Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car rental experiences

Options
  • 05-10-2016 11:53pm

I have an on-going issue with Avis rentals in relation to delivering a car back late (I didn't).
    While I have photographic proof, it appears to me that if car rental companies don't get you on stealth charges, they get you other ways and it's up to you to prove otherwise.

What's your own experiences of car rental companies and what should you look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This topic gets way more coverage over in the Travel and United States forums.

coylemj wrote: »
    This topic gets way more coverage over in the Travel and United States forums.

Thanks. I didn't know where to go with this- it was Europe not USA so didn't think it appropriate in USA forum- maybe it's a more a consumer issue.
    Mods, I'll leave it to yourselves to see where best to place this thread.

Thanks again.

Plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Dropped a car back to Milan airport, got a bill for €1180 for damage done to a front wing. Had a video of the car as well as an inspection sheet but they weren't interested. It wasn't us who damaged it.

No luck, they deducted the money.

Sent a solicitors letter threatening to sue for fraud, followed this up with an email of a copy of the letter to Hertz Ireland as well as Hertz Italy saying I'd every intention of going to the media with my little sob story. Money was paid back within two weeks, cited as a 'computer error '.

Oddly enough the Hertz Italy person dealing it was in an office in Swords, seems to be some European HQ there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Full insurance for a week cost me € 20 extra in the canaries recently, big dent in the door and a scrape, all not my fault, done while parked. Well worth it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Dropped rental car back to airport in Tenerife a few years back, took photos.
    Charged for damage done to back wheel arch, said nothing and asked when did they pick the car up from the airport, it was two days later so I sent my photo in and said it was their fault for not having an inspection/leaving it there for two days and had the photo on my side too. Money back within a week.

Florida, had a Budget Mini-Van where the battery died twice on me, they tried to charge me breakdown assistance, I told them they need to provide me a car in suitable condition and a car where the battery keeps dying was their responsibility, I drove to one of their locations and swapped for a different make/model, never heard another thing about it and never charged for the breakdown assistances.

My philosophy is polite and firm always.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

I had conditioned myself from experience that whatever I expected to pay for a car was going to be higher. Always felt the victim of extreme UP-SELL. I have since learned to say no. The last experience I literally had to say no ten times or more....however it works and now I always pay what I expect......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I now photograph everything and make them inspect it before I leave when handing it back.

In some rental places there's nobody in the car park doing returns or they're cleaning cars so will only inspect later.
    I also get car hire excess and I will keep a keen eye on my credit card for a month after the rental to make sure there's no stealth charges.

I got a 60 dollar charge before from Hertz for seemingly no reason and had to call up to sort it out. It was explained away as a mistake and was a 'currency conversion fee' that was applied in error.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I had a car hire in Italy last week for three days, was for a 1800km round trip. Was a 2016 Golf estate 1.6 TDI. About 800km into the journey the ''low oil level'' warning light came on (through no fault of my own - I just drove it).

Car had about 40k km on it so was concerning! Dropped it back to Florence airport and got it changed.

Still though, delayed me by a good 2 hours due to the car not being in suitable condition. Thought it was really poor.

I despise car rental companies nearly as much as insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

My last three experiences were in Europe with Hertz and Europcar, I booked and paid online in advance. In all three cases I arrived at the desk in the airport, was asked if I would like to purchase additional insurance, I declined and they handed me the keys. In all cases I handed back the car with a full tank and never heard another word so what I paid online before I travelled was what I paid - end of story.

Yes, I did take photos, including of the dashboard with the fuel gauge on full but they were not required. Moral of the story - stick to the big firms, the small guys will attract you with big discounts but you will eventually get screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

I rented a cars off enterprise a few times. Only ever for driving round Ireland though.

They never tried any stealth charges on me. Any time I dropped cars back to them they did an inspection and any deposit I had paid to them was refunded to my card immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

My only advice is to take a video of the car, interior and exterior, both on picking it up and returning. Have the radio switched on to a major news station so they can't claim the time of the video has been manipulated. Also make sure you get the tachometer and fuel gauge into the picture.

If they do try to overcharge and refuse to refund after two emails then get a solicitors letter and Bill them for that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Rented a Camaro SS 6.2L V8 in Los Angeles last year

It had 7k miles on it and long story short I ended up blowing the engine on the highway (my guess is that oil pump failed)

Called the Rental company up, they came to collect it on a flat bed and replaced it with a Brand New Mercedes E350 (5 miles on the clock, on dealer plates and everything still wrapped in plastic)

I complained that I wanted a Muscle car not a European Luxury Sedan, they tried to get me a Corvette but weren't able to get their hands on it so gave me the Merc, a discount and 200 free miles :)

Great bunch of lads!

camaro.jpg

e350.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Never had a problem with my rentals - used Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, Sixt and various others.

