Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

2016-2017 Champions Cup Thread

• 27-09-2016 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭ The Lost Sheep

With games only a few weeks away may as well start a thread for the season. Referee appointments for the opening 2 rounds of games announced today

http://www.epcrugby.com/officials/index.php

Round 1
    Leinster v Castres Matthew Carley (ENG)
    Connacht v Toulouse Luke Pearce (ENG)
    Bordeaux-Begles v Ulster JP Doyle (ENG)
    Racing v Munster Wayne Barnes (ENG)
    Irish refs in Round 1
    Wasps v Zebre Andrew Brace (IRE)
    Toulon v Saracens John Lacey (IRE)
    Exeter v Clermont Auvergne George Clancy (IRE)
    Also is 3 irish refs in round 1 in challenge cup
    Ospreys v Newcastle Falcons David Wilkinson (IRE)
    Grenoble v Lyon Dudley Philips (IRE)
    Bayonne v Gloucester Rugby Gary Conway (IRE)

Round 2
    Munster v Glasgow Warriors Jerome Garces (FRA)
    Ulster v Exeter Chiefs Alexandre Ruiz (FRA)
    Montpellier v Leinster Luke Pearce (ENG)
    Zebre v Connacht Matthieu Raynal (FRA)

Irish Refs in Round 2
    Toulouse v Wasps John Lacey (IRE)
    Bath v Bristol David Wilkinson (IRE)
    Gloucester v Benetton Treviso Dudley Philipps (IRE)
    Worcester Warriors v Brive Gary Conway (IRE)
    Edinburgh v Harlequins George Clancy (IRE)
    Lyon v Ospreys Andrew Brace (IRE)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CatFromHue

Leinster are going to win it

• Registered Users Posts: 888 Cathalthesmart

If Munster are at full strength I could see us sneaking a win in Paris. Racing are a superb team but I feel we have the game plan to hurt them, most of there superstars are in there back line but looking at there pack and particularly there back row I wouldn't fear any of them when we have a back row of POM,TOD and Stander.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭ Bridge93

If Munster are at full strength I could see us sneaking a win in Paris. Racing are a superb team but I feel we have the game plan to hurt them, most of there superstars are in there back line but looking at there pack and particularly there back row I wouldn't fear any of them when we have a back row of POM,TOD and Stander.

Eh they've a pack that can include any of Ben Arous, Szarzewski, Tameifuna, Van der Merwe, Nakarawa, Le Roux, Nyanga, Masoe, Claassen. They can and will do plenty of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 Cathalthesmart

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Eh they've a pack that can include any of Ben Arous, Szarzewski, Tameifuna, Van der Merwe, Nakarawa, Le Roux, Nyanga, Masoe, Claassen. They can and will do plenty of damage.

I was referring more to the front row. If we have POM,TOD,Stander playing we will do even more damage. Its still hard to judge are pack because we haven't played a top side yet, Leinster will be interesting viewing as it will tell us where our pack stands as Leinster have looked decent in that department so far.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 33,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pickarooney

I can't really see any clear victories for Irish teams in those opening rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭ Venjur

Really?

I would be betting on Ulster and Leinster to win their opening two games personally. Caste have always been very poor in Dublin. Montpellier will be a challenge but if they've lost their opening round who knows.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 33,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pickarooney

Maybe Castres but ubb and exeter are a cut above the Irish sides ATM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 former total

I think Connacht will have their sh*t together by the time they travel to Zebre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭ The Lost Sheep

Interesting to see that the qualifying competition which provides 2 places in the following seasons challenge cup will have a final that will be played as part of EPCR's 2017 Finals weekend in Edinburgh
    http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbychallengecup/2016-2017-qualifying_competition.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭ b.gud

Edit sorry didn't read the first post properly, see that Lost Sheep had already added the refs

• Advertisement

Irish Times is reporting that the two broadcaster model will be ditched at the next renewal, which will be great.

Also some guff about some games being FTA in Ireland but I'll believe that when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,365 ✭✭✭✭ molloyjh

Irish Times is reporting that the two broadcaster model will be ditched at the next renewal, which will be great.

Also some guff about some games being FTA in Ireland but I'll believe that when I see it.

