Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best automatic diesel?

Options
  • 03-10-2016 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I am looking to buy a reliable Automatic Diesel as I do a lot of mileage. I have 9k Euro to spend. I dont know much about cars so I am looking for advice on which automatics are the most reliable.

It would need to be relatively cheap on tax <500 and nothing older than '08. I am not fussy about the car as long as it is reliable and good on fuel mpg.

So far I have considered passat, Audia4, LexusIS200, focus, mercadez e220
    Any advice from someone in the know about Automatics would be greatly appreciated?
    I have heard the focus gearbox is not that reliable...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you do a lot of motorway driving?

I can't see you getting a cheap tax luxury branded automatic for €9k.

How much mileage are you doing?

I'd go for a Prius unless you're doing a lot of motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,152 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have you looked at any of the cars you mentioned as you're not going to get much of a 08+ Audi A4 or Merc E Class diesel for 9k. Also the Lexus IS220d was never sold in automatic.

If the low mileage on this Passat can be verified then it's worth a look:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/SPORTLINE-2.0/201014641023282900/

This Volvo S40 is worth a look at too if you don't need a lot of room:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volvo/S40/2.0D-SE/200814648594559770/

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Have a look at the Skoda autos. Superb or Octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

kgroarke wrote: »
    I am looking to buy a reliable Automatic Diesel as I do a lot of mileage. I have 9k Euro to spend. I dont know much about cars so I am looking for advice on which automatics are the most reliable.

It would need to be relatively cheap on tax <500 and nothing older than '08. I am not fussy about the car as long as it is reliable and good on fuel mpg.

So far I have considered passat, Audia4, LexusIS200, focus, mercadez e220
    Any advice from someone in the know about Automatics would be greatly appreciated?

Mercedes has been making automatic cars for decades and are pretty good at it. An E-Klasse might be a very good option, but I know very little about the engines nor bodywork (rust might be an issue with MB from that age AFAIK).

Any Ford with 2.0 HDI TDCI from 2008 would be paired with a Powershift gearbox (aka MPS or Getrag 6DCT450). It is a reliable dual clutch gearbox. Previous to that they were paired with 6-speed Aisin - a reasonably good gearbox. You can check which one particular car has at www.etis.ford.com.

Similarly to Fords, Citroen and Peugeot paired 2.0HDI with Aisin gearbox. I like C5 very much - it is a very comfortable barge.

I don't have a PhD on VW diesel codes, but I think the 2.0 diesel from that years might be a PD (Pumpe Düse) engine - and it is not the best engine from VW. The gearbox on its own (DSG6 aka DQ250) is a good box as well.

Laguna 3 2.0dCi is paired with Jatco transmission - very good combination. And because of Laguna 2 very well priced.

Audi will come with a multitronic gearbox, not known for its reliability.
    Lexus IS200 is a petrol. A thirsty even for a petrol...
    I have heard the focus gearbox is not that reliable...

Lol, I just love generalizations like that. With every engine and generation there is probably a different gearbox - some bad (like the CVT paired with 1.6 diesels), some good (like the Powershift)...

-- TLDR --

The most reliable automatic with diesel-like economy is Prius. You should be able to get a nice one for the money you have...

If you don't like hybrids, Ford 2.0 TDCI would be a good option, and a VW 2.0 TDI (provided it is CR, not PD engine) as well. Laguna3 2.0 dCi, Peugoet 508 and Citroen C5 2.0HDI are worth considering.

I've just came across this Laguna this morning: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-renault-laguna-tax-09-16/12610354

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kgroarke

Thanks for the advice. I may need to up it to 10k or go lower in years.
    Just didnt want to go lower in years with the insurance being the way it is (15 y/o etc)

That passat looks very clean, cheers for the link, is there a way to get mileage verified?

The focus gearbox was a generlisation because when i googled '08 gearbox there were a lot of bad reviews!! could be wrong

Drove a prius and they are just very flat to drive

• Advertisement

Easiest way to verify mileage is to confirm the service history. A vehicle history check might throw something up too.

So a ford focus 2.0 tdci has a reliable gearbox? are there different types or will any 08 - 2010 be the same

Reg check says that Passat is a comfortline rather than a sportline.

would the 08 passat have the multitronic gearbox or would it be a reliable one??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,152 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Strange spec on that Passat, it has Highline seats and the aluminium trim trin on the dash would suggest it's not a Comfortline either. That Passat has a DSG gearbox which would be more reliable than Audi's multitronic box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ginger83

grogi wrote: »
    Mercedes has been making automatic cars for decades and are pretty good at it. An E-Klasse might be a very good option, but I know very little about the engines nor bodywork (rust might be an issue with MB from that age AFAIK).

Any Ford with 2.0 HDI TDCI from 2008 would be paired with a Powershift gearbox (aka MPS or Getrag 6DCT450). It is a reliable dual clutch gearbox. Previous to that they were paired with 6-speed Aisin - a reasonably good gearbox. You can check which one particular car has at www.etis.ford.com.

Similarly to Fords, Citroen and Peugeot paired 2.0HDI with Aisin gearbox. I like C5 very much - it is a very comfortable barge.

I don't have a PhD on VW diesel codes, but I think the 2.0 diesel from that years might be a PD (Pumpe Düse) engine - and it is not the best engine from VW. The gearbox on its own (DSG6 aka DQ250) is a good box as well.

Laguna 3 2.0dCi is paired with Jatco transmission - very good combination. And because of Laguna 2 very well priced.

