Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any wittertainee's out there..?

13»

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm contemplating signing up for it, I was looking forward to the new "One Frame Back" feature they had mentioned on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Kind of crazy that they have a two-hour weekly podcast, and then additional material behind the paywall. All I want is a 30min-1hr long podcast of Top 10 + reviews of new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

It's a concern. I felt it often felt drawn out with just the BBC podcast. Adding another hour or two won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It was grand. I knew they'd hold some stuff back for Take 2 (which I won't be subscribing to atm) but splitting the interview is a bit much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

By the way, I think some said they just liked watching the reviews on YouTube; they're still there, just moved to a new channel understandably enough... the first episode's reviews already there; they have a very fancy new set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I thought that was fun. Yeah, concerned by how much they will put behind a paywall but we'll see. It was slightly odd to hear Simon lough. He's usually so deadpan previously. And thought their farcical attempt at the NordVPN add was funny. I haven't listened to it all yet. but looking forward to it Did they have a WTF section (Or is that now tied to Radio show?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Do they still spend 45 minutes reading fan mail laden with in-jokes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

There were still plenty of mails with in-jokes in the first week. I found the structure hard to follow but thats purely down to the new format as it seemed a bit scattergun but I'm sure it'll become more familiar over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

they seen to be doing the top ten at the end... which is a bit strange, all I want is Kermodes reviews (which he isn't doing anywhere else in accessible audio now... began to prefer his other podcasts :/)

Don't like the Terry Wogan/Ryan Tubirdy, listeners stuff the Simon Mayo likes.

the proposal in the second ep is a bad sign....

Public proposals are the worst but they did them in the old show too.

• Advertisement

would one not listen to Ali Plumb's Radio 1's Sceen Time https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02r4zfx/episodes/downloads never got around to it, would just watch his interviews on youtube.

I presume that the two guys just got too expensive for the BBC, they must be sick of their show being interrupted all the time by horse racing or cricket or what not, I always found that really wierd, do the BBC not have a sports station for hat kind of stuff.

There's an interview with Mayo where he said he hated working for the BBC and that the bureaucracy was 'soul destroying'. So whilst I'd say they certainly got a nice pay packet, I think it was more driven by how overbearing the BBC were.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Simon Mayo's 63? Yikes, time passes for us all but honestly I'd have presumed him the younger of the two, and only in his 50s.

hmm they got a show tv for a very short while in 2020, Kermode got 3 seasons of secrets, they obviously been trying to make the show somewhat visual, they tried doing filmed interviews......

re Well done U, competitions are always tricky.

I have no problem with them cutting the interviews in half if it means if I don't have to listen to the cringey listeners questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mayo's own comments in that article are interesting - not a fan of the article itself though. The author takes it upon themselves to put words in Mayo's mouth, talking about "woke" culture (highlighting it in blue and all, to link to their woke politics section'), when as we all know Mayo is as liberal as they come.

Bumping the thread, if only to ask & wonder: anyone bought subs for the duo's "Take Two" second podcast? Been tempted but not entirely sure either. Wouldn't be that interested in more interview minutes with the guests, so not sure what else there is beyond that, week to week?

Tbh I haven't been listening to Take One, it just lost something and I feel maybe they were better with the BBC leash. I also don't really like the new focus on TV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I haven't but was wondering the same.

I've been meaning to send in some feedback. There is something different about the vibe but I'm still happy to listen. They could ditch the laughter lift though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I think I know what you mean. The adverts break the flow too much (though there were news breaks in the BBC, it was at the top of the broadcast hour), while the breaking up of the show period also kinda makes things a bit unstructured. Never a mad fan of hiding content.

Strange they didn't just copy the format from the BBC, bits n all. Wonder was there some weird copyright issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Maybe it’s just because I listen to a lot of chatty, more casual podcasts, but there is a sense of ‘organised fun’ to proceedings on the Take. It all feels a bit rushed, even allowing for paywalled content. I still like Kermode’s reviews, but the show seems like it just wants to get to the end as quickly as possible at times.

