Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angular VS React

Options
  • 30-09-2016 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Which do people prefer? I mainly work with angular and was looking to play with some react stuff but to be honest I think react has quite a terrible way of writing its components and stuff. I think angular has a much cleaner way to code and interact with HTML elements. But this is just my opinion. What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

Angular is extending HTML by injecting JavaScript, React simply puts HTML into JavaScript.

As a traditional web developer, the Angular approach makes the most sense - Ember and Knockout also have the HTML-centric approach. As a JavaScript developer, the React approach makes the most sense.

Angular 2 embraces the Web Components standard which is the way that future web development is headed.

Having been around since Web 1.0, the Angular approach has been more natural for me. But as a JavaScript developer React provides great freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

to be honest I think react has quite a terrible way of writing its components and stuff?

Why?

React has a much cleaner model in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Why?

React has a much cleaner model in my opinion.

Just a personal preference I don't really like JSX I would rather keep HTML as HTML.

Just a personal preference I don't really like JSX I would rather keep HTML as HTML.

I hear what you're saying, and I've heard the preference described as 'HTML in your JS vs JS in your HTML'. I get that, but are Angular 2 templates any more HTML than JSX is? Not sure how exactly they are interpreted by the browser as I haven't looked at Angular 2 much (moved from Angular 1 to React), but it seems like most examples show the templates embedded in JS just as JSX is.

Anyways, interesting to see some of the current front-end frameworks discussed on these forums, haven't seen so much of that here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

Having worked with both (Angular in a previous job and React in my current job) I much prefer React. I understand where your coming from about JSX, it took me awhile to get used to it but I would give it a shout. My biggest gripe with React is the amount of setup you need to get it working (babel, webpack etc). They are starting to address this with a simple CLI tool that handles all of the setup (react-create-app)

One thing that I love about working with React is that I am mostly writing Javascript, React has a very small API (dont forget React isnt a framework, its only a view library). While working with Angular, sure I became a better Angular developer but those skills dont translate outside of Angular, where as with React I feel I have become a better JavaScript developer.

• Advertisement

redman85 wrote: »
    While working with Angular, sure I became a better Angular developer but those skills dont translate outside of Angular, where as with React I feel I have become a better JavaScript developer.

Totally agree with this, and create-react-app is a great solution to the yak shaving issues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

Hi guys, I posted a separate question about which branch of Angular I should learn but I want to take advantage of the discount on Udemy at the moment, so perhaps those that are subscribed to this thread will see it quicker.

So I'm looking at job listings and a lot of them just say you need to know "Angular JS" .. so does that mean I should do a course in Angular 1 / 2 / 4 ??

As each course is around 1 - 2 weeks I can't really do all of them.

If I learn Angular 4 will I find working on Angular 1 straightforward, or completely different?

Hi guys, I posted a separate question about which branch of Angular I should learn but I want to take advantage of the discount on Udemy at the moment, so perhaps those that are subscribed to this thread will see it quicker.

So I'm looking at job listings and a lot of them just say you need to know "Angular JS" .. so does that mean I should do a course in Angular 1 / 2 / 4 ??

As each course is around 1 - 2 weeks I can't really do all of them.

If I learn Angular 4 will I find working on Angular 1 straightforward, or completely different?

Yeah Angular 1 is completely different. I wouldn't bother with it to be honest. 2, 3 and 4 are similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

Vue :D

Advertisement