Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Death (Sale) of TNA ?

Options
  • 17-09-2016 8:03pm
    #1
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭


    According to the New York Post, both WWE and Sinclair (who own ROH) have offered $40m to buy TNA.

    If true, it would be great news for "Have sat at home scratching their holes for the last 10 years before miraculously joining WWE at a high level" AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Sting, Bobby Roode, Austin Ares etc....


«13456710

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121


    I'm going to go out on a limb and say WWE doesn't buy TNA. Ever. Not even 1% of it.

    They really, really don't need to. A buyout by Sinclair I could see happening for sure though.

    If I end up being wrong, I welcome anyone to quote this and make a fool of me. :)


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter


    Seems frivolous of WWE to buy TNA, especially at that price; I suppose for the tape library as you mentioned. But WCW was bought for $2.5m. I know that was in 2001 but ROH would be more lucrative - and isn't a dead brand. (i.e. the name TNA is an active turnoff for many, despite the improvements they've made). WWE could get a far better deal! TNA's TV deal is worth NO MONEY - they don't get paid to produce the content. Literally just those tapes but who's gonna watch it on the network?


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88


    I would guess wwe would only want tna's tape library would be able to put out dvds for aj showing his whole career


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter


    Invasion 2.0 lead by Broken Matt Hardy who plans to delete Meek Ma Han you say!


    40m does seem a little high but I would like if it happened just so WWE could start acknowledging their existence and could do some proper career retrospectives


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89


    sky88 wrote: »
    I would guess wwe would only want tna's tape library would be able to put out dvds for aj showing his whole career

    There won't be too many WWE DVDs going forward as they are nearly obsolete in the current wwe with the excessive network & TV shows being genuinely turn offs to some fans which is why they are losing fans quicker than they can gain them.
    It isn't worth near 40 but everyone knows buying the tape libraries from ECW and WCW was a very shrewd move by WWE & a total bargain. As badly ran as TNA is Styles & Joe made their names on national TV with TNA, cause if AJ's popularity was down to New Japan they'd be touring the States independently instead of co-promotion. Plenty fans now are happy to see Styles doing well in WWE myself included even if I can't motivate myself to watch Backlash.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09


    To be honest I'd be happy if WWE burned down TNA it has offered nothing of
    value in years


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89


    To be honest I'd be happy if WWE burned down TNA it has offered nothing of
    value in years

    Still a place that can employ wrestlers who are stuck in a rut like Lashley, EC3, Galloway & Broken Matt Hardy who is very entertaining. Even if he ain't cool it's fun and stands out so much in 2016 a year of bland characters.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost


    Lord TSC wrote: »
    According to the New York Post, both WWE and Sinclair (who own ROH) have offered $40m to buy TNA.

    If true, it would be great news for "Have sat at home scratching their holes for the last 10 years before miraculously joining WWE at a high level" AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Sting, Bobby Roode, Austin Ares etc....

    To be clear the article said WWE and Sinclair were rumoured to have made bids but the $40m valuation was a pure guess based on WWE's valuation. I can't see Vince going anywhere near that amount.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭savemejebus


    Pentecost wrote: »
    To be clear the article said WWE and Sinclair were rumoured to have made bids but the $40m valuation was a pure guess based on WWE's valuation. I can't see Vince going anywhere near that amount.

    I think Meltzer said to take a zero off the figures being bandied about to get the accurate number.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev


    Lord TSC wrote: »
    According to the New York Post, both WWE and Sinclair (who own ROH) have offered $40m to buy TNA.

    If true, it would be great news for "Have sat at home scratching their holes for the last 10 years before miraculously joining WWE at a high level" AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Sting, Bobby Roode, Austin Ares etc....

    Nonsense figure. They got WCW for about $2.5m which they have made a lot on via DVD sales and online. It's not worth $4m, maybe $400,000 for the name and if they can get the rather useless TV slot but even still. Dixie's folks might hold out but it'd be a fools game, like trying to make money on a WWE DVD collection on adverts because you spent €2grand on it.

    I hope WWE buy it for the library, that said, there's no hope the TNA footage would make it to the network before 2035.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev


    Pentecost wrote: »
    To be clear the article said WWE and Sinclair were rumoured to have made bids but the $40m valuation was a pure guess based on WWE's valuation. I can't see Vince going anywhere near that amount.

    Why would WWE enter a bid with a competitor!? $4m for both ROH and TNA sounds optimistic.