Audi will come with a multitronic gearbox, not known for its reliability.
    Lexus IS200 is a petrol. A thirsty even for a petrol...

Lol, I just love generalizations like that. With every engine and generation there is probably a different gearbox - some bad (like the CVT paired with 1.6 diesels), some good (like the Powershift)...

-- TLDR --

The most reliable automatic with diesel-like economy is Prius. You should be able to get a nice one for the money you have...

If you don't like hybrids, Ford 2.0 TDCI would be a good option, and a VW 2.0 TDI (provided it is CR, not PD engine) as well. Laguna3 2.0 dCi, Peugoet 508 and Citroen C5 2.0HDI are worth considering.

I've just came across this Laguna this morning: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-renault-laguna-tax-09-16/12610354

Hi, i'm looking for similar advice. I have to change my car due to a recent disability. I would need a diesel auto with push button start and possible electric seat. Budget up to 15k.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Hi, i'm looking for similar advice. I have to change my car due to a recent disability. I would need a diesel auto with push button start and possible electric seat. Budget up to 15k.

With high driving position? c-max.

grogi wrote: »
    With high driving position? c-max.

I'm not sure about drive position. Are there other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,445 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lexus don't make diesel automatics.

My vote would go with Volvo S80/S60 or Skoda Superb.

Do you need a high driving position ginger83? What sort of disability do you have?

Do you have issues with grip? Just wondering about the push button start.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do you need a high driving position ginger83? What sort of disability do you have?

Do you have issues with grip? Just wondering about the push button start.

I have Motor Neurone Disease so the push button would be very much needed further along as I progress.

I'd look at a Lexus CT200h or a Prius if you don't need an overly high seat. Reason being everything's automatic, the gears are an electronic switch so no effort, plus you often get stuff like a parking camera or even self parking which would really help. The Lexus is likely to have electric memory seats.
    They both have push button start.

These are hybrids, they're economical, but aren't diesel.

I'd look at a Lexus CT200h or a Prius if you don't need an overly high seat. Reason being everything's automatic, the gears are an electronic switch so no effort, plus you often get stuff like a parking camera or even self parking which would really help. The Lexus is likely to have electric memory seats.
    They both have push button start.

These are hybrids, they're economical, but aren't diesel.

Thanks very much for your help. I live in a rural location and do quite a few miles. Would a hybrid suit this?

They're very good for speed up/slow down driving. Where they're not as good is sitting at 120kmph all day.

How much driving will you realistically be doing?

They're very good for speed up/slow down driving. Where they're not as good is sitting at 120kmph all day.

Where is this coming from?

Prius will return around 5.5l/100km when doing 110-120kmh. It is not unusual to see economy of 3.x/100km when driving around 70-80kmh.

• Advertisement

It's coming from having had one as a company car and having sold them new and used.
    There are situations where a diesel is a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

To the Op,

I have just bought an 08 c class with auto with 107000 miles.

I was planning on keeping it about 6 months but if you gave me 8 k I would sell it,

It is 750 to tax but the excellent condition would make the extra tax palatable seeing as over two years the extra 500 in tax would be made up for in the price.

You should get a mechanic to look at it if interested

How much driving will you realistically be doing?

I go from Cavan to Dublin a bit to appointment so would be doing motorway journeys. I say around 20k miles a year.

The plan behind my thinking is my condition is progressive so as I get worse I will need more automation, electric start, auto gears, keyless entry, etc. All this will help me keep my independence before we've to consider a wheelchair accessible vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I go from Cavan to Dublin a bit to appointment so would be doing motorway journeys. I say around 20k miles a year.

The plan behind my thinking is my condition is progressive so as I get worse I will need more automation, electric start, auto gears, keyless entry, etc. All this will help me keep my independence before we've to consider a wheelchair accessible vehicle.

Sorry to hear of your illness, a prius shold suit you just fine especially when driven at a leisurely pace 120kph is no problem it's bombing along at 130 -50kph with the tdi boys where the prius gets thirsty. A good one should be very reliable too which should be another burden off your mind. You should also consider retrofitting a easy access swivel seat too I know one was a great aid for a family member of mine that had motor neuron.

Sorry to hear of your illness, a prius shold suit you just fine especially when driven at a leisurely pace 120kph is no problem it's bombing along at 130 -50kph with the tdi boys where the prius gets thirsty. A good one should be very reliable too which should be another burden off your mind. You should also consider retrofitting a easy access swivel seat too I know one was a great aid for a family member of mine that had motor neuron.

Thanks, was a shock at 31. I'll look into the swivel seat. What did your family member drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Thanks, was a shock at 31. I'll look into the swivel seat. What did your family member drive?

An 08 corolla saloon so reasonably similar to a prius in layout.
    A well spec'd prius should however have more of the electronically aided features you are after.

An 08 corolla saloon so reasonably similar to a prius in layout.
    A well spec'd prius should however have more of the electronically aided features you are after.

Great, never drove a hybrid. At what stage does it switchover to petrol?

Great, never drove a hybrid. At what stage does it switchover to petrol?

It does it constantly, switching the engine on and off depending on the power request. The transition is completely seamless, you don't realize when the petrol engine is running and when not.

Yep, the car is more clever than us so will switch between electric, petrol, or a combination of both.

• Advertisement

Yep, the car is more clever than us so will switch between electric, petrol, or a combination of both.

Does it run electric up to a certain speed or how does it work? It could be very suitable for me if the specs suit me.

Advertisement