Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixel Alternatives

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

youngblood wrote: »
    I know, its a years less updates, when I purchase I tend to hold on till they fall apart or stop updating

If I wanted, I could put Android 6 onto my Samsung Galaxy Nexus... I wouldn't worry about it all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

projectgtr wrote: »
    Finding it hard to replace my Nexus 5 , bar the battery its still perfect, was banking on the Pixel but its a bit rich for me right now. But im actually considering something ive never really done, hold onto the nexus at least another year. Bar battery life the phone doesnt feel dated and runs everything i throw at it. May just replace the battery if i can find an official one.

though i was considering a 6P

where did you see it for 400? i cant see it in stock in most places bar amazon and unfortunately they are sold by Amazon

Here you go, a 6P for €380, it was only 7 months ago i paid €550 and that was with a €100 discount

http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/huawei-google-nexus-6p-32gb-4g-lte-sim-free-unlocked-aluminium-silver.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Stacksey wrote: »
    Here you go, a 6P for €380, it was only 7 months ago i paid €550 and that was with a €100 discount

http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/huawei-google-nexus-6p-32gb-4g-lte-sim-free-unlocked-aluminium-silver.html

32GB non-expandable storage is not worth a fnuck imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Uriel. wrote: »

I've had a 32GB one for 7 months and i havent ran into any storage issues, photos all sync to Google Photos and I use Apple music for music streaming so the only thing i need 32GB for is apps and thats a sh*t load of apps to fill 32GB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭SteM

I've had a 32GB one for 7 months and i havent ran into any storage issues, photos all sync to Google Photos and I use Apple music for music streaming so the only thing i need 32GB for is apps and thats a sh*t load of apps to fill 32GB

Totally depends on how you use your phone. If you're flying a lot and want to load movies or TV shows for instance then streaming is a non runner. If you want to download Podcasts or music for your commute on your home wi-fi rather than use your data allowance, again it's handy to have storage. If you're recording lots of 4K video you'll need storage.

I wouldn't consider a phone with only 32GB without the option of expandable storage, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

SteM wrote: »
    Totally depends on how you use your phone. If you're flying a lot and want to load movies or TV shows for instance then streaming is a non runner. If you want to download Podcasts or music for your commute on your home wi-fi rather than use your data allowance, again it's handy to have storage. If you're recording lots of 4K video you'll need storage.

I wouldn't consider a phone with only 32GB without the option of expandable storage, that's for sure.

Just to add, not everyone even has access to a good data connection and even games these days are now taking up more and more space, with the last few I've installed hitting 1GB each easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

And just to throw in my 2 cents re storage.....Iv a 64gb oneplus two and iv 25 GBs of music put on it, 246 complete albums, im considering a 128GB phone or sd card option to put all 85GB of my full music collection!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

What are eglobal like to buy from , ive never heard of them. I take it google would still deal with warranty issues if any?
    Uriel. wrote: »

Ive had my Nexus 5 since launch , 32Gb model, not once have i needed extra storage, though all my music and photos are in the cloud so i tend not to need much space. 32 Gb is perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

SteM wrote: »
    I don't think the HTC100 discount code works anymore?

HTC15 code is now working, gets 15% off

however it is still quite pricey, 570euro and for some features, seems to be below the similarly priced s7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

It's worth mentioning that the Oneplus 3 isn't as much larger than the 5x as the screen size difference would suggest. It's about the same width and 5.7mm longer. Have a look (click 'view layered'): http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/OnePlus-3,Google-Nexus-5X/phones/10017,9593

best out of them all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

So similar to the OPs first question. What are the options for a Nexus style phone with the following characteristics:

Stock Like OS.
    Original Nexus 4 range pricing so 250-300 if I remember correctly.
    Decent Build Quality with metal or fake metal in parts.
    Currently has decent or likely to potentially have good future custom rom support. This is to allow some form of future updates.

Using the Nexus 4 as the reference point, I realise that the mix of great specs, android updates, premium build, and price will be hard to find. Realistically I'm looking for a midrange Nexus style phone.

The Moto G4 comes close without the premium build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Realistically I'm looking for a midrange Nexus style phone.
    So as with the OP you are looking for the Nexus 5X?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Kavrocks wrote: »
    So as with the OP you are looking for the Nexus 5X?

Or any other options available!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

5x although nearly a year old, seems to be the only phone that matches original specs, lots of Chinese phones out that look savage on paper, meet similar specs but people seem to have little hands on experience of them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

youngblood wrote: »
    5x although nearly a year old, seems to be the only phone that matches original specs, lots of Chinese phones out that look savage on paper, meet similar specs but people seem to have little hands on experience of them

Yeah I was thinking of this one for example - ZTE Axon 7 which has good reviews but as it's not pure android and no idea of hardware longevity it's hard to say how good it really is. It is coming in more expensive than the OP3 at €450 on amazon.de and you'd kind of wonder given the OPO's reputation so far, that the OP3 would be the safer option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

OP3 is an amazing phone, if it was just slightly smaller I would be buying

Advertisement