Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus discussion thread - Part deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Meant to say, I was reading a list of PS4 games that had issues on PS5 and Mortal Shell was on the list

Thankfully Cold Symmetry’s Soulslike is getting a formal free upgrade for owners of the original game in March, but in the meantime running in backwards compatibility mode Mortal Shell has some small HDR-related issues as well as some reports of save game loss. Best wait for the PS5 upgrade if you’re hankering for some masochism.

So if they do block the free upgrade, there may be some issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Games now available

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

This might have been covered but is this a slimmed down version of the main game somehow?

I did see an article title only that said the Devs said it wasn't a trial version!

It's essentially the post game. Have to pay to play the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ah okay, I see there's a €15 add-on to turn it into the normal game!

I'm going to reserve the words that I feel the devs can do to themselves with a hot poker for this kind of scum-baggery! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 27,832 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

They're also blocking the €10 upgrade for the PS+ version of Uncharted 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,503 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Same with final fantasy Vii plus version stopping the ps5 upgrade. **** practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I dunno. I get the feeling Sony aren't allowing the free upgrades because it isn't financially viable. MS have given gamers the idea that "free" is am option, but I'm convinced MS will eventually come out and say the same. I feel like MS is coaxing people in with these free on launch games and free upgrades, but it can't last imo.

Yeah, it's not great, but again they're free games so no right to complain. And no, I don't accept that they're not free because of the PS+ cost, that's for being able to play online and cloud storage. The free games are a bonus to me.

Then again, its also jot helped by people using every which way to get the cheapest version of whatever they want, be it through foreign storefronts, dodgy key resellers, stacking PS+ obtained during cheap sales, etc. Whole different conversation there, so won't get into it, but meh, I'm not too bothered by it.

Gamers are entitled these days. I too believe that €80 is too much, but I won't demand anything...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Microsoft have handled cross gen upgrades / saves etc a hundred times better than Sony. No ifs, ands or buts - MS have owned it, and Sony can’t help but look scabby and a bit miserable in comparison.

I don’t feel entitled to anything, by the way, but when your immediate competitor is doing things so, so much better with a smaller user base… well then there’s not really any good excuses for continuing to nickle and dime people who’ve already bought the game (or at least subscribed to access it).

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

My point is, the immediate competitor is throwing money at everything. That simply can't last imo. They're putting their hopes on more than just Xbox owners buying and keeping Gamepass. Its a massive gamble I reckon. And to me still shouts that MS only care about money, whereas I feel Sony actually care about giving gamers games. And money.

And yes, they've handled the cross gen stuff better but it was easier for them as the Series is just a beefed up One, whereas the PS4 to PS5 are a bit different, not just a "simple" hardware upgrade.

Only time will tell. I will of course eat my words if I'm proven wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah c’mon now, neither of the corporations is some benevolent entity in it to ‘give gamers games’ :) They’re both in it to make money above all else, and thankfully for us making good games is one of the ways they make that money.

It doesn’t really matter if GamePass doesn’t work out or is scaled back in the long term (although there’s every reason to believe it will work and Sony’s reportedly set to follow its lead). Truth is, right now and for the foreseeable, there’s one company that happens to offer an absurdly good value selection of games (including many brand new AAA and indie games) and a very user friendly, near seamlessly cross platform way of playing them. Alas, it ain’t Sony, and they deserve all the criticism they get for doing things half-assedly or greedily.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Honestly, I'm fine with paid upgrades, what annoys me is that they're not even giving the option for those on Playstation Plus. IMO Plus games should be completely equal to having brought the game - if there is a free upgrade then let people upgrade for free, if there is a paid upgrade then let people pay and upgrade. Hell, I would even be fine with a small fee for "free upgrades".

Instead If I want to play the PS5 version of Mortal Shell or Final Fantasy 7 Remake (I'm sure I'm forgetting something else) I have to buy the games even tho the PS4 version is sitting in my library, and if I want to buy the Uncharted collection upgrade I need to go and buy another game before doing that.

Yes, I guess Sony doesn't own us anything, but this is plain bad behavior if you ask me. I've paid for the games above with my Playstation Plus subscription, and I don't see why they should threat them differently.

PlayStation Plus gives you a license to play the games for as long as you have PlayStation Plus so you never truly own those games. If you or I have games through Plus, we haven't 'bought those games', we've bought access to a service which incudes those games as a benefit.

Buying Uncharted 4 or Lost Legacy outright/separately is you actually owning the game in perpetuity so they can't be equated. On that basis, if you own Uncharted 4 or Lost Legacy, you get the €10 upgrade path. If you're essentially using a license to play the game through the Plus model, you don't.

I really don't see it as unfair. If anything, its rewarding people who invested in Uncharted directly, which isn't a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

I still have those games in my library and I think they should be considered just normal games. I can see how binding the upgraded version to a PSPlus license might make sense (but I don't even agree with the current way it works, for me you should have access to the games you redeem forever, regardless of your plus status) but I still think they should offer free and paid upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭shawki

Yeah, it's bs that they turn on auto renew in the background every time you resubscribe to Plus or Now.

I'm sure they well cover themselves with the T&C's that nobody reads!

• Advertisement

Starting this Wednesday...

• PS Plus subscribers who previously redeemed @FinalFantasy VII Remake via @PlayStation Plus will be able to upgrade to the PS5 version of the game.

• Episode Intermission, the DLC featuring Yuffie Kisaragi, will be 25% off for a limited time!

Holy ****, i was just talking about this today. I wonder how much the upgrade will be and how much is the dlc with the discount.

As far as I know, the upgrade is free. Think the dlc is 19.99 so down to 14.99

I read the dlc is short but I'll bite at 15 especially as I'll sure it will play into the sequel when that releases in 30 years time. Anyone know if the ps5 upgrade has separate trophies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Doesn't have separate trophies in my experience anyway but the DLC is very well done and worth biting

Hang on, so they've released a remake of about 15% of the original game, and now there's DLC for it? If I've read this right, they're releasing DLC for a remake of a game that hasn't fully released yet... Hmmmm...

Advertisement