Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Nhat wins 2nd set!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Massive set by Nguyen there, RTE better not switch to the swimming heats with a game like this happening

Great result from McSharry looked strong and very relaxed the whole way, got caught in the last 2 lengths but she did well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭archfi

Nhat out matching point for point till the second half of the last set - but very enjoyable and great stuff from our guy.

Some strength and stamina required in that game!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Nhat did great, I thought he was going to pip it but his opponent pulled clear after what looked like some gamesmanship regarding an injury

You can see how Badminton is huge in some countries, it's a exciting fast paced sport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I fully expect Sean Haughey is flying out to Tokyo for the medal ceremony for the swimming as we speak

Echo the gist of the comments on Aoife O Rourke above - Im at work so the sound was down, but I thought she shades at least the second round, certainly had a better second than a first in my opinion. Her opponent, once ahead, was cute and played the referee by continuously holding, which is disappointing to be honest.

Anyway, great honest effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,329 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Looked dodgy alright - didn't seem to be anything much wrong with Wang at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

She's still only 24 - she's right up there with Kellie Harrington and Michaela Walsh in ability and can only improve in coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Enjoying the wider spread of medals so far normally America cleans up in swimming nice to see them getting spread around, bit of a dissapointing Olympics for America so far I'd imagine.

Swimming and Gymnastics not really going there way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

No they normally have a production line of superstars which has sputtered slightly. I mean their swimmers are still exceptional athletes but Ledecky isn't as dominant and there is no Phelps. Interestingly they are still on course for a similar amount of medals but a big reduction in golds. So far I count 17 events with 16 medals. 4 golds, 5 silver and 7 bronze. Contrast to 2016 when 34 events led to 33 medals with a 16/8/9 split. 18 events to go so plenty of time to tack some more on. 15 countries involved in the medals so far vs 21 last time (obviously this year's number will probably increase)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I've started an Olympics thread for all the athletics action, may be of some interest to people here 🙂

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058201263/tokyo-2020-athletics-thread#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Feck sake - a whole night of action, and I've only finished work and have to be back in at 7am, gonna miss the lot 😭

ETA - whoops, tried to copy/paste a link from twitter showing the timetable for tonight/tomorrow's action - and it sooooo didn't work 😖

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Same gonna have to watch the rowing final on my phone as soon as I get up as guaranteed it'll be on the radio

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The big race coming up.. would be fantastic to get on the podium but after all the hype I'd be a little disappointed if we miss gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Fingers and everything else crossed.

Timing looks great

That was brilliant. Well done lads!!

GOLD!

Yeeeessssss !!!! Gold !!!!!!!!!

Never in doubt !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Outstanding

As Des Lynam said at an Olympics years ago

You stayed up late tonight - you made the right choice !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yes - gold! 🥇🥇

But the Germans really made that more nerve-wracking than expected - great effort from them also, they just wouldn't go away. But the decision to split the O'Donovan brothers to get the two strongest rowers in the boat made the difference in the end.

Outstanding from the two lads, new levels of fame await them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭archfi

Ah well done lads, Ireland is very proud.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Jesus I left the telly on and that was a mental finish.

Could be a year too late for Puspure, 40 in a few months. Hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Have to feel for her... if the Olympics had been last year she would probably have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Puspure's Olympic nightmare continues : stroke rate of only 32 a few hundred metres out, meaning she was way below par

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Feel sorry for her. She was a realistic medal prospect.

Thankfully the Gold meant it was still worth staying up for

Advertisement