Just reading about that....

http://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/champions-cup/more-free-to-air-coverage-in-ireland-is-where-we-would-start-champions-cup-chief-35107978.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 irishbucsfan

It makes sense in that BT wouldn't be particularly opposed because Ireland matters far less to them in the grand scheme of things since they sold their broadband customers here to Vodafone. So if they went with BT then they could include an agreement with them to split Irish rights over to FTA.

But noone knows because the tender process hasn't started yet and there are massive unknowns who could enter the market. Eurosport are now owned by Discovery, are hiring staff fairly aggresively, and are trying to expand their portfolio (just bought the European rights to the olympics for considerably more than the rugby would cost). Amazon are reportedly chasing tennis and rugby rights (2017 might come too soon for them) and it would actually make sense for Amazon to pair with FTA channels to mimic the American sports model. I think it's most likely we'll end up with BT or Sky as sole broadcaster but there's certainly a chance of a new arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006

Are Eurosport planning to become a subscription channel or remain FTA?

Are Eurosport planning to become a subscription channel or remain FTA?

No plans to become a subscription channel as far as I know

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭ icdg

Eurosport (or rather their UK/English version) already are a subscription channel - albeit a "basic tier" one rather than premium (You need to take a least Variety pack on Sky). Yes I know there are FTA versions operating in Germany and some other markets.

But re these rights - what I can see happening is a single pay-TV deal covering both UK and Ireland, with perhaps provision in it for one game (and I don't think it'll be any more than that) in each round going to a FTA broadcaster in Ireland, on a non-exclusive basis. Sort of like the Champions League.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,365 ✭✭✭✭ molloyjh

If BT were the broadcaster would it be possible that they might allow all provincial games FTA given that it's absolutely no skin of their nose to do so?

molloyjh wrote: »
    If BT were the broadcaster would it be possible that they might allow all provincial games FTA given that it's absolutely no skin of their nose to do so?

While everything has a price, I think it's pretty much impossible that will happen. Also it is absolutely skin off their nose.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 Adbrowne

While everything has a price, I think it's pretty much impossible that will happen. Also it is absolutely skin off their nose.

Not if they sell the games to RTE/TV3/TG4/whoever.

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Not if they sell the games to RTE/TV3/TG4/whoever.

There's multiple costs to that for BT Sport, including a likely loss of subscribers in Ireland

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »

But they're contractually tied to Eir (for the moment, at least), so if that is still the case in 2019 then FTA games are unlikely.

Maybe they'd give us a couple of 'tasters', like Sky are currently doing with Sky Sports Mix (which is actually a decent channel).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭ Winters

I would imagine the dual subscription mess inherited by Monsieur Gaillard has caused a loss in viewership, especially in Ireland.

The sooner they solve that the sooner they can start rebuilding the competition brand and value.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/european-cup/european-champions-cup-set-to-return-to-irish-terrestrial-tv-1.2818440?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm glad to read Italy being considered for a final as they were selected to host a Heineken Cup final.

Glasgow vs Leicester opens the tournament tomorrow night. It's about time Glasgow make an impact in Europe, just hopefully not at the expense of Munster!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭ errlloyd

But they're contractually tied to Eir (for the moment, at least), so if that is still the case in 2019 then FTA games are unlikely.

Maybe they'd give us a couple of 'tasters', like Sky are currently doing with Sky Sports Mix (which is actually a decent channel).

People can still buy BT sport on a sky package I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭ vienne86

errlloyd wrote: »
    People can still buy BT sport on a sky package I believe.

Yes you can buy the EIR/BT package. When I first took out the sub it was 99 Euro for 12 months but now it costs 225 Euro. Don't think I'll renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭ errlloyd

Anyone watching Quins v Stade. I know it's challenge cup, but I do enjoy Thursday night rugby.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Anyone watching Quins v Stade. I know it's challenge cup, but I do enjoy Thursday night rugby.

Yes indeed. Nice little treat!

Ben Whitehouse reffing tonight.

All Quinns so far - try already, with less than 5 minutes gone.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,055 Adbrowne

both teams moving the ball plenty. Will open up as it goes on too i reckon

Advertisement