Sixt contacted me about a scratched bumper on return which I flagged up to them at the time, but were satisfied it wasn't my fault and nothing more came of it.

At the end of the day, they rent to many many people day-in, day out and the majority of the transactions will be free of hassle and we hear nothing of them. It's unfair to suggest they're bad in general, or adding stealth charges willy nilly. Half the complaints you hear about only contain 50% of the facts - much the same as any other industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,471 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hertz Ireland have screwed me over several times, deciding on extra fees for being under 30 and so forth despite no mention of it at any stage during the process. Even refused to give me a car on one trip.

Never had an issue anywhere else or with anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭gk5000

It's worth getting Car Hire Excess Insurance if you rent frequently or for more than one week.
    It costs about €50 per year.

Normally the rental policy covers you fully EXCEPT the excess which is normaly €1000 to €2000. It is this that the rental companies charge you insurance for - upto €10 per day. Everything else is already covered. It's a bit of a scam.

I took excess insurance online with AIG for Europe, cost €50 for me and wife for a year - as long as each rental is less than 30 days. There is probably a USA or worldwide package also.

I never claimed on it but it was great peace of mind, and then did not have to pay the extras.

The other thing is always book your care with arguscarhire.ie or rentalcars.com : then you get the cheapest car from all the car hire companies. But it can be expensive to have a second driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

The one thing about the excess insurance is that the hire company will still take the excess from you, and you have to later claim it back from your insurance company. So you are still down a large amount of money, at least temporarily. That's why I tend to take the hire companies own excess cover as I can dump the keys back on the desk with no worries. Costs a bit more but I dont rent that often,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

I hired a car off hertz for a wedding 2 years ago.
    They emailed me an inspection sheet with pictures which showed all the damage on the car circled in red.
    I collected the car at night . the following morning i found a lot of damage on the passenger side of the front bumper. I checked the inspection sheets which showed nothing circled on the front bumper.
    I couldnt understand how i could have done the damage, then i looked closer at the pictures. i could see the damage in the pics but they never bothered to mark it up.
    I brought it up when dropping the car back and they took a note of it and i heard nothing back from them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Damien360

I have rented plenty of times in Europe and once in US, all with Avis. I make a point of reversing out of the parking space, getting out and photographing as many panels as possible. This has saved me on a few occasions on return including a 520 in Zurich with more scratches than a cat basket. As soon as I take out my phone and show the number of pics, the arguing ends and they sign as perfect return.

I try to avoid the key drop returns as a colleague got ripped off on one of those for a tiny scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

To take another perspective...

...we had some young Swedish guys over some years ago to install some equipment and they hired a Micra from Cork Airport.

When the Gardai could actually catch them they were warned about testing the car up and down the M8.

Steve wrote: »
    Full insurance for a week cost me € 20 extra in the canaries recently, big dent in the door and a scrape, all not my fault, done while parked. Well worth it.

I purchased the excess insurance separately for a year for 50 euro. peace of mind without the high costs. made my money back in one rental so my next rental will be free excess insurance.

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »

I try to avoid the key drop returns as a colleague got ripped off on one of those for a tiny scratch.

well i've learned my lesson on that. it wasn't much but still i hate them for it.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Never had a problem with my rentals - used Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, Sixt and various others.

Sixt contacted me about a scratched bumper on return which I flagged up to them at the time, but were satisfied it wasn't my fault and nothing more came of it.

At the end of the day, they rent to many many people day-in, day out and the majority of the transactions will be free of hassle and we hear nothing of them. It's unfair to suggest they're bad in general, or adding stealth charges willy nilly. Half the complaints you hear about only contain 50% of the facts - much the same as any other industry.
    Well, I'm 100% sure Avis screwed me over royally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

9935452 wrote: »
    I hired a car off hertz for a wedding 2 years ago.
    They emailed me an inspection sheet with pictures which showed all the damage on the car circled in red.
    I collected the car at night . the following morning i found a lot of damage on the passenger side of the front bumper. I checked the inspection sheets which showed nothing circled on the front bumper.
    I couldnt understand how i could have done the damage, then i looked closer at the pictures. i could see the damage in the pics but they never bothered to mark it up.
    I brought it up when dropping the car back and they took a note of it and i heard nothing back from them

That reminds me a time when I was collecting a van I had rented (from a household name). They had the damage sheet ready and before I signed anything, I asked to see the van. The rep had an iPad to photo and document the process, and had the pre-collection "inspection" complete. I added another few items that were missed, and then took my own photos. There was some small items like scratches that were missed, but also a nice gouge on a side panel and a missing jack and wheelbrace. I think I added another 15 items to his list before I collected it.