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy


    4 million for the tape library would be a pretty good deal I reckon. There's some great matches in there (Unbreakable triple threat match springs to mind) and plenty of content that could be added to DVDs. If/when Kurt Angle comes back into the fold, his matches there would be of use for example). Of if they want to do DVDs in future on Styles or Roode.

    I don't want Broken Matt to become OBSOLETE though. His career must continue to be documented.

    (Honestly I want Broken Matt in WWE at some stage. Best character in wrestling now by far).


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne


    $4 million is the figure Dixie is looking for to get out. It's always hard to place a valuation on a company that essentially has no assets, no way to turn a profit, and a negative brand equity, but if with their marketing machine behind it, it feels like WWE would not find it too difficult to monetize that library and make their money back times two just using the footage they'd have on Angle, Styles, and Sting alone.

    I am bemused by the intense reactions TNA gets from some people. The people treating the idea that the TNA library will be on the network as ludicrous - any reason why? It's well produced weekly HD content featuring many of their stars. It's not going to mean huge things for the network but it's certainly of value. Why wouldn't they want it? Because the shows weren't great?

    Then you have someone who said WWE will never own TNA, not even 1% of it. Did you think for half a second before writing that? TNA is never going to turn a profit. They've been on the decline for years and the brand is deader than dead. Where did the tape libraries for every other dead promotion end up? Once you've answered all those questions, ask yourself where the TNA tape library will most likely end up.

    And then my favourite, the person who said TNA has offered nothing of value in years. If you haven't watched their product and you make it PAINFULLY obvious, why are you commenting? What are you adding? Are you just in here to prove you're cool because you can knock TNA? I rarely watch the show and I have zero faith left in the brand but I still have the decency to evaluate what they produce on its merit rather than just making blanket ignorant statement.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev


    4 million for the tape library would be a pretty good deal I reckon

    Nope. Not in the streaming era. Not even in the DVD era was it a good number. TNA as an initial is almost as good as junk. People need to get real.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne


    The Goldberg DVD sold 74,000 copies in its first month in 2014, and more than 100,000 copies all in. Last year they shipped 150,000 copies of Wrestlemania. If we say, conservatively, WWE is making 5 bucks a pop, that's between $3.5 and $5 million dollars. Even if you have that, that's 2 - 2.5 mill. And you genuinely, when you sit and pause and reflect for a minute don't think that with MORE THAN A DECADE of footage AJ Styles, Kurt Angle, Sting, Foley, Booker T, Flair, Samoa Joe, Kevin Nash, Chrisian can ship enough units to make 4 million measly dollars? Seriously, when you sit and do the maths, that's what you think?


    It is genuinely baffling to me when people filter the world through their own biases. I wouldn't pay a penny for a Goldberg DVD and I'd saw my own arm off before I'd pay to see an Adam Sandler movie but I'm not sitting here suggesting they shouldn't be produced just because I hate them. There are other people in the world, I am aware of that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe


    15 years ago WCW was sold for 2 million bucks, which included talent contracts and an arguably more valuable tape library. 4 million these days for TNA is a ridiculous number.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker


    Four million is too high but people bringing up wcw's price as if that was it's actual value at the time are way off. WWE got it extremely cheaply because AOL wanted it offloaded ASAP with absolutely no thought put into the assets they were selling off with it. Honestly the deal happened so fast and was so low I doubt even Vince put any thought into the value of the tape libraries and just wanted the ego trip.

    WCW was worth way more for the tape libraries by themselves, let alone the pretty strong chance of being able to get the brand on some kind of reasonably well recognised network still.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89


    Did WWE take over WCWs debt or pay those contracts so many of the higher earning guys sat on?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker


    ERG89 wrote: »
    Did WWE take over WCWs debt or pay those contracts so many of the higher earning guys sat on?

    Nope, all the higher paid guys were on AOL's dime. Booker T took a huge paycut to switch over.
    WWE basically bought the name, their archive and had the option of keeping on whoever wasn't on an aol guaranteed contact.


  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive


    Meltzer says about a million for the tape Library. You know the WWE will want to just make "The Fall of TNA". Where they get all the talents to crap on Dixie and say how great the WWE is.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero


    Meltzer says about a million for the tape Library. You know the WWE will want to just make "The Fall of TNA". Where they get all the talents to crap on Dixie and say how great the WWE is.

    I'd buy that for a dollar


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker


    Meltzer says about a million for the tape Library. You know the WWE will want to just make "The Fall of TNA". Where they get all the talents to crap on Dixie and say how great the WWE is.

    Why on earth would he waste any time attacking Dixie when he could be using that time to pick on jarrett!