They could easily cut the interviews though. I’m not a fan of promo interviews at the best of times, but ten minutes is nowhere near enough to get a conversation flowing. And then it’s just ‘more on take two!’.

Yeah "rushed" is about the right word; it feels like less time is spent reviewing movies than before, and as you say the interviews are kinda filler most times.

Even the bickering feels a bit reduced, bar a bit of a falling out over Thor Love and Thunder.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah reviews seem to be relegated to ten minutes at the end now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I actually did like the tv movie of the week feature but very happy to see the back of dvd of the week.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Throughout recent years, Mark has struggled here and there to get to all the films given the glut of releases so I don't really understand how it was a good idea to add television and other stuff to the shows remit and then significantly cut down the "film review" part of the show and keep it the same length as the last show.

The top ten almost feels irrelevant as they barrel through it like it's in the way. 

I should say that's its not categorically "bad" in my books, but it's definitely worse than it was. I listened to an episode from March of the BBC version a few weeks ago and it was night and day ahead in terms of quality and format/structure.

The paywalled content is very hit and miss with some really meh sections - it feels like an organised preamble. This week they added a new feature where Mark has to guess what old Kermode review is being read out by Simon. I mean, really?

I do still like it but it's just not on par with the BBC version. Not yet anyway.

• Advertisement

He's only finally doing a review of Prey this week and it's behind a paywall, yet that was the main film most film critics were talking about on the weekend of its release. I know it was straight to streaming but still.

This has been endemic since the new show. No real deference towards streaming movies at all and what we get are Kermodes thoughts on shows, months after they air, on Take 2 (or years, in the case of Midnight Mass).

As you point out it's kinda ludicrous; third time today I mentioned it but I watched Athena and thought this was exactly the kind of singular, creative vision Kermode might like - but instead we get more minutes blathering to Charlotte Rampling and a lot of nothing.

It's funny cos they make a big thing about the importance of cinema and as one of the biggest film podcasts out there could be promoting these interesting gems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The decision to review TV shows is insane. It's a completely different medium and doesn't lend itself well to singular reviews - especially when you see Rotten Tomatoes ratings for things where critics only go to see two episodes, etc.

They should've stuck with movies in cinemas and movies on streaming. Leave it at that.

I really dislike TV reviews podcast, I had to stop listening to The Pilot pod because they'd be saying things like "well all this makes sense in episode 2" or "there's a revelation in episode 3" it really started to annoy me. It's completely different medium as you say because you're often not reviewing a full story.

In an environment where there are more and more films being made due to streaming, the inclusion of TV was so disappointing as it took too much time away from film reviews. What is the value in reviewing Stranger Things, Better Call Saul, Ozark etc when they have baked in audiences and it means films get overlooked altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Indeed... I can understand reviewing a good new mini-series maybe, like the Black Bird one with Taron Edgerton, but there's no value in reviewing shows that have been around a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Kinda drifted away from the show the past while...reviews behind paywalls etc...and an incredibly short review section on take one...meh

I've actually gone back to watching the YouTube channel's reviews; I still enjoy those, what few remain, and at least the videos cut to the chase - but the podcast itself has become 🤷

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I'm quite a bit behind because I used to save up the episodes for when I'm travelling but travelling stopped for me during the pandemic so I'm now catching up 2021 episodes. I just found out that the smelly pants wee boy died, which is incredibly sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

More reviews behind paywalls...seems to be at least one per week which is irritating.

It really isn't the essential listening it once was, which is a shame. The reviews are too short and they don't go into much if any detail.

I tend to listen to the empire movie podcast and pilot TV before it now.

I just watched Kermode's review of Glass Onion and couldn't help but notice that Mayo seemed to be in foul form. Kermode made a few attempts to get his reaction to the film and Mayo just plugged their upcoming interview with Johnson and Craig. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

Advertisement