Couldn't fault Avis..... although they gave me a Prius last year in Texas a month later the guy in that office upgraded me to a X5 35i for tiny money.
    Got an Audi A1 on a recent trip to the Algarve and again found them excellent. I generally book through BA who I have a frequent flyer with. Perhaps Avis less likely to mess about in that situation.

Picking up from them in Germany tomorrow evening so fingers crossed my good experience continues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I purchased the excess insurance separately for a year for 50 euro. peace of mind without the high costs. made my money back in one rental so my next rental will be free excess insurance.

Just be careful as to what this covers. It does not give you fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

Have hired US and Europe for years caught only in Ireland.

Hired a van off well known company for 1 day. Quick check but missed one tiny dent on bottom sill under sliding side door. On handing back agent went straight to dent and caught me for €200. Now I know to get on my hands and knees and crawl around a vehicle plus photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I love renting cars, but bloody hate rental companies. All the hidden charges and terms and conditions are deliberately ambiguous and confusing.

The most recent incident was with Avis, who charged my business partner €480 for damaging a BMW X3 alloy, because he allegedly kerbed it, which he didn't.

Aside from the fact that he didn't do it and the damage was obviously very old, they wanted the money for a new wheel which was ludicrous. Took about a month to get the money back. Have rented several times with full insurance since and no issues. The best thing about full insurance is no damage sheet; you can bring it back with the doors hanging off and just toss the keys over the counter. Adios amigos.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

I love renting cars, but bloody hate rental companies. All the hidden charges and terms and conditions are deliberately ambiguous and confusing.

The most recent incident was with Avis, who charged my business partner €480 for damaging a BMW X3 alloy, because he allegedly kerbed it, which he didn't.

Aside from the fact that he didn't do it and the damage was obviously very old, they wanted the money for a new wheel which was ludicrous. Took about a month to get the money back. Have rented several times with full insurance since and no issues. The best thing about full insurance is no damage sheet; you can bring it back with the doors hanging off and just toss the keys over the counter. Adios amigos.

Rented in Ireland; US; South Africa and Canaries\Spain and Portugal as well as UK. Mainly Enterprise in Ireland\UK - no hassles and take debit cards. Never any hassles but spend time inspecting and pay for "full" insurance just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Theres nothing worse that grinds my gears than a car rental desk. Too many bad experiences to recollect and i find that the majority working in this industry would sell their own granny to hit a sales target. America is without doubt the worst, a few years ago i rented with dollar, i had a prepaid voucher with full insurance and told the agent i had no interest in any extras or insurance upgrades, after a long flight and signing a digi screen i realised when i got to my hotel that there was $600 in extras incl sat nav & toll tags which i clearly didnt have and the obligatory insurance "upgrade". Was my own fault for not double checking the paperwork at the desk so i had to drive back to the rental desk to get it all taken off. This year i rented with fox rental and after 90mins queuing and watching them play every trick in the book i couldn't help but be annoyed before he even started into his sales pitch, once again i had an all inclusive voucher and after 15mins of arguing he insisted that it would be illegal for me to take the car without the insurance policy he was trying to offload. It took for me to ask if he was not prepared to give me the keys to the car and complete the paperwork without the policy and i reminded him that i had a legal contract that he would be refusing to honour. I took out my phone and told him i was going to record the rest of the conversation and he finally relented. I watched him scam 4 other tourists in front of me all in similar circumstances and he just wouldnt let it go and kept saying "i cant believe you are prepared to take a risk like this" he then cranked it up by saying the police would impound the car, i finally cracked and told him i didnt give a f*** as it wasnt my car so i turned around to the rest of the people in the queue and told them that this guy had scammed 4 people in front of me into taking out policies they didnt need and not to buy his sales pitch, i wished him a "have a nice day and good luck with your commission" followed up with a rage fuelled barrell of expletives.

As people have commented, camera phones are your friend. As most rentals are on a full tank out/return i would recommend filling up close to the airport and putting the fuel receipt beside the speedo (with ignition on) start a video here and it covers most spikey situations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Have rented in Spain, USA, Greece, Canada, NZ, Aus and Ireland

Worst experience was with the Irish rental.

Advertisement