  • Registered Users Posts: 60,495 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson


    ricero wrote: »
    I'd buy that for a dollar

    $9.99 :pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 38,145 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009


    Meltzer says about a million for the tape Library. You know the WWE will want to just make "The Fall of TNA". Where they get all the talents to crap on Dixie and say how great the WWE is.

    Titled WWE: TNA Zero Impact


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne


    Meltzer says about a million for the tape Library. You know the WWE will want to just make "The Fall of TNA". Where they get all the talents to crap on Dixie and say how great the WWE is.

    Important to note that this is based on what they generally offer for tape libraries, which is $500 per hour. I can see them paying more for full HD content featuring many of their current starts who they can market and sell footage based on than they would pay for mid south footage which (rightly or wrongly) they perceive to be less marketable. The way they've run their network has made it apparent that anything outside WCW and ECW is very low priority. In spite of the stink on TNA, it cannot be denied there is hundreds of hours of classic Joe, Styles, Sting, Roode and Angle matches which have to be of some value to them.

    Then again, it's WWE, so maybe they'll just stick to their modus operandi and offer 500 per hour.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC


    Meltzer on WOR says WWE back in the running to buy TNA.
    "So… We still don’t have a deal. And time is running out. There’s no money to fund this week’s television and PPV. Um, WWE is back in the picture, which is a really interesting thing because with WWE in the picture, it could be over. And, you know, Dixie could sell to whoever she wants to sell too and I guess it’s become very complicated. Billy Corgan talked to ESPN and said, you know, he wanted to buy it but...and he’s got the money to buy it but its a complicated thing.. and he talked like it’s a deal that would take weeks to put together. And they don’t got weeks. They got like…I talked to somebody there and its essentially.. they got until Friday because that’s the last business day before Sunday. They can’t really, you know, get everything to the bank and get the money in and all that and be ready on a Sunday. It’s just not going to work. So they got a couple days to get this deal done.

    Billy Corgan has also said that if he buys the company, he is changing the name of the company which, quite frankly, I would do. Just the feeling, it’s a tainted brand name and it’s just better to start with something else. Um, I would like to give it a little facelifting and get it out of Orlando, but, you know, financially, the last time they got out of Orlando, it cost them so much money that it really wasn’t worth it. And you know, they are really high on the Hardy’s thing. But everyday, you know, there’s talks going on, stuff going on and uh there’s not a lot of time.

    If they sell to WWE, they are pretty much done. It’s pretty much it. You know, WWE would buy the tape library and um… there’s so much there because one of the complicated things is all the debt. There’s millions of dollars that there in the hole right now. There’s more in the hole than it would cost to buy the company. So, that make’s it real complicated. There's people who might be willing to buy the company. It’s like if Billy or Aerolux, let’s just say one of them buys it. Well, the other one would have to, you know, buy the company from Dixie for whatever it is but they are also going to have to pay the other one, the money that they put in for all those TV’s, not to mention all the other money for god knows what is still owed… wrestlers that might be behind.. whatever.. there’s so much.. its like.. its not an easy deal. Last week, I was talking to somebody from the outside, and my feeling is because the time situation, that's not happening. That deal is not happening in 4 days. With WWE, that's not as difficult because you’re just selling the tape library. With WWE, everyone would lose their job. Well, not everyone. They would take some wrestlers but the company would be done though."


  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_


    Seems like it's a matter of when the TNA ship sinks so to speak.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot


    I think the whole Vinnie wants the library argument is being overstated at this point.

    I assume he couldn't just buy the library and would also have to saddle the debt and contracts that he's no interest in fulfilling in a lot of cases.

    Would he be willing to do all that just so he'll have a couple of documentaries covered years down the line?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker


    Dont understand why there's a price tag on it at all considering the debt. It should be a choice of whether Corgan et al want the company and will accept the losses or if WWE will cover the losses.


    They'll find the money from somewhere for the PPV, and then it's chaos.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker


    Ben Gadot wrote: »
    I think the whole Vinnie wants the library argument is being overstated at this point.

    I assume he couldn't just buy the library and would also have to saddle the debt and contracts that he's no interest in fulfilling in a lot of cases.

    Would he be willing to do all that just so he'll have a couple of documentaries covered years down the line?

    If I was moderately well off and that tape library was available, I'd be tempted to buy it just to have it. Having moderately well shot footage of a lot of big name performers would be a big help to people wanting to use wrestling footage without dealing with WWE.
    There'd potentially be a nice bit to make from that really.


    Don't see why Vince would bother being saddled with all that debt though.


Advertisement