it would appear)? I'm kind of curious how that would not be encouraging death for the victim of rape?

I don't think slavery in ancient times was that much better than at any other time in human history.

By all means, believe in whatever makes you happy, but to pretend that the bible is a good guideline for moral behaviour takes some stunning amount of double-think Orwell would be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lamentabli sane

Picked up the Bible (New Testament and Psalms) to read cover to cover around 2013. Thought that the muslims read their books so as a Catholic I should see what our Gospels are about.

As I write this in 2016, I am a completely different person to who I was before I have read the Bible. My life has changed 180.

I am now firm in my life's purpose. I have "a superabundance of joy", this intense happiness that only God can bring into your life if you approach Him. I am free of any and all addictions. I look at women not with lust, but with awe at how the Lord "knocked the ball out of the park". I am faar faar less selfish than I was before. I can see myself growing in spiritual strength - sometimes I cannot recognise myself.

The Bible is really the Words of God revealed for our benefit. This holy Book can and will change your life if you only allow it. However, you must remember that the Bible does not read like any other piece of literature. The words contained in It have power to change. You have to ask the Holy Spirit for help, meditate on what you read, take the message as the truth that it is and apply it in your life. And watch the chains that bind you break, one by one...

• Advertisement

People are amazing.
    Reading the bible turned me from Christian to rock-solid atheist, I found it one of the most appalling books I ever read and wanted nothing to do with it or with the notion of god it portrayed ever again.
    For others it seems to have had the exact opposite effect.

Advertisement