Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus discussion thread - Part deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭jj880

Ghostrunner is great. Its getting tough but they introduce something new at good intervals to keep you interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Petermc83

any idea what’s coming up for April??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Supposedly this is next months games

From the same person who has leaked the lineup for multiple months. But with Spartacus supposedly being revealed this week, could change

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With the talk of Sony's interest in more GaaS games, I wonder if they're seeing a good uptake with all these GaaS games they keep giving with Plus. Or maybe they keep giving them to see which ones with and which don't. Also giving them just to make up the numbers.

Going by that leak, next month's is Hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

If that line-up is true, that is the most uninspiring way to introduce Spartacus possible.

• Advertisement

Or maybe they'll user games with wider appeal for Spartacus. Like "stay with Plus and you get these 3 games but go with the new tier and get Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima" or something along those lines.

At a glance:

Sony overhauls games subscription offering to create three tiers: PS Plus Essentials, PS Plus Extra and PS Plus Premium

Extra includes 400 PS4 and PS5 games, but no simulataneous releases for new first-party launches

Premium tier features retro library, streaming and limited game trials

PS Plus Deluxe tier created for markets without streaming, prices for all tiers range from $59.99 to $119.99 per year

PlayStation is uniting PS Now and PS Plus to form a new three-tier subscription service.

PlayStation is uniting PS Now and PS Plus to form a new three-tier subscription service.

The new service, sitting under the PS Plus brand, is set to go live in June and will include a number of new features.

PS Plus Essentials is the same as the PS Plus service today, which includes two monthly downloadable games, online multiplayer access, game discounts and cloud storage. It also costs the same: $9.99/€8.99/£6.99 a month, $24.99/€24.99/£19.99 for three months, or $59.99/€59.99/£49.99 a year.

PS Plus Extra includes all of the above but adds a collection of 400 PS4 and PS5 games that can be downloaded. These games will include the likes of Spider-Man, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, God of War, Returnal, Mortal Kombat 11 and Death Stranding. More titles, including those from third-party developers, will be announced nearer the time. Additional titles will be added on a regular basis. PS Plus Extra will cost: $14.99/€13.99/£10.99 a month, $39.99/€39.99/£31.99 for three months, or $99.99/€99.99/£83.99 a year.

PS Plus Premium includes all of the above, but also adds classic games from the PS1, PS2 and PSP (which can be downloaded or streamed), time-limited game trials and PS3 and PS4 game streaming. This service will cost: $17.99/€16.99/£13.49 a month, $49.99/€49.99/£39.99 for three months, or $119.99/€119.99/£99.99 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So, basically Playstation Now is an tier on top of Playstation plus, and to get the backward compat games you use to get on now, its an added fee on top of that. I don't see how they compete with game pass, unless they offer Playstation exclusives release day and date on the the premium tiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You used to be able to have PSNow and not plus.

Now you cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It falls well short of Game Pass but it's not really fair to say that it doesn't compete with Gamepass as I don't believe they were ever looking to directly compete with it and they certainly didn't claim it (that I'm aware of) - I don't think they even could to be honest.

I think us as gamers hoped it would but it was never sold that way.

That's not to say I'm not disappointed it's not something more 😊, I just think I was more hoping it would be than having any real reason to think it would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

There weren’t any unwelcome surprises in that announcement, everything costs pretty much what I expected it to and the fact that regular Plus stays the same price with no changes is alright.

I’m quite tempted by the sound of the middle tier, curious to see what’s in the catalogue for it. If it’s mostly indie stuff I’ll give it a miss but I’d definitely bite if they offer a decent selection of full-priced titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's more that they split PS now between the 2 top tiers, you get the current PS4/PS5 in downloadable form as you can currently on Now and the streaming aspect along downloadable retro.

Were PS2, PS1, PSP games downloadable before or was that only PS4 and PS5.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Hold on, PS Now currently costs €50 for the year, which includes the ability to stream older games. If you now want to stream games then it essentially costs €70 a year on top of the PS Plus subscription which is a price increase of €20! What am I missing here other than a hidden price increase?

They better be intending on vastly improving the available game library or this is really poor from Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Now was €60 and Plus was too.

Discounted both were cheaper but the full price is the same. Might work out different at times as the discounts would differ between the separate and a new combined one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There are some PS2 games on Now. I don't think there were any PS1 or PSP games.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Very poor offering really. Demos? That's their big selling point? At the very least there should be a discount on new launch games from their digital store - bring that price down from €80 to €60 for top tier subsribers.

If Sony gave me an option to play GTAIV with the add-on DLC, I'd **** sign up immediately.

I've an awful goo on me to to The Lost and the Damned DLC

• Registered Users Posts: 29,503 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ton of PS games I'd love to play but like sorry said, i need to see a list of games before shelling out more money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It is quite funny that months after the initial leak, the official announcement basically just confirms what was leaked!

The library of games available in the upper tiers will almost entirely determine whether this is or is not a worthwhile change, and we have little to no information about that library yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

There are PS1 games. I played Ape Escape on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

€120 for the year seems extortionate no? What about people with plus already? Mine doesn't expire until January.

If you only have Plus, then the price doesn't change. You'll switch to PS+ Essential, the lowest tier.

€120 per year is what people who pay a 12 month sub for both PS+ and PS Now anyway, they're just seperate subscriptions. Now they'll be combined into one. People who want the PS4 and PS5 games from PS Now but aren't interested in PS1-PS3 games from Now can choose the mid-teir and save money.

Very little actually changes overall, both in terms of price and what you get. It seems like they're going to add more games to the middle and top tiers (both older games and PS5 games), but it's mostly just a re-jig of their existing models.

€120 puts it akin to Gamepass, though obviously without the Day 1 games. It's pretty much as close as Sony can get to it though, at least unless there's a substantial uptick on those picking the higher tiers who might not have been subbing to PS Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Sounds good in theory...but i'll have to see the list of games before investing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I for one will be signing up for the top tier!! Then i will not have time to play any of the older games. A year later I will notice €120 come off my bank balance and realise I forgot to turn off reoccurring payments. This will inevitably happen again the following year.

But they really need to sort out their mobile App. Streaming PSP games on your phone would be perfect. Not on a 60inch TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭jj880

My broadband aint up to streaming so mid tier looks interesting. Will wait until its out a few months to see the new game library and how often they update it.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭shawki

Returnal alone for me justifies the extra €40 for the mid-tier .

I've played it on PS4 but i wouldn't mind playing the PS5 version of Spider-Man as-well.

Just got the mail about this. Saying will automatically move me over when the time comes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Jacovs

What happens if you have PS Now sub until end of the year, but no PS Plus sub? What do you get moved to?

I'm not sure. The lowest tier is Plus rather than Now (in terms of content), so either it'll switch to it, or maybe you'll be given the option of switching to one of the higher-tiers but on a rated basis (eg. rather than 9 months of Now, you get 6 months of PS+ Extra or 4 months of PS+ Premium). I assume that due to the change in services, you can ask to just be refunded for the time remaining either.

• Advertisement

Advertisement