Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport - Terminal 3

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I wouldn't plan anything based on the CTA given Brexit. We don't know what form of Brexit will come to pass but if it's "hard" Brexit then the CTA will probably vanish as the UK seeks to close the open EU border. If they don't then there will be wide scale illegal immigration from eastern Europe into the UK via the RoI as there are already very many eastern Europeans in the UK who would be there to receive their friends and family. This is not a criticism, we Irish have also partaken in this sort of behaviour, it's just the reality. Aside from that, our EU partners will not allow us to maintain an open border with a country outside the customs union as goods could and would flow duty free into the EU via this route.

It all depends on what the UK decides to do and what the EU's reaction to it will be. Ireland will be a passenger in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

dfeo wrote: »
    CTA would require legislation changes.

How would it require legislation changes? The CTA has been in place for years already.

The current process for CTA arrivals is because its the law and not the daa been awakward.

Anybody entering thr State via an airport must present ID to officals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The current process for CTA arrivals is because its the law and not the daa been awakward.

Can you tell me what law? I don't believe the law says this but I've been wrong about things before.

Edit: I should also point out that I personally have arrived into DUB from ex UK destinations and shown my boarding pass stub.

murphaph wrote: »
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Can you tell me what law? I don't believe the law says this but I've been wrong about things before.

Edit: I should also point out that I personally have arrived into DUB from ex UK destinations and shown my boarding pass stub.

Will dig it out when on laptop but the daa examined pitting a CTA area as part of T2 but they were not allowed because of legalisation requiring all passengers present passports/ID.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have never been asked for ID on CTA arrivals to WAT or CFN.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    I have never been asked for ID on CTA arrivals to WAT or CFN.

I don't know all details but its not a case of building it at DUB and allowing it. Dep of Justice would need to clear it.

Put it this way would never expect the current set up to change. The UK have tried to do checks but unionists in NI got upset and it was not implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

this is Ireland, 50,000,000 was mentioned. If they can indeed handle that figure. maybe they cant, but they can definitely handle over the current 35,000,000 with modifications to the current terminals. I think we are a long way off getting a third terminal and realistically if the existing two can take that insane number, why would you build another one. Im assuming you are talking near a billion when you factor in everything that would need to be done, new terminal , roads etc

Taking me longer to find it but it in mid 90's it was changed to stop abuse of CTA area and while not intended to impact Irish/British people it inadvertently did as officials have a right to see ID so that why the current set up is in place at DUB and not going to change with Dep of Justice signing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

DAA presentation to engineers Ireland earlier this evening suggested that T3 wasn't necessarily needed as current terminals with modifications could handle 50 Million plus. Gent presenting said that a rail link was badly needed and that NTA or TII had said Metro was best option and that they had provided for the rail link in the Airport City design.
    A Metro would theoretically be best (if you already have it) but it would probably take 50 years to complete and finally cost 10 times what they said first. And then they would probably still not get it right and have to close it for safety reasons or they drill accidentally into the Port Tunnel and have to close that one as well then.

Easiest would be the DART. The DART goes to Malahide already so just a link needed from Portmarnock or so. Most the rail infrastructure is there already, Connolly station with a LUAS connection is there already and all the rail carts are also there already. Why builld a Metro from scratch then ?

They could even use the Phoenix Park tunnel and connect Dublin airport with a train service to Waterford, Cork, Limerick and Galway. Or, if the Phoenix Park tunnel can't handle that much at least they have a connection to Heuston Station where people can change. Then one DART line goes from the Airport to Heuston and one to Connolly. It's basically just the rail link missing between the airport and Portmarnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So anyone know the latest story with Terminal 3?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seve OB wrote: »
    So anyone know the latest story with Terminal 3?

There are no actual plans for one. Extra piers on T1 and T2 are what is planned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

According to RTE, the North Runway is suffering from NIMBYitis - I think the extended planning permission is to be challanged.

The Field II - coming to an airport near you!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Why is there not an entrance to T1 + security that is nearer to the RYR departure gates does anyone know? That would be great.

Some AL departures say T2 but actually depart from T1 sheesh.

Bit messy and easily solved.

Shops though, the shopping. Forgot about that bit. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Middle Man wrote: »
    According to RTE, the North Runway is suffering from NIMBYitis - I think the extended planning permission is to be challanged.  

The Field II - coming to an airport near you!
    hopefuly Fingal CC deal with such NIMBYism / special interests better than DCC with the recent north quays cycle path debacle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,573 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Advertisement